Advertisement

Is Dexter the closest we'll get to a good Batman tv series?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 pm

doombug wrote:Dexter really isn't bad guy. he accidentally killed one good person.
Accident? :smt017
He stalked the guy, drugged him, kidnapped him, tied him to a table and then after the guy told him he didn't do it, Dexter stabbed and sliced him up with a knife, cut his body into pieces and dumped them in the ocean.
That's no "accident" my friend.

Dexter got sloppy and fucked up (he did a lot of that this last season).

Advertisement

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Strict31 wrote:Batman sees the imminent danger of becoming a monster. But Batman is always humanizing himself. Everytime he gets to the edge, he allows himself to remember the human aspects of his life. Like, how much he loves Dick. Ahem.

Dexter's attempts at humanization are merely to increase the effectiveness of his mask.

But if you're not gonna listen and merely make the stretch of reason that these points are actually supporting your argument, I'm gonna go and talk about space titties.

I see your points, but there are different interpretations of Batman.

Yes, you are correct. There are differences between the characters. I've admitted to that.

But I do think that Dark Knight Returns line (my favorite Bat book) is pretty telling and that it's an apt comparison rather than just a 'broad stroke'.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Amoebas wrote:Accident? :smt017
He stalked the guy, drugged him, kidnapped him, tied him to a table and then after the guy told him he didn't do it, Dexter stabbed and sliced him up with a knife, cut his body into pieces and dumped them in the ocean.

That was because he had that whole family thing going on. He's learned from that mistake, and it's another similarity.

I think at the end of season 8, we'll see him finally don the cowl and become... BATMAN!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't know, you're the one that started the topic to which I responded 'nopers'. I didn't realize that the only way to take part in one of your threads was you had to agree with whatever you were saying. Sorry.

Apology accepted.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:15 pm

McKegan wrote:Way to take the joke literal.

Can we open a special needs subforum, where jsalwen can open similar threads like, 'Is Alf the Closest We'll Come to a Good Superman Show? They're both aliens, ya know."

Superman has been looking at that cat with a hungry look in his eye...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Strict31 wrote:Dxeter is completely a bad guy. He loves to kill. It gets him off. Killing bad guys is just his way of following a code to keep him from flipping out and going Dahmer on bitches.

It's like Vic mackey. You can love Vic all you want, and that's the beauty of both shows; they make you empathize and root for the monster. But just because he's an anti-hero, let's not forget that Dexter is a bad guy.

And jsalwen, if we paint only in the broadest strokes possible, sure, Dexter seems similar to batman in some ways. But it's a surface comparison. Like saying Ronald Reagan and Obama are the same because they both had two legs and wear pants and were/are Presidents.

Dexter is compelled to kill. Without harry's code, he'd have probably killed off everyone he can't feel any genuine emotion for. He's not compelled to fight crime and injustice. He's not compelled to keep bad things from happening to good people. In fact, he waits until after the good people have already been hurt, because he's not even like the Punisher. Dexter is simply a man who needs to kill, and this is the most society-friendly way he can exercise his lethal compulsions.

Conversely, Batman might well be a supa-freak, but he still attempts to stop the bad guys before the hurt the good folks. He attempts to do so while respecting the chain of evidence, so that, unlike Dexter, society metes out the justice it is supposed to. Dex takes that responsibility from the hands of society. batman delivers criminals to the cops, often with enough evidence to convict.

Dexters labors under the misconception that his monstrosity is well-managed because he only kills bad people. But he's already stepped over the line long ago. And history shows that killers like Dexter are always stepping over more and more boundaries. It's just a matter of time for Dex.

Batman realizes that if he ever takes that same step over the line, he becomes a monster. A monster that will slide further and further into darkness.

Dexter takes the power of law from society and imposes it at his discretion. Batman restores the power of law to society, because it's been taken away by people like Dexter.

With the last two seasons a lone Dexter has grown and changed as a person. He's not the monster we were first introduced to. He realized he loved his family, he will protect his sister at any costs and hell he even defended trinity's family against him.

I view him more as a tragic figure who's life has been pretty fucked up but he doesn't want his son to be like him.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Amoebas wrote:Accident? :smt017

Yes accident. As in Dexter decided to be a moron and almost drop the ball and get caught and didn't take the time to find out the guy's assistant was the killer.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:34 pm

doombug wrote:With the last two seasons a lone Dexter has grown and changed as a person. He's not the monster we were first introduced to. He realized he loved his family, he will protect his sister at any costs and hell he even defended trinity's family against him.

I view him more as a tragic figure who's life has been pretty fucked up but he doesn't want his son to be like him.

Dexter's simply realized that his family and friends are a reflection on him. Dexter will always think in terms of "I" when it comes to his family. They're important to him. But he still doesn't realize why he's important to them.

It's common for killers like Dexter to do that, even if they have families, like BTK.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Strict31 wrote:Dexter's simply realized that his family and friends are a reflection on him. Dexter will always think in terms of "I" when it comes to his family. They're important to him. But he still doesn't realize why he's important to them.

It's common for killers like Dexter to do that, even if they have families, like BTK.

But does Batman care about the people he saves? Or are they a reflection of him and his mission?

It will always be HIS war.

"Jason was a good soldier, he honored me. But the war goes on."

:twisted:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Pics of your wife dressed as Batman, or you lie.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:27 pm

CHRIS! wrote:Pics of your wife dressed as Batman, or you lie.

Those are just for me...

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Bumping for starlord...:P

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:54 pm

jsalwen wrote:Animated, sure.

Do I have to say live action too? Jesus are all you motherfuckers lawyers. :roll:

Yes, because Batman The Animated Series was an awesome television series.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:55 pm

sdsichero wrote:Yes, because Batman The Animated Series was an awesome television series.

Oh hell yes.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 391 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 pm

sdsichero wrote:Yes, because Batman The Animated Series was an awesome television series.

:smt023
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum