Friday, June 22, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "We put the lotion in the basket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Is a "Che" shirt equal to a shirt with the Confede

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

lancer_man

Expert Post Whore

Postby lancer_man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 am

Allen wrote:I would argue Che is actually worse. One can argue that the confederate flag represents regional pride iand many in the south view it as a symbol of the South and its history.

Che represents only the wearer's stupidity in all cases.

I was specifically pointing out the people who embrace the Confederate flag who live in (and always have) the North. I have seen this a lot in rural parts of the midwest and it always makes me laugh.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:28 am

Spiderrob wrote:No, you're missing the whole point of the cross to Christians. This wasn't a "hateful symbol that was "taken back."

It's not the equivalent to reclaiming the "N" word.

The most famous use of the cross is celebrated. In Catholic Churches all over the world, the murder itself is celebrated. and has been from almost the earliest days of Christianity. That's why the cross is used.

That's not what you are talking about. It's not "taking over a symbol of oppression." It's celebrating the most famous exercise of the oppression.
As most Catholics are wont to do, you're assuming that protestants should be thinking as you Catholics are. :P I'm talking about the Cross, not the Crucifix. The cross is empty (and rightfully so, read Camelot 3000 ;-) ).

Nightfly

Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 am

cncoyle wrote:As most Catholics are wont to do, you're assuming that protestants should be thinking as you Catholics are. :P I'm talking about the Cross, not the Crucifix. The cross is empty (and rightfully so, read Camelot 3000 ;-) ).

I always found it ironic that, by historical acocunts, the only work carpenters could get back then was nailing crosses together.

I'm sure Jesus was only building birdhouses though ;)

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 am

Allen wrote:
Che represents only the wearer's stupidity in all cases.

Like this guy

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 am

cncoyle wrote:As most Catholics are wont to do, you're assuming that protestants should be thinking as you Catholics are. :P I'm talking about the Cross, not the Crucifix. The cross is empty (and rightfully so, read Camelot 3000 ;-) ).

:roll: It's irrelevant to the point.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 am

They're both moronic.

The Confederate flag, no matter what it stood for in the past (Southern pride, states rights, etc) really is a racist symbol in modern times. It's not like people wear swastikas these days to show they disagree with the Treaty of Versailles.

And the Che t-shirt just shows a general ignorance. You have to wonder how many people who wear those shirts really know anything about him at all.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 am

MoneyMelon wrote: It's not like people wear swastikas these days to show they disagree with the Treaty of Versailles.

:lol:

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 am

I always thought the fish was a better symbol for Christianity

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 am

On the other hand, we cheer for Pirates in movies and they were murderous scum too so maybe it's all good :D

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

Spiderrob wrote::lol:

*takes a bow*

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I always thought the fish was a better symbol for Christianity

It is always the guy with the Jesus fish on his car doing 25 MPH under the speed limit in the acceleration line. I hate that fish.

lancer_man

Expert Post Whore

Postby lancer_man » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 am

MoneyMelon wrote:*takes a bow*

I am going to start selling Atilla t-shirts for those of us of Europeon decent who want to give it to those damn Huns.

Woody

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 am

Nightfly wrote:I always found it ironic that, by historical acocunts, the only work carpenters could get back then was nailing crosses together.

I'm sure Jesus was only building birdhouses though ;)
um- wat?

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 am

milton73 wrote:It is always the guy with the Jesus fish on his car doing 25 MPH under the speed limit in the acceleration line. I hate that fish.

Wow really?

For me, it's always the guy going 90mph in a school zone who cuts you off and gives you the finger. :lol:

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 am

Spiderrob wrote::roll: It's irrelevant to the point.
No, you're talking about the act of the murder, which the crucifix shows, but the cross does not. It's irrelevant to your erroneously perceived point, true, but not to my point.

Congrats at stirring up the discussion pot, though. I know you love to succeed at being an autocontrarian.

leave a comment with facebook