Advertisement

Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Postby outsider » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:25 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Lycanthropy is more interesting to me in general... though the moon thing never interested me.
I love the moon bit--to me, that's one of the more interesting aspects.

I liked how Ben 10 combined werewolves with Native American mysticism in the whole "Benwolf" story.
sdsichero wrote:I thought you'd like gargoyles. :D
Ha, I guess I do.

My favorite mythological creature is the gryphon. I have a cast concrete statue of one I bought at a significant discount in Chattanooga--apparently the mold had cracked, making it look like it has a scar across its chest. 8) I think it looks cool. It also has a re-attached wing after 20% of a 100+ year-old tree fell on it (but missed my house by inches).
-

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:29 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Image

Giant Isopod
This giant isopod is the kind of creature that horror movies are made of -- at least when it comes to his size (2.5 feet), segmented shell (which allows him to bend roll into a ball without losing any protection), and compound eyes (comprising 4,000 facets that let it track fast movements with ease).
Isopods are deep-sea dwellers that scavenge dead saline for food. But it's not as dangerous as you might think: According to Popular Science, isopods are harmless -- and since most of them live below 1,200 feet, you're not likely to run into one while swimming.

In Taiwan, however, you're apt to find them on the menu.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Not quite as big, but we have [ul=http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/14/ln/ln01a.html]15" mantis shrimp in the (disgusting) Ala Wai Canal[/url] here...

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1175 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:32 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Ah interesting thanks.

Thing about magic, they create almost a race/brred of monsters and have different variations of them like a shark has multiple variations.

Baloths, Kavu, Eldrazi (which are kinda like Cthulhu type race), etc. I will find more for you..

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:32 pm

garcoyle wrote:I love the moon bit--to me, that's one of the more interesting aspects.

I liked how Ben 10 combined werewolves with Native American mysticism in the whole "Benwolf" story.
Ha, I guess I do.

My favorite mythological creature is the gryphon. I have a cast concrete statue of one I bought at a significant discount in Chattanooga--apparently the mold had cracked, making it look like it has a scar across its chest. 8) I think it looks cool. It also has a re-attached wing after 20% of a 100+ year-old tree fell on it (but missed my house by inches).

Gryphons/Griffins are cool.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Ogopogo

Ogopogo or Naitaka (Salish: n'ha-a-itk, "lake demon") is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported to live in Okanagan Lake, in British Columbia, Canada. Ogopogo has been allegedly seen by Native Americans since the 19th century. The most common description of Ogopogo is a forty- to fifty-foot-long (12 to 15 m) sea serpent. It has supposedly been photographed and even been caught on tape.

Reconstruction of the Jim Reiger sighting

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:41 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Ogopogo

Ogopogo or Naitaka (Salish: n'ha-a-itk, "lake demon") is the name given to a cryptid lake monster reported to live in Okanagan Lake, in British Columbia, Canada. Ogopogo has been allegedly seen by Native Americans since the 19th century. The most common description of Ogopogo is a forty- to fifty-foot-long (12 to 15 m) sea serpent. It has supposedly been photographed and even been caught on tape.

Reconstruction of the Jim Reiger sighting

I suck at geography and don't know where you live anyways... are you very far from there?

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:43 pm

No, I am from Toronto (two hours away from Buffulo, NY). Vancouver is like 2 hours north of Seatle.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Kavu:

Native to Dominaria. Kavu are enormous carnivorous lizards, apparently created by Gaea to defend the Yavimaya Forest during the Phyrexian Invasion. A Kavu is usually depicted as a large creature whose sizes can vary from that of a large hound to the size of an elephant. Their most distinctive features are their long, low heads, square jaws and third pair of legs. They have thick, hoofed fingers that allow them to be equally nimble on land or in trees.

Initially native to Yavimaya, they spread beyond the forest in the branches of Magnigoth Treefolk sent to retrieve the rogue dragon Rith. Later, a large part of the forest itself was transported to the island of Urborg, giving the Kavu a strong presence there. Since their initial appearance during the Invasion, the Kavu have become an enduring part of the natural food chain and continued to survive and prosper in Rift-Era Dominaria.

Kavu Predator

Kavu Titan

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:27 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
Nicol Bolas is going to be getting new artwork because of the new Vs. deck coming out.

I didn't know you played magic!!!!

I played from 4th till Stronghold. Then it got to expensive for me, but i still play the MTG video games i can find.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Cool. Do they have good backstories too (eg. ecologies, etc)? I love the art on some of those as well as other card games, but never saw a "manual" of them (which of course I am a sucker for).

Most of them have key roles in the MTG mythos (Nicol Bolas for instance is a main anthagonist), others are more like suport characters, but most have some degree of backstory. There's even one comic about it and, while not a masterpiece, its worth for the art alone (http://www.amazon.com/Path-Planeswalker ... 670&sr=1-3)

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Giant wetas are species of weta in the genus Deinacrida of the family Anostostomatidae. Giant wetas are endemic to New Zealand, and are examples of island gigantism.

There are 11 species of giant weta, most of which are larger than other weta, despite the latter already being large by insect standards. Large species can be up to 10 cm (4 in) not inclusive of legs and antennae with body mass usually no more than 35g. One captive female reached a mass of about 70 g (2.5 oz), making it one of the heaviest documented insects in the world and heavier than a sparrow. This is, however, unnatural as this individual was unmated and retained an abnormal number of eggs. The largest species of giant weta is the Little Barrier Island giant weta, also known as the wetapunga. Giant weta tend to be less social and more passive than other weta. Their genus name, Deinacrida, is Greek for terrible grasshopper. They are found primarily on New Zealand offshore islands, having been almost exterminated on the mainland islands by introduced mammalian pests.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:59 pm

UGGGHHH!!! Why did I enter this thread?!?!?!?!?!?!?
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:03 pm

Jaekelopterus rhenaniae

Jaekelopterus rhenaniae ("Otto Jaekel's wing from the Rhineland") is an extinct species of the Eurypterida (sea scorpions). At an estimated length of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet), it is one of the two largest arthropods ever discovered (the other is a giant millipede-like animal, Arthropleura, although which animal was larger is unclear). The second largest eurypterid known is Pterygotus. Jaekelopterus lived approximately 390 million years ago. Although called a "sea scorpion", it is speculated to have lived in fresh water rivers and lakes, rather than in saltwater seas. The animal was described by Simon Braddy and Markus Poschmann of the University of Bristol in the journal Biology Letters (November 2007); they found a 46 cm chelicera (claw-like mouth part), and estimated the total size of the animal based on the proportions of this claw.[1] When extended, the chelicerae would have added another meter to its length.[2]

The animal's fossilized remains were discovered in the Early Devonian (Emsian) Klerf Formation Lagerstätte of Willwerath near Prüm, Germany

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:17 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:No, I am from Toronto (two hours away from Buffulo, NY). Vancouver is like 2 hours north of Seatle.

You are safe then! Image

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 pm

Greg wrote:UGGGHHH!!! Why did I enter this thread?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Looking for new kinky sex themes?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum