Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby David Bird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Chris wrote:
Loss of self and personality?

It's why I loved Tennant's regeneration. I think it's the first time we saw how important each Doctor's personality was. They're all the same person with the same memories, but they're also not the same person in some ways. I loved that "I don't want to go" line..

The energy--whatever it is--that allows the Time Lords to regenerate is limited. When the Doctor, Rose, and Mickey got stuck in an alternative London and the Tardis was essentially dead, the Doctor used some of his energy to, basically, jump start its battery. He said he's given up a part of his life in order to do so. When River kills the Doctor, she gives up the entirety of her regenerative abilities to bring him back. Old series or new series, there is a limit.

Advertisement

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Just an idea. There were two versions of the 10(/11)th Doctor. One was a human version created from his hand. It went off with Rose to live in an alternative universe. Perhaps this Doctor is a secondary version of the 8th Doctor

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:11 pm

yeah I cannot wait to see the christmas episode it is going to have so much going for it but I'm going to guess that Hurt Doctor will not be fully explained until the new season episodes.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:32 pm

David Bird wrote:
The energy--whatever it is--that allows the Time Lords to regenerate is limited. When the Doctor, Rose, and Mickey got stuck in an alternative London and the Tardis was essentially dead, the Doctor used some of his energy to, basically, jump start its battery. He said he's given up a part of his life in order to do so. When River kills the Doctor, she gives up the entirety of her regenerative abilities to bring him back. Old series or new series, there is a limit.

They could easily give him an out of that. It has happened in the past with the Master. For instance, they could say when River gave up all of her regenerations, they passed on to the Doctor in addition to just bringing him back. Or they could bring back the Time Lords in the 50th and have them give him a new set of regenerations. Or any number of possibilities I'm not creative enough to think of.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 pm

I think an interesting modern slant on the regenerations that involves classic Who mythos could be that after the 12 regenerations he has a Valeyard-type anti-Doctor regeneration before he (or she possibly then) is granted another 12 "good" ones.

Without knowing in advance, it would be pretty jarring on the companion(s) trying to figure out what's going on, and it would be a pretty dramatic sacrifice for one of them to make to be the one to kill him, evil though he may be.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Chris: I am almost certain--really, as certain as one can be without really knowing anything (fanboy certain?), that they will somehow re-start the regeneration clock soon, because it imposes a limitation on the franchise's future.

Squid: How they will develop Clara from this point will be interesting. She was supposedly rewritten into every aspect of his life, past and future. How will that influence the direction of their relationship? She's almost as much a part of him as he is himself.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 pm

At any rate, I am almost sort of maybe positive the Time Lords are returning.

It seems like they're finally tackling the Time War with Hurt's character, and this lonely time god stuff has gotten old by now. Bringing them back for good would be an interesting shake-up of the status quo, since at this point much of the show's audience has never seen Doctor Who with any other status quo. It would also be good creatively to give the Doctor a system of checks and balances so we don't get so much "I AM THE DOCTOR AND WATCH OUT OR I WILL SHOUT AT YOU SOME MORE!" stuff, and scale things back a bit, and make him maybe a bit more humble.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:28 pm

I can't even guess what they'll do with Clara, it could be literally almost anything. She's going to be around for a while, from the sound of it. I like her just fine, as long as she's not just a little too good at everything. As long as she's not infallible.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Chris wrote:At any rate, I am almost sort of maybe positive the Time Lords are returning.

It seems like they're finally tackling the Time War with Hurt's character, and this lonely time god stuff has gotten old by now. Bringing them back for good would be an interesting shake-up of the status quo, since at this point much of the show's audience has never seen Doctor Who with any other status quo. It would also be good creatively to give the Doctor a system of checks and balances so we don't get so much "I AM THE DOCTOR AND WATCH OUT OR I WILL SHOUT AT YOU SOME MORE!" stuff, and scale things back a bit, and make him maybe a bit more humble.

Yup, I want them all back funny hats and all.

Especially Romana.

PDH
rubber spoon

Liked in: 1 post

Postby PDH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Chesscub wrote:Well Whovians do give a shit...

That doesn't mean that Moffat does! The fans don't write the story or decide what needs to be explained and what doesn't. This wouldn't be the first aspect of the old series just brushed away without explanation.

...and will expect an explanation. Considering it's what drove the Master for a number of episodes in the original series, it was not a minor plot point. And considering the Valeyard was supposed to be the Doctor's 13th and final incarnation in Trial of a Time Lord as well.

These are all plot points from the old series that have never once been mentioned in the new series, like the Doctor being half human.

Not saying that they will ignore it, just that they totally could if they wanted to.

Remember, if they do put some kind of excuse into the show so that the limit no longer applies that will be the first time that half the audience have even heard of the limit. It will be a case of them saying, 'Oh yeah, the Doctor only has 13 regenerations. Oh yeah and now he doesn't.' They'd have to establish that it's a thing before they established that it wasn't a thing any more.

They could do that, it might even make for an interesting story. They could also just ignore it like a tie-in novel. I'll worry about the limit when the show even bothers to bring it up at all.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 pm

The problem with your argument, PDH, is that from all the material in specials and behind the scenes stuff, it is very obvious that Moffat is a fan and very concerned with the legacy of the show.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Agree. He'll find a more elegant solution than that if he tackles it.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Here's a fun fact: at Fifty-five Peter Capaldi is the same age William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor. Fifty-five was a lot older fifty years ago.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:38 pm

David Bird wrote:Fifty-five was a lot older fifty years ago.

This should make you feel even worse about that...

He's 51.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Chris wrote:
This should make you feel even worse about that...

He's 51.

51 is a lot younger than it was when Dr Who first started.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum