Friday, August 17, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Something about hobo piss."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Cloak & Dagger: the TV Series

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Started about 50 minutes ago. I never read the comic. LOTS of teen angst.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm

TheLurker wrote:Started about 50 minutes ago. I never read the comic. LOTS of teen angst.

I really enjoyed the original mini-series. Be nice if this was even close to that story.

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm

FreeForm network so lots of emomusic too.

so far, better than the last 6 months of Supergirl. Not a good comparison though.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I actually quite liked the first episode.

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:45 am

Its ok, maybe as it progresses ill get more into it

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am

20 minutes into the 2 hour premiere and it's dragging a bit.

Hope it picks up.

And... then she robs him.

That IS "picking up".

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:05 pm

anyone know the differences and similarities with the comic?

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 pm

TheLurker wrote:anyone know the differences and similarities with the comic?

This is from their Wikipedia article that does a good job a summing their origin up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_and_Dagger_(comics)

Tyrone "Ty" Johnson (Cloak) and Tandy Bowen (Dagger) met in New York City as runaways. Tyrone was a 17-year-old boy from Boston, Massachusetts with a debilitating stutter and ran away to New York City when his speech impediment prevented him from stopping his friend from being shot by the police, who mistakenly believed he had just robbed a store. Tandy was a 16-year-old girl from a privileged upbringing (born in Shaker Heights, Ohio) who ran away because her multi-millionaire supermodel mother was too busy with her career and social life to spend time with her daughter. When they met, Tyrone considered stealing Tandy's purse, but before he could, a thief stole the purse and Tyrone retrieved it for her. Afterwards, they had dinner and became fast friends. When naïve Tandy accepted an offer of shelter from some strange men, wary Tyrone went along to protect her. The two teens were soon forcibly delivered to criminal chemist Simon Marshall developing a new synthetic heroin for Silvermane and the Maggia, testing it on runaway teens with fatal results. Johnson and Bowen somehow survived injections of the drug, and they fled. During their escape, the drug turned them into superpowered beings

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 pm

TheLurker wrote:anyone know the differences and similarities with the comic?

Tandy didn't rob Ty, steal from some other dude (who eventually decided to try and rape her when he caught her trying to use the tickets he stole), stab the dude, rob a wedding reception in 3 different places and ignore the friend who reluctantly helped her when he got snatched by the cops.

AFAIK, Ty never tried to shoot a dude, either.

So... yeah, there's some differences.

rustyrusty

Garbage Collector

Postby rustyrusty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Stephen Day wrote:The two teens were soon forcibly delivered to criminal chemist Simon Marshall developing a new synthetic heroin for Silvermane and the Maggia, testing it on runaway teens with fatal results. Johnson and Bowen somehow survived injections of the drug, and they fled. During their escape, the drug turned them into superpowered beings

Hahaha.. as an origin story, that's even more tenuous than I remember it.

I quite liked Cloak and Dagger but they were rarely given any interesting stories as far as I remember.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:39 pm

The first show is pretty awful so far. Did they just turn Tandy into an opioid addict? :|

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:58 pm

I might continue to watch. IF I remember. IF the story continues in a good way. Might be OK for summer viewing.

I don't really have anything against it since I don't have any connection to the comic. :smt102

My only comment is that after 2 hours they barely know each other. Isn't this supposed to be about a PAIR of heroes? After 2 hours they are just realizing they have powers and don't know how to control them. This is a comicbooky complaint since if they went too fast we could complain too. But, c'mon!

Bianco

rubber spoon

Postby Bianco » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:13 pm

TheLurker wrote:I might continue to watch. IF I remember. IF the story continues in a good way. Might be OK for summer viewing.

I don't really have anything against it since I don't have any connection to the comic. :smt102

My only comment is that after 2 hours they barely know each other. Isn't this supposed to be about a PAIR of heroes? After 2 hours they are just realizing they have powers and don't know how to control them. This is a comicbooky complaint since if they went too fast we could complain too. But, c'mon!

I think the show's going more towards the Netflix route which sucks because those shows are slow.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:44 pm

rustyrusty wrote:
Hahaha.. as an origin story, that's even more tenuous than I remember it.

I quite liked Cloak and Dagger but they were rarely given any interesting stories as far as I remember.

I have always considered C&D as a terrific concept, and great guest-stars purely for powerset/look/character dynamics purposes, but their history is criminally deficient on good stories where they are the sole feature.

They’re just characters that are better as guest-stars or team members than headliners IMMO

GiveWarAChance

Silly French Man

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 pm

In the comics Cloak and Dagger waged war on drug dealers and in the show Tandy is a drug addict and criminal. I'm watching because of my love of the characters, but this show needs to get much better.

leave a comment with facebook