Advertisement

DAVAI MASHA! Or, Wimbledon 2008.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

diana_fan

Liked in: 61 posts

DAVAI MASHA! Or, Wimbledon 2008.

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:14 pm

So, not too many surprises the first day of Round One. Everything, for the most part, when according to plan, especially on the Ladies' side.

David Nalbandian (7) was eliminated in straight sets, as if he didn't even go out there with a purpose. Quite a sad performance actually.

Tomorrow, on the agenda, Masha, Venus, and more.

So who is everyone's favorite?

Mine are:

Gentlemen: Roger Federer, wins his sixth straight Wimby title.

Ladies: Maria Sharapova climbs out of her recent "slump" and captures her second title here on the grass, and her fourth overall Slam title.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 232 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:17 pm

It's weird being in a place that doesn't have Wimbledon coverage on normal TV. I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. I miss it, despite not really being the greatest follower of tennis any more.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Why did I think Wimbledon started next week? Dammit, same thing happened to me with the French.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 pm

nietoperz wrote:It's weird being in a place that doesn't have Wimbledon coverage on normal TV. I should be used to it by now, but I'm not. I miss it, despite not really being the greatest follower of tennis any more.

Well, it's only on cable here. And that's only the big, big tourneys. The United States has really fallen off the tennis map. So, I know how you feel.

Who are your favorites?

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

I can't wait for the US Open

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I can't wait for the US Open

REPORTED AND IGNORED!~!!!! :mad: :evil:

OK, I posted a pic of Masha at the US Open, so I really can't blame Melon, I guess. :(

Damn.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 232 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:27 pm

diana_fan wrote:Well, it's only on cable here. And that's only the big, big tourneys. The United States has really fallen off the tennis map. So, I know how you feel.

Who are your favorites?

No idea -I lost track along the way. Men's tennis tends to be too clinical now as well...

I remember going to Wimbledon as a kid. I watched Martina play Chris Evert on centre court one year.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 pm

nietoperz wrote:No idea -I lost track along the way. Men's tennis tends to be too clinical now as well...

I remember going to Wimbledon as a kid. I watched Martina play Chris Evert on centre court one year.

I hate you.

I mean, I don't really hate you. But I do. If you know what I mean. :)

Chris Evert is my all-time favorite player ever. I watched those two duel it out year after year on TV. God those were great battles.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 pm

God, tennis players are so hot.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:32 pm

diana_fan wrote:Well, it's only on cable here. And that's only the big, big tourneys. The United States has really fallen off the tennis map. So, I know how you feel.

Who are your favorites?

I'm thinking Fed to take it all on the Gentlemen's side, but it won't be as easy for him as it has been in the past. I know it's grass, so it's right in his wheelhouse, but he's been quite a bit more vulnerable over the last year or so. I'm thinking guys like Djokovic, possibly Nadal, and one "wild-card" type like Ferrer to be in the semi-final (haven't really taken a good look at the brackets yet, so I don't even know if that's possible).

The Ladies' final is, as always, more difficult to predict. The Williams Sisters, of whom I'm pretty sure I'm the only fan or around here, are always way too unpredictable. I expect Sharapova, Henin, Ivanovic, and maybe a Chakvetadze to put in strong showings. I'm hoping Vaidisova gets herself back on track. I really like her a lot. Then again, a few years ago, I was expecting Mauresmo to really break out, and I'm still waiting.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Potter Who » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 pm

isn't Sharapova causing a huge stir for opting to wear shorts instead of a skirt?

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 pm

HartyPotter wrote:isn't Sharapova causing a huge stir for opting to wear shorts instead of a skirt?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I find it unlikely that Masha would wear shorts, but who knows? We'll find out tomorrow.

Oh, and if you're waiting for Justine to win it, you may be waiting a while. She retired and had her name taken off the rankings listings.

ETA: You're correct. I searched, and apparently she's going with the tee and shorts look. Fine by me.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 pm

diana_fan wrote:Oh, and if you're waiting for Justine to win it, you may be waiting a while. She retired and had her name taken off the rankings listings.

Clearly, I have not been paying much attention.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:Clearly, I have not been paying much attention.

No problem. She did it RIGHT before the French, and sent a letter requesting her name be removed (so she could end up #1).

That was like a month ago, or so. So, no worries.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:30 pm

1 down, 6 to go! Masha breezed through her 1st round match, defeating qualifier Stephanie Foretz (who played wearing glasses!) of France, 6-1 6-4. The only hiccup was a brief loss of concentration in the 2nd set which led not only to a few shots in the net, but a break of serve. Fortunately, she was up two breaks at that point, and had no trouble closing out the match.

That's the way a Champion is supposed to dismiss her 1st Round opponent.

Otherwise, no real surprises on either side on Day 2. I'm fairly sure that everyone who was supposed to win, did. I guess the only surprise so far this Wimbledon is that the weather has been perfect (knock on wood) so far.

Rafa Nadal made quick work of his opponent, as expected. I don't see how it's not going to be a FedEx - Rafa final. I think it's all but guaranteed at this point, unless Marat Safin, whose NEVER liked it here, decides to wake up and find his grass court game.

Oh, one "surprise": Nikolay Davydenko lost to German youngster Benjamin Becker. But Davy didn't even look he wanted to be there, and went down in straights.

Round 2 begins tomorrow, with both #1s, Ivanovic and Federer, in action. Ana faces the perennial Frenchwoman, Natalie Dechy. That should be something like 1 and 0. While Roger faces some guy named Soderling, of whom I've never heard. That will likely be 3,2,and 2.

Also Serena Williams takes to the grass for a second round match versus Urzula Radwanska, the younger (I think) sister of Agnieszka. Supposedly, Urzula is a good player, but I've never seen her. That match could go a number of ways.

The main thing I've noticed so far is, although they've slowed the grass the last few years, and made the balls heavier, it's still playing quick. A year or two ago, the US Open hardcourts were playing faster than Wimby. This year, the pace seems to be back up. Not to the Ivanisovic - Sampras days, where almost every point was an ace. But still, quicker.[/img]
Last edited by diana_fan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum