Advertisement

DAVAI MASHA! Or, Wimbledon 2008.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

diana_fan

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Carrie wrote:Of course not, They aren't Russian or at least from a former Eastern Bloc country. If you're a tennis chick whose country never erected a statue of Lenin, d_f doesn't have time for you. :wink:

Which explains why my favorite player of all time is Chris Evert how, exactly? ;)

Advertisement

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm

diana_fan wrote:Which explains why my favorite player of all time is Chris Evert how, exactly? ;)

I said "has", not "has never had." Stop living in the past. :wink:

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Oh, and FYI, Safin was winning the first set, let Seppi tie it, was leading the tie breaker and now Seppi has tied that too.

Update: Safin won it 7-5 in the tie breaker.

Shady
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shady » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:31 pm

I personally would like to see Elena Dementieva and Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final...not as flashy as the Williams sisters meeting mind you.

EDIT: maybe Jankovic instead of Elena...I forgot she was still in it.
Last edited by Shady on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Carrie wrote:I said "has", not "has never had." Stop living in the past. :wink:

Fine. But it just so happens that most of the good, interesting players right now are commies. It's not my fault.

Anyhow, there'll never be another like Chrissie. She had it all: The game, the personality, the demeanor, the charisma.

And for one insane period in the 70s, she won 125 straight matches on clay. 125! In that stretch, she lost 7 sets. So, over that period, she was 250-7 in sets on clay. That's .973 for the record.

That is total, utter domination.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Shady wrote:I personally would like to see Elena Dementieva and Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final...not as flashy as the Williams sisters meeting mind you.

Oh, I'd LOVE for Lena to make it to the Final. I just know she won't. :(

Lena-D's a really attractive player. She's got some of the best groundies in the game, a great sense of humor, and she plays, in the Top-10 mind you, with the worst serve in the history of professional tennis.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm

diana_fan wrote:Fine. But it just so happens that most of the good, interesting players right now are commies. It's not my fault.

Anyhow, there'll never be another like Chrissie. She had it all: The game, the personality, the demeanor, the charisma.

And for one insane period in the 70s, she won 125 straight matches on clay. 125! In that stretch, she lost 7 sets. So, over that period, she was 250-7 in sets on clay. That's .973 for the record.

That is total, utter domination.

Did she have giant titties like Serena though?

Shady
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shady » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:43 pm

diana_fan wrote:Oh, I'd LOVE for Lena to make it to the Final. I just know she won't. :(

Lena-D's a really attractive player. She's got some of the best groundies in the game, a great sense of humor, and she plays, in the Top-10 mind you, with the worst serve in the history of professional tennis.

with Venus and Jelena Jankovic still alive in her bracket, i don't think she has much of a chance. She's good but not at that level....and she definitely is VERY attractive :wink:

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:45 pm

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Carrie wrote:Image

I've had better.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Aaron_W wrote:I've had better.

That was really more for d_f. Apparently he hasn't. :twisted:

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Carrie wrote:That was really more for d_f. Apparently he hasn't. :twisted:

Well he's probably not a red hot stud like me.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Aaron_W wrote:Well he's probably not a red hot stud like me.

Good point.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Aaron_W wrote:Did she have giant titties like Serena though?

No, she doesn't.

But for my money, she's the greatest player of all time, just sneaking by both Martina and Steffi.

She had about a 90% win rate during her career, which no will ever match. She won 18 slams, over 150 titles, and over 1300 matches. She won the career Grand Slam, multiple times over. She won 7 French Opens.

And as I said, she had the personality, the demeanor, the looks, the icy court presence -- she just had it all.

Oh, and she invented the two-handed backhand. She was the first player to use it in the Open Era, as far as I know. That's like being the first pitcher to throw a curveball.

Long live the Ice Maiden.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Shady wrote:with Venus and Jelena Jankovic still alive in her bracket, i don't think she has much of a chance. She's good but not at that level....and she definitely is VERY attractive :wink:

She's yet another tall, slim, beautiful Russian tennis babe. There's no doubt about it.

Her game, apart from her serve, is as good as it gets, from my perspective. She doesn't show a lot versatility, pretty much happy to pound away from the baseline. But that's the norm, now, anyways (in other words, Chrissie won :) ). But she is absolutely lethal from both wings, has excellent movement and instincts, and a really fierce drive.

Her serve ... yikes. Her first serve can actually be pretty good. When she manages to get it in. But that second serve, and the amount of doubles she can rack up once she starts to lose it -- complete disaster.

I was confident, a couple years ago, that Lena would manage to squeak out a Slam title before her career ended. Now, not so much. Which I think is a really unfortunate thing, because she won't be remembered as she should be.

And she's got a great personality, wears her heart on her sleeve on the court, and has a lot of charisma. She's really easy to root for.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum