Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Complete Metropolis Found In Argentina!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:13 pm

(AP)

Lost scenes from the sci-fi classic "Metropolis," recently discovered in the archives of a Buenos Aires museum, were shown to journalists for the first time in decades on Thursday.

A long-lost original cut of the 1927 silent film sat for 80 years in a private collection and then in the Museum of Cinema in Buenos Aires, where it was discovered in April with scratched images that hadn't been seen before.

Museum director Paula Felix-Didier said theirs is the only copy of German director Fritz Lang's complete film.

"This is the version Fritz Lang intended," said Martin Koerber, a curator at the Deutsche Kinemathek film museum in Berlin, Germany.

"Metropolis," written by Lang and his actress wife Thea von Harbou, depicts a 21st century world divided between a class of underworld workers and the "thinkers" above who control them.

Soon after its initial release at the height of Germany's Weimar Republic, distributors cut Lang's three-and-a-half-hour masterpiece into the shorter version since viewed by millions worldwide.

But a private collector carried an original version to Argentina in 1928, where it has stayed, Felix-Didier said.

In the 1980s, Argentine film fanatic Fernando Pena heard about a man who had propped up a broken projector for "hours" to screen "Metropolis" in the 1960s. But the version of the film he knew was only one-and-a-half hours long. For years, he begged Buenos Aires' museum to check their archives for the man's longer version.

This year, museum researchers finally agreed and in April uncovered the reels in the museum's archive.

In June, Felix-Didier flew with a DVD to the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation in Wiesbaden, Germany, which owns the rights to "Metropolis." Researchers there confirmed that the scenes were original.

News of the find excited film enthusiasts worldwide.

"They didn't believe me because they have had lots of e-mails from people saying they had found 'Metropolis.' Why would people in Buenos Aires have found it?"
Paula Felix-Didier, Director, Buenos Aires' Museum of Cinema

"This is a movie that millions and millions of people have seen since its release and yet, in many ways, we've never seen the true film," said Mike Mashon, head of the Moving Image section of the U.S. Library of Congress in Washington.

"Metropolis" was reissued in the U.S. in 2002 by Kino International Corp., which owns the rights to distribute the film domestically, Kino's general manager Gary Palmucci said.

Kino may rerelease the new, complete version of the film.

Meanwhile, Buenos Aires' Museum of Cinema is holding its treasure tight.

"The film hasn't left the museum and it won't leave until the city government and the Murnau Foundation decide what to do," Felix-Didier said.

Fantastic news!
I can't wait to see this!

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Always wanted to see that but it's one of those things I never got around to.

I hope they release the complete version on DVD

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:19 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Always wanted to see that but it's one of those things I never got around to.

I'm counting on a theatrical release.
At least on the art house circuit.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm

According to Ainitcool.com, there was a company who had just announced they were releasing Metropolis on DVD, and said company has now announced that it will be also including this newly discovered footage.

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Lord Simian wrote:According to Ainitcool.com, there was a company who had just announced they were releasing Metropolis on DVD, and said company has now announced that it will be also including this newly discovered footage.
I figured it'd take a couple of years to restore the newly found stuff, but I guess these days of digital intermediates they can do it fairly quickly.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:53 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Always wanted to see that but it's one of those things I never got around to.

I saw it in school once. I think I fell asleep during it. More due to my sleeping habits than to a comment on the movie.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 pm

I guess this thread gives me a good excuse to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Dq99YMheU

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Cool. One of my all time favorite movies gets better. :-D

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 pm

daitong wrote:Cool. One of my all time favorite movies gets better. :-D

You hope. For all you know, the restored footage features Jabba the Hutt and Jar Jar Binks. :)

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Lord Simian wrote:You hope. For all you know, the restored footage features Jabba the Hutt and Jar Jar Binks. :)

In pancake makeup.

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Lord Simian wrote:You hope. For all you know, the restored footage features Jabba the Hutt and Jar Jar Binks. :)

And in this version, Maria shoots first.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Strict31 wrote:And in this version, Maria shoots first.

My Maria?

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Lord Simian wrote:My Maria?

Yes. Except the robot version.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Strict31 wrote:Yes. Except the robot version.

I'm sold. Gimme three.

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I'm sold. Gimme three.

Sweet. Buy two, get the third free in a special imited time offer. And now they come with a new and improved Herpes Shield, which is effective against even the most stubborn forms of The Herpes. Kinda like the sneeze-guard at the salad bar, but for The Herpes.

leave a comment with facebook