Advertisement

Check it out -Heidi@The Beat quoted my Blog!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

tralfaz
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby tralfaz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 pm

xaraan wrote:

It's also kinda sad reading all those comments about 'rama. I really did like posting there and it really did feel like a community. (Heck, that's why I'm here, b/c this is essentially what Talk@ used to be.) And I like MattB and what he had going on there. But seeing it become what it is really sucks.

For one, I have to say, usually you can do one thing really really well or a lot of things pretty good. And it seems like they are shifting to doing a lot of things instead of the one and trying to tell us the one will still be as strong.

And another, (as I've said many times) I used to work for sears and was with them for the last seven years while they went through several major changes. A couple big ones before the kmart merger and then of course the kmart merger itself. And the whole time they said the same things 'rama is saying. This won't suffer, that won't change, this will be better; you guys just don't like it because you don't like change, etc. And seeing 'rama mirror that, really concerns me because all those things ended up not panning out for sears and they have only degraded since then. That is what I see for 'rama. They will probably level out as some sort of generic entertainment site and be lost among the ugo's and mania.coms and whatever else covers all the stuff 'rama is going to try to cover.

Maybe they will figure out that if they covered comics better and more thoroughly than anyone else, then people have a reason to come there. If they maintained the community that helped build them and back them up, then they would give people a reason to come there. As it stands now, if you want good comicbook news, go elsewhere; if you want regular entertainment news with some comics, then go to 'rama or any other site that does the same thing. Unfortunately it is sold and owned by some corporation that is snatching up sites and they won't care about it's reputation, just it's ad revenue draw. I guess that's fine, but that's not 'rama.

the rama loyalist would disagree with you.

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 pm

tralfaz wrote:the rama loyalist would disagree with you.

well, there is always someone out there to disagree with you, even when you are overwhelmingly correct, so oh well

and I used to think of myself as a 'rama loyalist. Hell, I went back there after being gone out of comics for the last year just because I liked 'rama and talk@.

tralfaz
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 pm

xaraan wrote:well, there is always someone out there to disagree with you, even when you are overwhelmingly correct, so oh well

and I used to think of myself as a 'rama loyalist. Hell, I went back there after being gone out of comics for the last year just because I liked 'rama and talk@.

I like rama, but the problem is that I don't like what it has become and how the people act now.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 pm

tralfaz wrote:I like rama, but the problem is that I don't like what it has become and how the people act now.

yea
:cry:

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 204 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Well, gents, (and don't get me wrong, I mourn the loss off the Real Rama as much as you do)... but in the wake of it's passing, the NuRama's loss is our gain, n'est ce pas?:D

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm

I would like to take this moment out to say to Tralfaz and GOSD, eff you. I was right.

tralfaz
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 pm

toolverine wrote:I would like to take this moment out to say to Tralfaz and GOSD, eff you. I was right.
right about what?

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:59 am

I would probably still be posting at the Rama, but for a few days after the switch, I was simply unable to log in, and never heard anything back from doublehelix or Matt Brady, so I just decided to come here. I figured I can still read the news there (though the navigation is really wonky at times, and there are other functionality issues here and there), and all this place as Talk@, since it's mostly the same people.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:05 am

tralfaz wrote:right about what?

That the subforums were elading the site down a path of crappiness.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 am

tralfaz wrote:I like rama, but the problem is that I don't like what it has become and how the people act now.
I noticed in the call for moderators thread how when asked why the whole affair wasn't handled in a more private manner and through MattB's suggestions, doublehelix replied that she PM'ed MattB twice, didn't receive a response, and made the thread anyway.

That tells me that Newsarama, and especially Talk@, is no longer MattB's baby. And that is so very sad, imo.
-

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 am

Yea, I don't think Matt is involved in forum control anymore. Sure he interacts a little and can probably do some of the same things as a mod, but you can tell he isn't there much anymore and things there are not going in the style they used to when he was in charge.

Sure, he might be some still in some sort of manager capacity for the front page story stuff (for now) but he is not truly in charge anymore.

tralfaz
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:52 am

toolverine wrote:That the subforums were elading the site down a path of crappiness.

nah, the subforums didn't change anything. we all adapted to it but the change, this change is a complete overhaul and doesn't resemble what we know as newsarama.

jza1218

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby jza1218 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 am

xaraan wrote:

Yea, I don't think Matt is involved in forum control anymore. Sure he interacts a little and can probably do some of the same things as a mod, but you can tell he isn't there much anymore and things there are not going in the style they used to when he was in charge.

Sure, he might be some still in some sort of manager capacity for the front page story stuff (for now) but he is not truly in charge anymore.

Probably by his own deciison though. You gotta figure that monitoring a forum probably ranks a distant third or fourth or whatever to the main page and other more important stuff.

I know that I'd be sick of having to deal with idiots like Deathlok, FEL, etc. on a daily basis

CountD
Undead Member

Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 am

toolverine wrote:That the subforums were elading the site down a path of crappiness.

this place has them.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:10 am

jza1218 wrote:I know that I'd be sick of having to deal with idiots like Deathlok, FEL, etc. on a daily basis
Oh yeah, I definitely see that side of it. I don't fault MattB & Doran for taking an opportunity for their own betterment. I'm sure they now get to focus on writing comic stories instead of spending half (2/3?) of their time moderating discusions and keeping spammers away from the boards. I just hope they're not getting undue pressure from Imaginova to widen their coverage to the comic news' detriment.
-

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum