Advertisement

Comixology hacked?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

OldCurmudgeon
luchadore

Liked in: 0 post

Comixology hacked?

Postby OldCurmudgeon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 am

I just received this in an e-mail from Comixology@e.comixology.com:

Dear Comics Retailer,

In the course of a recent review and upgrade of our security infrastructure, we determined that an unauthorized individual accessed a database of ours that contained usernames, email addresses, and cryptographically protected passwords.

Even though we store our passwords in protected form, as a precautionary measure we are requiring all users to change their passwords on the comiXology platform and recommend that you promptly change your password on any other website where you use the same or a similar password. You can reset your comiXology.com password here.

We have taken additional steps to strengthen our security procedures and systems, and we will continue to implement improvements on an ongoing basis.

Please note that we will never ask you for personal or account information in an e-mail, so exercise caution if you receive emails that ask for personal information or direct you to a site where you are asked to provide personal information.

We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact us by sending an email to support@comixology.com

Sincerely,

ComiXology

Thought I'd give people a heads-up to this. Might be a fishing scam, so I'd not follow the link and go to comixology itself to change passwords.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Re: Comixology hacked?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 am

I got the same email.

I agree that going to Comixology itself to change your password is probably the best idea.

EDIT: The front page at Comixology mentions the security breach, so the email is likely legit.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 308 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:24 am

Yeah, it's legit. I just got the same email (for Comics Reader). And the hack is being reported on other sites as well. I think Comixology already disabled all prior passwords. I tried logging in there and my password didn't work.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Is annoying cause you go to the site, it tells you you have to change it and you can't log in to do it. I emailed a buddy at customer service they, will let you know what he says.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 pm

thefourthman wrote:Is annoying cause you go to the site, it tells you you have to change it and you can't log in to do it. I emailed a buddy at customer service they, will let you know what he says.

There is a big red highlighted link at the top of the website that takes you to the page to change your password.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 am

Yeah, but when I go to log in, it won't let me.so fail on the big red link, at least for me.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum