Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42745
Likes: 215 posts
Liked in: 194 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby nietoperz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Strict31 wrote:I have a question:

So in this episode, Melody Pond is in her early twenties when she regenerates, and takes on the appearance of a woman in her late 40s.

She has no more regenerations allowed to her.

Ignoring for a moment her death in the Library, in theory, would she live out the lifespan of a person in her 20s? Or would she live out the lifespan of a person in her late 40s? Would she visibly and physically age? Or would she remain the same appearance and at the same level of physical ability throughout the rest of her Time Lord lifespan?

I don't really have a grasp on how Time Lords age.

She would age very slowly. The first Doctor collapsed due to old age, but he was many centuries old by that point despite only looking like a relatively old human.

Advertisement

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Strict31 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:00 pm

nietoperz wrote:She would age very slowly. The first Doctor collapsed due to old age, but he was many centuries old by that point despite only looking like a relatively old human.


So do they age normally as children until they reach...what, puberty? Or do they age slowly all through their lives?
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Strict31 wrote:I have a question:

So in this episode, Melody Pond is in her early twenties when she regenerates, and takes on the appearance of a woman in her late 40s.

She has no more regenerations allowed to her.

Ignoring for a moment her death in the Library, in theory, would she live out the lifespan of a person in her 20s? Or would she live out the lifespan of a person in her late 40s? Would she visibly and physically age? Or would she remain the same appearance and at the same level of physical ability throughout the rest of her Time Lord lifespan?

I don't really have a grasp on how Time Lords age.


I've long taken it that Time Lords physically age slowly, but based on the physical. So as a 40something, she'd have a shorter life then as a 20something, yet this is still described in hundreds of years.

She still had regenerations at that point. She gave up her remaining to heal/revive the Doctor. There were machines for this to control it that was a plot device in an adventure of the fifth Doctor. Also, the regeneration of the third to the fourth was begun externally by another Time Lord. So I'd say this was something similar. Plus, River was not a true Time Lord, so things could have been a bit different for her.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Strict31 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure she's got a time-head too.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:05 pm

nietoperz wrote:She would age very slowly. The first Doctor collapsed due to old age, but he was many centuries old by that point despite only looking like a relatively old human.


That and the Cyber energy thing had that effect.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

PDH
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7212
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 65 posts
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 am


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby PDH » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Strict31 wrote:I have a question:

So in this episode, Melody Pond is in her early twenties when she regenerates, and takes on the appearance of a woman in her late 40s.

She has no more regenerations allowed to her.

Ignoring for a moment her death in the Library, in theory, would she live out the lifespan of a person in her 20s? Or would she live out the lifespan of a person in her late 40s? Would she visibly and physically age? Or would she remain the same appearance and at the same level of physical ability throughout the rest of her Time Lord lifespan?

I don't really have a grasp on how Time Lords age.


In the episode, River said that she was going to gradually reduce her age just to freak people out, or something like that. I'm guessing this was Moffat's way of explaining why she is younger in the earlier episodes like Silence in the Library despite being technically older by that point.

So, it seems like she has a bit of control over it, or at least her appearance of age.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Strict31 wrote:I'm pretty sure she's got a time-head too.


She appears to be linked to the TARDIS. That seems to be why. That and being like a Time Lord, but not. She was conceived and born by humans.

I honestly thought though, it was contrived how she changed from psycho to goodheart type. Too easy.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:08 pm

PDH wrote:
In the episode, River said that she was going to gradually reduce her age just to freak people out, or something like that. I'm guessing this was Moffat's way of explaining why she is younger in the earlier episodes like Silence in the Library despite being technically older by that point.

So, it seems like she has a bit of control over it, or at least her appearance of age.



Women... the older they are, the younger they want to look and be thought of. :roll:


:P :lol: :wink:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

PDH
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7212
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 65 posts
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 am


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby PDH » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
She appears to be linked to the TARDIS. That seems to be why. That and being like a Time Lord, but not. She was conceived and born by humans.

I honestly thought though, it was contrived how she changed from psycho to goodheart type. Too easy.


Her transformation might not be quite finished yet. Someone has to kill him yet, don't forget.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:10 pm

PDH wrote:
Her transformation might not be quite finished yet. Someone has to kill him yet, don't forget.


If it was really him and not a doppelganger or something similar.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41354
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:51 pm

False Prophet wrote:
No I mean the Doctor too, considering what happens in The Impossible Astronaut.


No. He did begin to regenerate. He was killed again before he could.

If you're killed in the middle of a regeneration cycle, you die completely.
Image

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41354
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:The spanner is that it appears as though there are now only a limited number of regenerations again.


Do you mean for the Doctor??
Image

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Leviticus Payne wrote:
Do you mean for the Doctor??


Yes, it seems possible that we're back to him also having a limited number again.

I'd prefer to see though, that he's now capable of an indefinite number of them, given he's the last of his race. Maybe even reveal it as some sort of a "curse" from Rasalon during or at the end of the war. Have some future version, like a 100th Doctor come back and try to alter it. Yes it's ripping off the Futurejack story from Grimjack, but I think it'd fit nicely. More so for when Matt leaves the role.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41354
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Yes, it seems possible that we're back to him also having a limited number again.

I'd prefer to see though, that he's now capable of an indefinite number of them, given he's the last of his race. Maybe even reveal it as some sort of a "curse" from Rasalon during or at the end of the war. Have some future version, like a 100th Doctor come back and try to alter it. Yes it's ripping off the Futurejack story from Grimjack, but I think it'd fit nicely. More so for when Matt leaves the role.


I was under the impression that River sacrificing all of her regenerations to save him, gave the Doctor all her regens.
Image

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 773 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Leviticus Payne wrote:
I was under the impression that River sacrificing all of her regenerations to save him, gave the Doctor all her regens.


That could be an answer. How many she had left is hard to say.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 49 guests

Advertisement