Friday, July 1, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Don't Trope Me, Bro

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Herald wrote:
Gee, on that note, why should anyone study astronomy??
Or perform any form of art?? :roll:

Understanding how things work -- and such things include storytelling -- is a worthy pursuit.


Tropes don't provide any understanding of anything. Certainly nothing analogous to astronomy. It is just a list of some things from some things.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 pm

PDH wrote:
Tropes don't provide any understanding of anything. Certainly nothing analogous to astronomy. It is just a list of some things from some things.


Well, I'm not sure that's true. I mean, that website certainly doesn't, but archetypes - both in character and story - provide a rich seam of critical thought and theory. Of course, best start with Northrop Frye and Joseph Campbell, but still.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

PDH wrote:
Tropes don't provide any understanding of anything. Certainly nothing analogous to astronomy. It is just a list of some things from some things.


...he said, while completely missing the defining of the trope at the top of every entry. :roll:
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Also well said, PDH.

But there's also ones which match something like the horse head in the Godfather with Marty McFly riding a horse in BttF3 because the big connection was horses or some stupid shit.

You can connect anything if you try.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:02 pm

The Outhouse: When NASA and TV Tropes are held in the same esteem.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:But there's also ones which match something like the horse head in the Godfather with Marty McFly riding a horse in BttF3 because the big connection was horses or some stupid shit.


And which entry would that be??
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

Fagorstorm

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

A guy I work with told me this week that they really screwed up X-Men: First Class because Gambit was one of the original X-Men. He also informed me of the fact that the original Star Wars movies ripped off Battlestar Galactica.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Herald wrote:
And which entry would that be??


:roll:
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:08 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
:roll:


So you can't prove that you didn't just make your little "example" up.
That's all I wanted to know from you.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Herald, are you trying to prove that you can ruin a thread WITHOUT troping? :P
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Herald wrote:
So you can't prove that you didn't just make your little "example" up.
That's all I wanted to know from you.


I was being facetious. It wasn't a real example.

I really hope you understood that and are just trolling right now.
User avatar

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Herald, are you trying to prove that you can ruin a thread WITHOUT troping? :P


:lol:
User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:29 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I was being facetious. It wasn't a real example.

I really hope you understood that and are just trolling right now.


Maybe he just didn't understand because your fake example wasn't that unbelievable to someone that reads a lot of those tropes.

Perhaps the problem is that your hyperbole was not hyperbolic enough. :)
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I was being facetious. It wasn't a real example.


PLEASE. You were not "being facetious". :roll:

Like I said, you admitting your lie was all I needed to hear out of you.
The examples aren't as ridiculous as you claim.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Herald wrote:
PLEASE. You were not "being facetious". :roll:

Like I said, you admitting your lie was all I needed to hear out of you.
The examples aren't as ridiculous as you claim.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at you for thinking I was trying to claim that as a real example.

The guy above you got it.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, Flamebird, Google [Bot] and 44 guests