Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I still suspect that Hurt's Doctor will have a different name. Not Valryard but perhaps something else.
I got the feeling with Hurt's scene that he was a very important part of the war. Maybe he was The General?

It has to be something like that, yeah.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Chris wrote:
You're arguing pointless things.

The Doctor doesn't go around calling himself the 11th Doctor, or the 10th Doctor or whatever. The numbering is for the fans.

And the BBC is calling it the 12th Doctor, and have shown McGann's picture among the past Doctors. Hurt does not count as a "Doctor".

Hurt is a past regeneration, but one the Doctor doesn't acknowledge anymore. It's not complicated.

pointless to you, because you have accepted whatever line you want to believe. I have stronger faith in Moffat than to believe he would suggest there is a doctor and then not count him. The rules are the rules and there is either a clever out or a cheat. Cleverness I can get down with, a cheat will upset me.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:pointless to you, because you have accepted whatever line you want to believe. I have stronger faith in Moffat than to believe he would suggest there is a doctor and then not count him. The rules are the rules and there is either a clever out or a cheat. Cleverness I can get down with, a cheat will upset me.

But what is the cheat? Again, the numbering is for the fans. It has never played a role within the show. We can say the Doctor has had 11 regenerations already, and this will be the 12th, instead of the 11th because of the revelation of Hurt... but that would still make Capaldi the 12th Doctor, because that is the official line from the BBC, and because the Doctor does not acknowledge Hurt.

I think you're trying to see something more complex there than there really is.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm

:D :D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:52 pm

:roll:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 783 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I love that another Scotsman has been cast.

What I am interested in, is which Doctor(s) are the ones who's scripts he read from for practice?
Whom is he going to base his Doctor on? Given that prior actors have loosely based themselves
on prior... or were influenced... leaves me wondering on what kind of Doctor this will be.

For some reason, I suspect he'll be a mix of Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker. A little dark compared to Smith or Tennant, but otherwise a fun loving Doctor driven by curiosity.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:02 pm

I wonder if this means they'll get another younger companion to go with Clara?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Capaldi's role in World War Z:

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 397 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Chris wrote:Capaldi's role in World War Z:

OK, that's cool. :lol:

Thank you Troy for the sig

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Ooh I forgot he was in Torchwood. He was awesome in that. Loved him in Neverwhere, Thick of It, and Skins too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Capaldi is amazing.

Any Americans who haven't already need to see The Thick Of It and In The Loop NOW.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Zero wrote:Ooh I forgot he was in Torchwood.

Yes he was, but it's also why I don't know that I'm entirely happy about the choice. I don't know if I want the Doctor to have the same face that I've already associated with another character within the universe of the Doctor. I'm sure I'll eventually grow to enjoy Capaldi in the role the same as all the other Doctors. Having said that, there's always a period of adjustment when it comes to getting used to the new actor in the role. I can see that period being more difficult for me than normal due to the fact that it's a face I already know from within the show.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Yes he was, but it's also why I don't know that I'm entirely happy about the choice. I don't know if I want the Doctor to have the same face that I've already associated with another character within the universe of the Doctor. I'm sure I'll eventually grow to enjoy Capaldi in the role the same as all the other Doctors. Having said that, there's always a period of adjustment when it comes to getting used to the new actor in the role. I can see that period being more difficult for me than normal due to the fact that it's a face I already know from within the show.

They have cast companions who have appeared on the show in the past, so I don't see much of an issue.

Moreover, Torchwood became increasingly seperate from Doctor Who with the last two series, so it's not a big issue for me.

Capaldi being great as he is, I'm sure he will play the role in a unique way different from those roles.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:pointless to you, because you have accepted whatever line you want to believe. I have stronger faith in Moffat than to believe he would suggest there is a doctor and then not count him. The rules are the rules and there is either a clever out or a cheat. Cleverness I can get down with, a cheat will upset me.

Now you see what I meant?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Chris wrote:
They have cast companions who have appeared on the show in the past, so I don't see much of an issue.

Companions that have been on the show before don't bother me as I can easily dismiss it as two distantly related people in two separate time periods. It's not implausible that distant relations will have similar facial features. It's a lot harder to get into that thought when it comes to the Doctor himself for obvious reason.

Moreover, Torchwood became increasingly separate from Doctor Who with the last two series, so it's not a big issue for me.

Capaldi being great as he is, I'm sure he will play the role in a unique way different from those roles.

Torchwood still exist in Doctor Who universe. The Torchwood cast has appeared in actual Who episodes, so it's not that easy for me to just dismiss characters in that series.

Hey, I agree that Capaldi will be good in the role. I just wish he hadn't already played characters in Doctor Who and Torchwood.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum