Monday, August 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "72 slogans - collect 'em all!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Chloe Dykstra Calls Out Abusive Ex, Unrelatedly Nerdist Implode

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Chloe Dykstra Calls Out Abusive Ex, Unrelatedly Nerdist Implode

Dykstra penned a long essay accusing an ex-boyfriend of long-term abuse and career blacklisting.

Source: Medium

Chloe Dykstra took to Medium this week to release an emotional essay accusing an unnamed ex-boyfriend of long-term abuse and career blacklisting. In the essay, she says that in her early-20s she dated a man "almost 20 years my senior" who displayed controlling behavior. Some of the behavior she specifically describes includes:

• I "should not want to go somewhere at night". My nights were expected to be reserved for him, as he had a busy schedule. This alienated me from my friends.
  • I was to not have close male friends unless we worked together. All photos of male friends were to be removed from my apartment. This was heartbreaking for me, as my best friend happened to be male.
  • As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, "I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That's going to stop."
  • I was not to speak in public places (elevators, cars with drivers, restaurants where tables were too close) as he believed that people recognized him and were listening to our conversations. Our dinners out were usually silent, him on his phone.
  • I wasn't allowed to take a photo of us. (Eventually, he softened on this rule, but was very stern about me asking permission.)

Dykstra also claims that she was "quickly pressured to take an on-camera job at his company I didn't want." She also alleged that the unnamed ex-boyfriend frequently pressured her into having sex, explaining, "To be fair, I did go along with it out of fear of losing him."

She writes "after three years of being snapped/yelled at constantly, very rarely being shown any affection- I finally left him." Then she says the unnamed ex-boyfriend, "made calls to several companies I received regular work from to get me fired by threatening to never work with them. He succeeded. I was blacklisted."

Read her full essay here.

Seemingly unrelated to the release of her essay, Chris Hardwick, the founder of Nerdist, has been removed from the site's About page. Freelance writer Scott Weinberg announced his departure from the site as well.

Legendary, the company that owns Nerdist Industries released the following statement.

"Chris Hardwick had no operational involvement with Nerdist for the two years preceding the expiration of his contract in December 2017," Legendary Entertainment said in a statement. "He no longer has any affiliation with Legendary Digital Networks. The company has removed all reference to Mr. Hardwick even as the original Founder of Nerdist pending further investigation."

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm

But this implosion won't be as spectacular as Channel Awesome's.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

LiamA wrote:But this implosion won't be as spectacular as Channel Awesome's.

I dunno about that. Seems to me that the Channel Awesome thing is winding down in terms of volatility. Doug Walker, the Orbit Report, and Tamara Chambers are still churning out videos (with Nostalgia Critic vids getting tens of thousands of clicks mere hours after upload, and maintaining more than a million subscribers).

Earlier today, I noticed Chris Hardwick was trending, and it seems everyone's already condemned him, with little exception. And if Chloe Dykstra didn't name her ex, I kind of wonder how Hardwick got named. Possibly because of his removal from Nerdist as noted above, which could be a preemptive maneuver to avoid further association. Weinberg's departure could be an indicator, but...how did he find out?

I'm not looking to defend the guy, just wondering about the specifics of the matter. Probably won't be posting any "POINTS!" pics anytime soon...or that one pic I meant to post to my Tumblr but never did...

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:03 pm

SporkBot wrote:Earlier today, I noticed Chris Hardwick was trending, and it seems everyone's already condemned him, with little exception. And if Chloe Dykstra didn't name her ex, I kind of wonder how Hardwick got named. Possibly because of his removal from Nerdist as noted above, which could be a preemptive maneuver to avoid further association. Weinberg's departure could be an indicator, but...how did he find out?

Having read the article in question, I can tell you that while she may not have named him, it's pretty apparent who she is talking about. Especially for anybody familiar with him or his career.

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

SporkBot wrote:
I dunno about that. Seems to me that the Channel Awesome thing is winding down in terms of volatility. Doug Walker, the Orbit Report, and Tamara Chambers are still churning out videos (with Nostalgia Critic vids getting tens of thousands of clicks mere hours after upload, and maintaining more than a million subscribers).

Earlier today, I noticed Chris Hardwick was trending, and it seems everyone's already condemned him, with little exception. And if Chloe Dykstra didn't name her ex, I kind of wonder how Hardwick got named. Possibly because of his removal from Nerdist as noted above, which could be a preemptive maneuver to avoid further association. Weinberg's departure could be an indicator, but...how did he find out?

I'm not looking to defend the guy, just wondering about the specifics of the matter. Probably won't be posting any "POINTS!" pics anytime soon...or that one pic I meant to post to my Tumblr but never did...

She didn't name him in a decidedly "not gonna name names but it rhymes with smish smardwick" type way.

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Someone I never heard of vaguely accuses someone of something. :smt102

The Outhouse is now The Enquirer?!??!?!? WTF? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! String someone, somewhere, somehow UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CREDIBILITY IS SAYING SOOOOOMETIIIIIIIIIIING.

Too many people are too pathetic. If you have a reasonable accusation of a crime, take it to court. Otherwise you have NO reasonable credibility. (At least none that a real website that doesn't beg for clicks or rely on BS for clicks would rely on)

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

TheLurker wrote:Someone I never heard of vaguely accuses someone of something. :smt102

The Outhouse is now The Enquirer?!??!?!? WTF? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! String someone, somewhere, somehow UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CREDIBILITY IS SAYING SOOOOOMETIIIIIIIIIIING.

Too many people are too pathetic. If you have a reasonable accusation of a crime, take it to court. Otherwise you have NO reasonable credibility. (At least none that a real website that doesn't beg for clicks or rely on BS for clicks would rely on)

There is no way to like this post enough.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 pm

TheLurker wrote:Someone I never heard of vaguely accuses someone of something. :smt102

THANK YOU!

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm

While I can not condone abuse . . . .

Three years?!?!?!?!

AND if it is real, just fucking name the person. Please. I don't like real assholes (I am one, and I don't like myself. :) ). But . . . . really?

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 pm

I can't wait to see what kind of shit that will be dug up on Wil Wheaton.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 pm

She's probably avoiding outright naming the perpetrator because specifying could lead to slander/libel suit, which could drag on until her funds are gone (she also mentioned being blacklisted, so that'd affect her paychecks compared to someone frequently working...especially someone like Hardwick, who's had multiple shows running at the same time).

And as for sticking with him for so long? Well, there could've been a lot of reasons, like genuinely caring about him and trying to stick it out, seeing if the relationship could be salvaged. Some people don't fully grasp the amount of crap they take until they've taken a thorough shower.

I get being skeptical about this and wanting something more concrete, but let's not forget that women have been ignored or considered "liars" in these situations (and worse) for a long time. And studies have shown the vast majority of abuse/assault cases are far from fabrications.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:41 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:I can't wait to see what kind of shit that will be dug up on Wil Wheaton.

Too late, he runs a table top gaming group, it's all over for him in his acting career.

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:04 am

The Outhouse is now The Enquirer?!??!?!?

Well, actually yeah. This site is about pop-culture gossip, although it's always been pretty lazy about it.

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am

Looks like this week's Talking Dead will be even more awkward than normal.

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 am

UPDATE:

AMC has announced that they've found a new host for their popular zombie after show, Talking Dead...

leave a comment with facebook