Advertisement

DAVAI MASHA! Or, Wimbledon 2008.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 pm

diana_fan wrote:She's yet another tall, slim, beautiful Russian tennis babe. There's no doubt about it.

Her game, apart from her serve, is as good as it gets, from my perspective. She doesn't show a lot versatility, pretty much happy to pound away from the baseline. But that's the norm, now, anyways (in other words, Chrissie won :) ). But she is absolutely lethal from both wings, has excellent movement and instincts, and a really fierce drive.

Her serve ... yikes. Her first serve can actually be pretty good. When she manages to get it in. But that second serve, and the amount of doubles she can rack up once she starts to lose it -- complete disaster.

I was confident, a couple years ago, that Lena would manage to squeak out a Slam title before her career ended. Now, not so much. Which I think is a really unfortunate thing, because she won't be remembered as she should be.

And she's got a great personality, wears her heart on her sleeve on the court, and has a lot of charisma. She's really easy to root for.

you really give male sports fans a bad name. you probably cheered for Billy John to beat Bobby Riggs, didn't you?
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:16 pm

diana_fan wrote:No, she doesn't.

But for my money, she's the greatest player of all time, just sneaking by both Martina and Steffi.

She had about a 90% win rate during her career, which no will ever match. She won 18 slams, over 150 titles, and over 1300 matches. She won the career Grand Slam, multiple times over. She won 7 French Opens.

And as I said, she had the personality, the demeanor, the looks, the icy court presence -- she just had it all.

Oh, and she invented the two-handed backhand. She was the first player to use it in the Open Era, as far as I know. That's like being the first pitcher to throw a curveball.

Long live the Ice Maiden.

She wouldn't be such hot shit today though. Stronger field and bigger titties.

Martina won more events, as many slams, and had a 43-37 edge in head to head play as well. Graff won 22 slams. She is 3rd.
Last edited by AaronW on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diana_fan

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 pm

chap22 wrote:you really give male sports fans a bad name. you probably cheered for Billy John to beat Bobby Riggs, didn't you?

Bobby was a funny guy. Heh.

The women's side of tennis has always been more interesting. You had one of the greatest rivalries in the history of sport, with Chris and Martina. You had one of hte most amazing players ever to watch with Steffi Graf (and Monica, before she was stabbed). Hingis' wizardry on the court.

The the (post-) Communist Wave, with the Russians, the Serbs, the Czechs.

And the women's side is FAR more wide open. Anything can, and often does, happen in the course of a major tournament. On the men's side, mostly everything goes along with the script, at least until the very end.

That's not to say I don't watch the men, because I do. And I have my favorites there, too. Federer, Safin, Hewitt. But I rarely get as caught up in it, unless it's like Federer v Safin in the SF of the Aussie Open a couple years ago, or that Hewitt - Baghdatis match, also at the AO, that went til 4:37am local time. Stuff like that.

Also, I think the men's game was more interesting back when there were more styles of play on display, mainly the Borg, Connors, McEnroe period.

Plus, a lot of the women are 6' tall babes, running around in short skirts. What's not to love?

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Women are not supposed to be taller than men.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Aaron_W wrote:She wouldn't be such hot shit today though. Stronger field and bigger titties.

Martina won more events, as many slams, and had a 37-43 edge in head to head play as well. Graff won 22 slams. She is 3rd.

That's looking ONLY at the numbers, though. There's more there, behind those numbers.

For example, Chrissie had a dominant record over Martina on clay, where Martina avoided playing her for many years after getting slapped around. In one French Open Final, Evert double-bagled Navratilova. DOUBLE. BAGLE.

Also, Chris may very well have had more Slams if she had not skipped like 8 or 9 Slams in the '75-'80 period, at the French (where she was pretty much unbeatable) and the Australian.

And remember, Martina didn't even show up until Chrissie was already at her peak. So, during Martina's peak, Chris was on the down-turn (well, for her anyways).

As for Steffi, yes, she was amazing and dominant and great to watch. But she lacked a real rival. Had Monica Seles not been stabbed, and sidelined for years, it would have been very different.

Also, one of Steffi's French Open wins was handed to her, when Martina Hingis had a nervous breakdown on the court. :)

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:30 pm

Carrie wrote:Women are not supposed to be taller than men.

Are you saying you have a problem with my favorite volleyball player?

Come on. She's only 6'9"!

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:35 pm

diana_fan wrote:Are you saying you have a problem with my favorite volleyball player?

Come on. She's only 6'9"!

I have no problem with her at all. There are guys out there for her who are taller than that.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Carrie wrote:I have no problem with her at all. There are guys out there for her who are taller than that.

:)

Damn. In 4" heels, she's 7'1"! :o

She's a hell of a player, though. Only a few weeks til Beijing.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Saw some highlights on ESPN at the bar, looked like it was all Serena. It will be what, 9 slams after this one?

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 346 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Carrie wrote:Women are not supposed to be taller than men.

From what I know of Geena Davis, I'll admit: She's taller, uglier, and a better archer than I am.

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Lord Simian wrote:From what I know of Geena Davis, I'll admit: She's taller, uglier, and a better archer than I am.

Yeah, she'd probably take you.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 pm

Aaron_W wrote:Yeah, she'd probably take you.

In an archery contest, sure. In a fight? I'm a dirtier fighter.

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---

--Lex Luthor

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Lord Simian wrote:From what I know of Geena Davis, I'll admit: She's taller, uglier, and a better archer than I am.

Yes, but she married Jeff Goldblum and Renny Harlin who are both tall guys, the way nature intended!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Carrie wrote:Yes, but she married Jeff Goldblum and Renny Harlin who are both tall guys, the way nature intended!

Your idea of men the way nature intended is JEFF GOLDBLUM and RENNY HARLIN? :shock:

--Lex Luthor

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:28 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Your idea of men the way nature intended is JEFF GOLDBLUM and RENNY HARLIN? :shock:

It's not the specific men. It's just the concept of men being taller than women. That's how it should be. Look at Danny Devito. He's a vertically challenged guy, so what'd he do? He went out and found himself a little woman!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum