Advertisement

Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophobia and Bigotry This Friday

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76901
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am

outsider wrote:What about the link/quote I posted from Garth Franklin at Dark Horizons?
I'm pretty sure he's gay--if he says it's okay to see the movie, doesn't that mean we get a pass?


Textbook rationalization. :P
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67701
Likes: 1138 posts
Liked in: 949 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 am

If someone download a camcopy of it... is that okay and not homophobic?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76901
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:If someone download a camcopy of it... is that okay and not homophobic?


You guys are not paying attention.

It's not homophobic to watch the movie.

It's indirectly supporting homophobia. That's a fact, and I didn't tell anyone to boycott it or not watch it or burn his books. I just made fun of the rationalization that goes on to ignore the plain fact that seeing the movie is indirectly supporting Card's behavior, and the response to my fun-making has been... a whole lot of rationalization. :-D
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33919
Likes: 1310 posts
Liked in: 718 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Halloweentown
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You guys are not paying attention.

It's not homophobic to watch the movie.

It's indirectly supporting homophobia. That's a fact, and I didn't tell anyone to boycott it or not watch it or burn his books. I just made fun of the rationalization that goes on to ignore the plain fact that seeing the movie is indirectly supporting Card's behavior, and the response to my fun-making has been... a whole lot of rationalization. :-D
I didn't realize "rationalization" was synonymous with "grasping straws" or "axe-grinding". We've got a movie based on a book whose (not-that-famous) author is a bigot. If the aforementioned article is correct, Card will not receive any direct support from the movie's box office, only a secondary (probably tertiary) result of books sold. Most, if not all, of the people making the movie had no clue about Card's ideology, yet you're trying to guilt trip people into not seeing the movie? Why does it stop there? Marvel Comics and DC have paid Card, even when his bigoted ideology was well-known within the much smaller comics fanbase/industry. By extension, supporting Marvel or DC is "indirectly supporting homophobia".

Lulz aside, is the inconsistency of your guilt trip part of the click-generating show?
Last edited by outsider on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You guys are not paying attention.

It's not homophobic to watch the movie.

It's indirectly supporting homophobia. That's a fact, and I didn't tell anyone to boycott it or not watch it or burn his books. I just made fun of the rationalization that goes on to ignore the plain fact that seeing the movie is indirectly supporting Card's behavior, and the response to my fun-making has been... a whole lot of rationalization. :-D


Image
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76901
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 am

outsider wrote:I didn't realize "rationalization" was synonymous with "grasping straws" or "axe-grinding". We've got a movie based on a book whose (not-that-famous) author is a bigot. If the aforementioned article is correct, Card will not receive any direct support from the movie's box office, only a secondary (probably tertiary) result of books sold. Most, if not all, of the people making the movie had no clue about Card's ideology, yet you're trying to guilt trip people into not seeing the movie? Why does it stop there? Marvel Comics and DC have paid Card, even when his bigoted ideology was well-known within the much smaller comics fanbase/industry. By extension, supporting Marvel or DC is "indirectly supporting homophobia".

Lulz aside, is the inconsistency of your guilt trip part of the click-generating show?


i haven't told anyone not to see the movie. :lol:

In looking around the net, I saw people (most notably, a thread on IMDB.com titled "Can We Just Forget About This Gay Rights Issue Already," making excuses for why seeing the movie is not the same thing as supporting what Card has done and may do in the future. I'm simply pointing out that, no, it IS supporting him, even if indirectly, and even if only a little bit, even if through tertiary book sales, even if by showing movie studios it's okay to buy books from bigots, even if because it causes someone to buy an Ender's Game coffee mug that was licensed from the book by mistake that makes Card 5 cents.

The only correct response to this is "Yes, it is supporting him to some debatable degree, but I don't care and I'm seeing it anyway." :P
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33919
Likes: 1310 posts
Liked in: 718 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Halloweentown
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:56 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:i haven't told anyone not to see the movie. :lol:
Bitch, pleeeez. The title of your article is doing everything but. (heh, butt)
S.F. Jude Terror wrote:In looking around the net, I saw people (most notably, a thread on IMDB.com titled "Can We Just Forget About This Gay Rights Issue Already," making excuses for why seeing the movie is not the same thing as supporting what Card has done and may do in the future. I'm simply pointing out that, no, it IS supporting him, even if indirectly, and even if only a little bit, even if through tertiary book sales, even if by showing movie studios it's okay to buy books from bigots, even if because it causes someone to buy an Ender's Game coffee mug that was licensed from the book by mistake that makes Card 5 cents.
That way lies madness. That's as nutty as never buying another comic book because Jack Kirby got fucked back in the day. If anyone is going that 'deep' into looking for things to boycott, good luck finding something to purchase at a place that has no association with anything that's ever offended anyone.

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The only correct response to this is "Yes, it is supporting him to some debatable degree, but I don't care and I'm seeing it anyway." :P
Seeing Ender's Game supports Card as much as seeing Thor: The Dark World supports Walt Simonson or JMS.

I don't understand why the art can't be separated from the artist. Or conversely, let's get the artists celebrated more--Walt deserves his propers.
-

bkthomson
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 23426
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

I did not like the book so I am not going to see it, but I will be watching The Cat From Outer-Space this weekend.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76901
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:16 am

outsider wrote:Bitch, pleeeez. The title of your article is doing everything but. (heh, butt)
That way lies madness. That's as nutty as never buying another comic book because Jack Kirby got fucked back in the day. If anyone is going that 'deep' into looking for things to boycott, good luck finding something to purchase at a place that has no association with anything that's ever offended anyone.

Seeing Ender's Game supports Card as much as seeing Thor: The Dark World supports Walt Simonson or JMS.

I don't understand why the art can't be separated from the artist. Or conversely, let's get the artists celebrated more--Walt deserves his propers.


I didn't say to never see the movie or never buy the book though. I just thought it was funny to point out the rationalization. To be clear, if I had any interest in the book (I've never read it), I would buy it or watch the movie. The fact is, I'm just not interested. Won't even torrent it or watch it on TV. But if I were, I would. I just wouldn't make excuses about it. :P
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76901
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:18 am

Actually, that's not true, I probably would make excuses. :P

I still think it's funny to point out though, and people get so defensive.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33919
Likes: 1310 posts
Liked in: 718 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Halloweentown
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 am

The book is good, but I read it when I was probably 12 or 13 - the right age to read the book. I re-read it a year ago and it's still good, but not as AMAZING as it was when I was younger. But to approach that book with an older, seasoned perspective is only going to cause the book to suffer.
(A similar scenario happened when I finally read Gibson's Neuromancer as an adult.)
-

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33919
Likes: 1310 posts
Liked in: 718 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Halloweentown
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Actually, that's not true, I probably would make excuses. :P

I still think it's funny to point out though, and people get so defensive.
If I were more excited about this movie, I would go see it with a guilt-free conscience. As good an actor as Asa Butterfield is (Hugo was fantastic!), he's too old to play Ender. I would have preferred an animated or CGI adaptation so we'd get younger children (no pedo).

Plus, movie tickets and babysitters are expensive. I'm saving my money for Thor. 8)
-

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27854
Likes: 142 posts
Liked in: 485 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby Rockman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am

Does a movie failing really affect a key grip?

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67701
Likes: 1138 posts
Liked in: 949 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You guys are not paying attention.

It's not homophobic to watch the movie.

It's indirectly supporting homophobia. That's a fact, and I didn't tell anyone to boycott it or not watch it or burn his books. I just made fun of the rationalization that goes on to ignore the plain fact that seeing the movie is indirectly supporting Card's behavior, and the response to my fun-making has been... a whole lot of rationalization. :-D


Uh, how does "indirectly supporting homophobia" not equal supporting homophobia or more specifically be homophobic?

Honestly, you guys are making it hard to choose to be homophobic or not! STOP CONFUSING ME!!!

Also, what is homophobic in the movie? The book?

How the hell can this not be some twisted guide in how to be a homophobic?!? It fails to tell us how!!! THIS IS NOT RATIONAL?!?!

Stop taking my choices away you nazicommieteapartyobamaists!!! :smt013
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41960
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:36 am

Rockman wrote:Does a movie failing really affect a key grip?


This demands further investigation. I suggest we table the discussion for now and reconvene after we've examined the financial impact upon the Key Grip (and all the Grips he or she supervises).
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Advertisement