Thursday, June 21, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "*the sound you hear when PAC-MAN dies*"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Creatures & Monsters, Real & Imagined

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 3:45 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 3:57 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 am

It's just happy to see you

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 4:03 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 4:05 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 pm

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 pm

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 pm

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 am

I was coming back from walking Molly and Sam...their nightly walk, when I happened to strike up a conversation with a neighbor. She mentioned there was an owl in my tree. I knew there were owls in the neighborhood, since I've seen them flying around before, (rarely, since of course they only come out at night). But I didn't know they were in my own tree, one that I planted when I was a little kid, (it's a fast growing type and now quite large, I really shouldn't have put it where I did, but then I was a little kid and didn't know any better). This particular tree has hosted a colony of squirels before, but at their peril, as it's also hosted red tailed hawks, large raptors almost as big as an eagle. I've seen one take a crow from that tree and fly away, and another take a mourning dove, then stand on it in the middle of my backyard, and carefully pluck the feathers for almost an hour, winding up with a neat little circle of sad feathers that I had seen before and wondered about. Well, now I know where they come from. Anyhow, it's a dangerous tree is what I'm saying, at least for small animals. And that was made apparent last night as I played my flashlight up at it to try to see the owl. I didn't have to try too hard, as the owl came flying out at me, soundlessly. It was huge, pure white, and beautiful. I'm also informed it's the owl from Harry Potter, but then I wouldn't know.

This guy:

The picture doesn't really do it justice. As I said, it was huge, big enough that I was seriously concerned for my dogs, though it wouldn't be able to really carry either of them away, and likely would stay away from them. And it was dramatic, flying in my flashlight beam toward me in the darkness, then away backlit by the distant city lights. Further, I should explain that Orange County, where I live, (yeah, that Orange County, though WE never called it THE OC before that show), is like all of southern California, basically a scrud desert, only made liveable by the importation of water from the Colorado River and elsewhere, (the subject of the movie Chinatown). It's also one of the most densely populated areas on Earth, basically concreted and asphalted in till there's almost no nature in many spots. However, there ARE pockets of old California left all around me, roughly in mid OC, fairly near to Disneyland. From about here to south OC and San Diego county, there's more of the old state still alive, which you've seen if you've ever watched a western. And by old state, I do mean old, Europeans have been here since the mid 1500s.

So, yeah, I do get surprised and excited when I see things like this, especially in my own home. I've noticed things like raccoons washing food in a storm drain, rabbits and ducks on my lawn, squirrels in my tree, hawks, owls, I've got two house lizards who live behind my lawnmower in my garage, and of course less welcome things like coyotes and the occasional rabid bat, (I have to assume there are also vampires in the area, because of course there are).

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 13, 2018 12:50 pm

achilles wrote:I was coming back from walking Molly and Sam...their nightly walk, when I happened to strike up a conversation with a neighbor. She mentioned there was an owl in my tree. I knew there were owls in the neighborhood, since I've seen them flying around before, (rarely, since of course they only come out at night). But I didn't know they were in my own tree, one that I planted when I was a little kid, (it's a fast growing type and now quite large, I really shouldn't have put it where I did, but then I was a little kid and didn't know any better). This particular tree has hosted a colony of squirels before, but at their peril, as it's also hosted red tailed hawks, large raptors almost as big as an eagle. I've seen one take a crow from that tree and fly away, and another take a mourning dove, then stand on it in the middle of my backyard, and carefully pluck the feathers for almost an hour, winding up with a neat little circle of sad feathers that I had seen before and wondered about. Well, now I know where they come from. Anyhow, it's a dangerous tree is what I'm saying, at least for small animals. And that was made apparent last night as I played my flashlight up at it to try to see the owl. I didn't have to try too hard, as the owl came flying out at me, soundlessly. It was huge, pure white, and beautiful. I'm also informed it's the owl from Harry Potter, but then I wouldn't know.

This guy:

The picture doesn't really do it justice. As I said, it was huge, big enough that I was seriously concerned for my dogs, though it wouldn't be able to really carry either of them away, and likely would stay away from them. And it was dramatic, flying in my flashlight beam toward me in the darkness, then away backlit by the distant city lights. Further, I should explain that Orange County, where I live, (yeah, that Orange County, though WE never called it THE OC before that show), is like all of southern California, basically a scrud desert, only made liveable by the importation of water from the Colorado River and elsewhere, (the subject of the movie Chinatown). It's also one of the most densely populated areas on Earth, basically concreted and asphalted in till there's almost no nature in many spots. However, there ARE pockets of old California left all around me, roughly in mid OC, fairly near to Disneyland. From about here to south OC and San Diego county, there's more of the old state still alive, which you've seen if you've ever watched a western. And by old state, I do mean old, Europeans have been here since the mid 1500s.

So, yeah, I do get surprised and excited when I see things like this, especially in my own home. I've noticed things like raccoons washing food in a storm drain, rabbits and ducks on my lawn, squirrels in my tree, hawks, owls, I've got two house lizards who live behind my lawnmower in my garage, and of course less welcome things like coyotes and the occasional rabid bat, (I have to assume there are also vampires in the area, because of course there are).

That's pretty cool. And a neat pic.

We have the Hawaiian owl here (pueo), but I've only seen it once or twice in a fleeting way (big blur flying above my car) I think.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Offscreen dog: Dude, you're wearing that cap wrong
Onscreen dog: Deal with it.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 pm

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 13, 2018 12:57 pm

leave a comment with facebook