Advertisement

Is Dexter the closest we'll get to a good Batman tv series?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:38 pm

We don't know that Batman isn't out killing people. He can be standing in front of Gordon, and then just vanish, and we really don't know where he goes then. I mean, this is Batman, if he can do that, he surely wouldn't let some comic book artist watch him murdering people off panel.

I get what you're saying, jsalwen, and it's a neat comparison.

Advertisement

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 166 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:40 pm

doombug wrote:Dexter really isn't bad guy. he accidentally killed one good person.


Dxeter is completely a bad guy. He loves to kill. It gets him off. Killing bad guys is just his way of following a code to keep him from flipping out and going Dahmer on bitches.

It's like Vic mackey. You can love Vic all you want, and that's the beauty of both shows; they make you empathize and root for the monster. But just because he's an anti-hero, let's not forget that Dexter is a bad guy.

And jsalwen, if we paint only in the broadest strokes possible, sure, Dexter seems similar to batman in some ways. But it's a surface comparison. Like saying Ronald Reagan and Obama are the same because they both had two legs and wear pants and were/are Presidents.

Dexter is compelled to kill. Without harry's code, he'd have probably killed off everyone he can't feel any genuine emotion for. He's not compelled to fight crime and injustice. He's not compelled to keep bad things from happening to good people. In fact, he waits until after the good people have already been hurt, because he's not even like the Punisher. Dexter is simply a man who needs to kill, and this is the most society-friendly way he can exercise his lethal compulsions.

Conversely, Batman might well be a supa-freak, but he still attempts to stop the bad guys before the hurt the good folks. He attempts to do so while respecting the chain of evidence, so that, unlike Dexter, society metes out the justice it is supposed to. Dex takes that responsibility from the hands of society. batman delivers criminals to the cops, often with enough evidence to convict.

Dexters labors under the misconception that his monstrosity is well-managed because he only kills bad people. But he's already stepped over the line long ago. And history shows that killers like Dexter are always stepping over more and more boundaries. It's just a matter of time for Dex.

Batman realizes that if he ever takes that same step over the line, he becomes a monster. A monster that will slide further and further into darkness.

Dexter takes the power of law from society and imposes it at his discretion. Batman restores the power of law to society, because it's been taken away by people like Dexter.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:We don't know that Batman isn't out killing people. He can be standing in front of Gordon, and then just vanish, and we really don't know where he goes then. I mean, this is Batman, if he can do that, he surely wouldn't let some comic book artist watch him murdering people off panel.

I get what you're saying, jsalwen, and it's a neat comparison.


too phar.:P
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66070
Likes: 550 posts
Liked in: 365 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

jsalwen wrote:too phar.:P


:shock:

Yes, agreeing with you here is just that. :-D

But that you recognized it... :o
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

McKegan
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9657
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ


Postby McKegan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah, Dexter's only interested in justice as far as it gives him an excuse to kill mofos. To call him a hero, even though he's made to be likable, is a bit of a stretch.

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Strict: Batman also sees himself as a monster.:P

Thank you for providing another point. :-D
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

McKegan
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9657
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ


Postby McKegan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:46 pm

jsalwen wrote:May I ask why you care so much?

I make a thread meant in fun that compares Dexter to Batman.

You enter the thread and act like a complete ass. You don't see the fun in it? That's fine. Get the fuck out and don't let the door hit you.

Do you just have to be right?

I know there are differences between Dexter and Batman. That's obvious. That's why it's fun to look for the similarities. :roll:


Oh dears, did I hurt your thread's feelings. Uptight much?

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 pm

McKegan wrote:Yeah, Dexter's only interested in justice as far as it gives him an excuse to kill mofos. To call him a hero, even though he's made to be likable, is a bit of a stretch.


Not saying he's a hero, but does Batman really consider himself a hero? Not really.

Batman is compelled to do what he does. This has been covered exensively in the comics and even in the movies.

So he's just as compelled as Dexter is, it's just that he doesn't kill.

That's another similarity.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:49 pm

McKegan wrote:Oh dears, did I hurt your thread's feelings. Uptight much?


Not at all. You're the one that seems so affected by the comparison and the need to prove yourself right.

I'm just wondering why you care so much.
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Image

Image

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm

jsalwen wrote:Strict: Batman also sees himself as a monster.:P

Thank you for providing another point. :-D


A specific example is the Dark Knight Returns where Batman and Face have their final showdown. He looks at Face and sees his entire face scarred, and then he sees himself only as a giant bat.

"I see a reflection..."

-natch
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Doc Jon
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 28778
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Jersey
Formerly: Doc Spider


Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Image

Image


Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

You should have put Jimmy Smits instead of Masuka! :-D
Image


HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

McKegan
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9657
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ


Postby McKegan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 pm

jsalwen wrote:Not at all. You're the one that seems so affected by the comparison and the need to prove yourself right.

I'm just wondering why you care so much.


I don't know, you're the one that started the topic to which I responded 'nopers'. I didn't realize that the only way to take part in one of your threads was you had to agree with whatever you were saying. Sorry. :roll:

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 pm

jsalwen wrote:Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

You should have put Jimmy Smits instead of Masuka! :-D


I didn't do these, I just found them on Google :)

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 166 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 pm

jsalwen wrote:Strict: Batman also sees himself as a monster.:P

Thank you for providing another point. :-D


Batman sees the imminent danger of becoming a monster. But Batman is always humanizing himself. Everytime he gets to the edge, he allows himself to remember the human aspects of his life. Like, how much he loves Dick. Ahem.

Dexter's attempts at humanization are merely to increase the effectiveness of his mask.

But if you're not gonna listen and merely make the stretch of reason that these points are actually supporting your argument, I'm gonna go and talk about space titties.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 49 guests

Advertisement