Wednesday, September 19, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "We Wipe Last. Not Before."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Comics should advertise on tv

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Ever heard yourself saying this?

"Secret Invasion" television ads will run tonight during the minor league baseball championships on ESPN2, beginning at 8:00PM EST

It's the comic book event that has everyone from Entertainment Weekly to The Wall Street Journal buzzing and now the years top-selling comic, "Secret Invasion", makes its television debut on ESPN2 tonight! During tonight's telecast of the Bricktown Showdown, the minor league baseball championship, beginning at 8pm EST, an ad for the Skrulls' "Embrace Change" cause will run multiple times. As part of this partnership with MiLB, fans attending the game will also receive Thunder Stix promoting the upcoming Iron Man DVD & Blu-Ray discs (on-sale 9/30); Skrull Masks promoting Secret Invasion; and copies of Marvel Adventures: Iron Man #11and Marvel: Your Universe Saga.

This promotion follows Marvel's successful partnership with Triple-A Baseball earlier this year, which resulted in a special "Free Comic Book Day" for fans at select baseball games. Fans in attendance received a copy of the limited edition Triple- A Baseball Heroes, featuring Marvel's most popular heroes and Tiple-A Baseball's most popular mascots!

So, tonight, no True Believer can afford to miss Minor League Baseball's Bricktown Showdown, as Marvel's brand new television commercial makes its television debut on ESPN2!

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:27 pm

GI Joe comics used to advertise on TV back in the day. Those commercials were awesome.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Woo Hoo!

Go Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees!!!

tralfaz

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:30 pm

meh. big budget comic book movies dont translate to sales what makes you think tv ads would

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:32 pm

tralfaz wrote:meh. big budget comic book movies dont translate to sales what makes you think tv ads would

Watchmen begs to differ.

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Twigglet wrote:Watchmen begs to differ.

Watchmen is also a collected graphic novel with a definitive start and finish that is widely available at any major book store .

Magazines aren't even really advertised on TV anymore. I can't even remember the last time I saw an advert for Sports Illustrated.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm

TheScantronman wrote:
Magazines aren't even really advertised on TV anymore. I can't even remember the last time I saw an advert for Sports Illustrated.

Which is a shame.

I want the football phone :cry:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Watchmen is also a collected graphic novel with a definitive start and finish that is widely available at any major book store .

I wish all books were like that :(

tralfaz

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Twigglet wrote:Watchmen begs to differ.

there are always exceptions to the rule.

needless to say i have never seen sales go up and stay up on any particular book because of a movie based on the character. maybe a small spike but nothing substantial or lasting.

Watchmen is a a whole other thing if you ask me. it's a complete story so it's more of a book now than a regular comic book. People come into the stores wanting the graphic novel but they don't go through what other books are availble at the store.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:38 pm

tralfaz wrote:there are always exceptions to the rule.

needless to say i have never seen sales go up and stay up on any particular book because of a movie based on the character. maybe a small spike but nothing substantial or lasting.

Watchmen is a a whole other thing if you ask me. it's a complete story so it's more of a book now than a regular comic book. People come into the stores wanting the graphic novel but they don't go through what other books are availble at the store.

I imagine if there was a rise, it'd be a couple of hundred picking up the book and then branching out. It definitly wouldn't show in direct market sales.

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 pm

tralfaz wrote:there are always exceptions to the rule.

Yeah I imagine the GN sales will continue to stay solid and probably spike as the movie nears release and after it hits theaters. Will the upcoming reprints in December do as well? Probably in the direct market but not as good as the GN I'd wager.

tralfaz

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:41 pm

Twigglet wrote:I imagine if there was a rise, it'd be a couple of hundred picking up the book and then branching out. It definitly wouldn't show in direct market sales.
yeah, a couple hundred for the entire US maybe. From my experience it has been customer has seen movie. customer comes to store to pick up that book which the movie is based on. customer picks up other books that may interest him. customer never comes back. maybe 1 in 30 customers may come back but in the end it's the regulars that come back every week.
movies do not translate to new regualr customers

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:41 pm

That's kind of a shitty time to advertise.

I mean, first of all, it's the Minor League Championship. Only baseball nerds like me are going to watch that.

And is ESPN really the demographic to hit?

They should advertise on the Sci-Fi Channel or something like that.

tralfaz

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Yeah I imagine the GN sales will continue to stay solid and probably spike as the movie nears release and after it hits theaters. Will the upcoming reprints in December do as well? Probably in the direct market but not as good as the GN I'd wager.

they will sell until the movie comes out and then months later will drop down and maybe pick up again when the DVD comes out (probably with a coupon to get the book)

tralfaz

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby tralfaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm

if they were to advertise they should advertise on adultswim, during the spidey and brave and the bold toons, and like melon said the sci fi channel and G4

leave a comment with facebook