Advertisement

Favorite Fighters & Martial Artists Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Favorite Fighters & Martial Artists Thread

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

I am making a thread about one's favorite real live martial artists( No fictional characters can be included) from different fields whether it be film, television, professional fighting, etc. Also, you can include people who have taken martial arts but aren't necessarily martial artists themselves as listed below. Anyone can feel free to post:

My List:

Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
Michael Jai White
Jean Claude Van Damme
Wesley Snipes
Arnold Chon( Walker, Texas Ranger)
Kelly Hu( Martial Law, Cradle To The Grave)
Mike Tyson
Muhammed Ali
James Wlcek( Walker, Texas Ranger, Sons Of Thunder)
Nia Peeples( Walker, Texas Ranger, Half Past Dead)
Judson Mills( Walker, Texas Ranger)
Marc Dacascos( Only The Strong, Cradle To The Grave, Martial Law)
Russell Wong( Romeo Must Die)
Jackie Chan
Jet Li
Cyril Raffaelli( Kiss Of The Dragon, Die Hard With A Vengaence, Assault On Precint 13)
Bob Sapp
Jim Kelly( Enter The Dragon)
Jason Scott Lee( Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story)
Maggie Q( Die Hard With A Vengaence)
Michelle Yeoh( Tomorrow Never Dies, Charlies Angels)
Lennox Lewis
Frank Shamrock
Chuck Liddell
Forrest Griffin
Cam Gigandet( Never Back Down)
Zhang Ziyi( Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Rush Hour 2)
Jason Statham
Scott Adkins( Expendables 2, The Tournament)
Lorenzo Lamas( The Renegade)
Billy Blanks
Don The Dragon Wilson
Willie Bam Johnson
Sean Kannan( Karate Kid 3, Walker, Texas Ranger)
Robin Shou

Will Add More Soon

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: Favorite Fighters & Martial Artists Thread

Postby MistaT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Your lists are always way too long. :lol:

When you put that many names on a list they cease to be "favorites" and just become a bunch of people you like. Favorites need to be like 3 people max.

Also the correct answer is:

1. Bruce Lee
2. Bruce Lee
3. Bruce Lee

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 pm

MistaT wrote:Your lists are always way too long. :lol:

When you put that many names on a list they cease to be "favorites" and just become a bunch of people you like. Favorites need to be like 3 people max.

Also the correct answer is:

1. Bruce Lee
2. Bruce Lee
3. Bruce Lee

My bad. These are just people I thought of at the top of my head. However, you made the correct choice with Bruce Lee-hence why he is on the top of my list.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 pm

draco x wrote:
My bad. These are just people I thought of at the top of my head. However, you made the correct choice with Bruce Lee-hence why he is on the top of my list.

Of course that is all just my opinion really. If you want to have 50 favorites then feel free, just seems a bit much to me is all. Anywho...also on the list:

Brandon Lee (the son was pretty good too)
Phillip & Simon Rhee (Best of the Best)

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:31 pm

MistaT wrote:
Of course that is all just my opinion really. If you want to have 50 favorites then feel free, just seems a bit much to me is all. Anywho...also on the list:

Brandon Lee (the son was pretty good too)
Phillip & Simon Rhee (Best of the Best)

Yeah, I should add these two along with Tony Jaa as well.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 pm

draco x wrote:
Yeah, I should add these two along with Tony Jaa as well.

Whatever happened to him? He made quite a big splash when he first appeared, but then nothing. :smt102

Maybe he's off practicing his english. :lol:

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

MistaT wrote:
Whatever happened to him? He made quite a big splash when he first appeared, but then nothing. :smt102

Maybe he's off learning english. :lol:

Good question. Honestly I didn't even remember him until I made this list.

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I always liked Jackie Chan though he apparently trashed the United States in an interview the other day which disappoint me more than a tad. I also enjoyed Jason Statham in the first two Transporter movies.
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 pm

BatWatch wrote:I always liked Jackie Chan though he apparently trashed the United States in an interview the other day which disappoint me more than a tad. I also enjoyed Jason Statham in the first two Transporter movies.

I think I heard about that interview actually. Seeing as how he gained a lot exposure in the states that was not a smart career move.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Calls US the most corrupt nation in the world

Americans know Jackie Chan best for his cheery, acrobatic performances in action movies such as “Rumble in the Bronx” and “Rush Hour,” made successful by his amazing martial artistry and self-effacing comedy. Chinese know Chan, a Hong Kong native, for largely the same reasons. But they also know him for something most Americans might find surprising: He is passionately political, a staunch defender of the Chinese Communist Party and harsh critic of anyone he sees as opposing Beijing. Today, that includes the United States.

Chan, responding to widespread criticism of China’s recent censorship of a popular newspaper, insisted in a Chinese TV interview that the United States is “the most corrupt country in the world.” He scolded Chinese who criticize their country in a way that foreigners can hear or see, adding that he’s careful to only praise China when giving interviews in the U.S.

Here are his comments, translated into English by Ministry of Tofu, which also has the video. It’s worth watching to see how animated he becomes when criticizing the U.S. and defending China. I don’t speak Chinese, unfortunately, but if you’re like me then you can follow him a little by listening for the word “Meiguo,” which means America. (Fun fact: It translates literally to “beautiful country.”)

Jackie Chan: The New China. The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the United State, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Chan: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

Chan: Of course. Where does this Great Breakdown [financial crisis] come from? It started exactly from the world, the United States. When I was interviewed in the U.S., people asked me, I said the same thing. I said now that China has become strong, everyone is making an issue of China. If our own countrymen don’t support our country, who will support our country? We know our country has many problems. We [can] talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, [we should say] “our country is the best.”

Host: So he can’t get enough of his more than 20 ambassador titles. I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should ask him to be the ambassador to the United States.

Chan: Seriously, I am always like, when the door is closed, “Our country is like this and this. Who and who is not good.” But outside, “Our country is the best, like so and so, is the best.” You cannot say our country has problems [when you are outside], like “Yes, our country is bad.”

This interview is probably not so surprising to Chinese viewers. Chan has been stirring controversy for a few years now for criticizing Taiwan and Hong Kong as models of what can go wrong when you have “too much freedom.” He once said, in defending China’s censorship of his films, “Chinese people need to be controlled, otherwise they will do whatever they want.” So, in some ways, it was probably only a matter of time until he set his sights on the United States. Given that he called Taiwanese democracy “the biggest joke in the world,” it’s surprising his criticism of the U.S., which is commonly viewed as either Taipei’s sponsor or its puppet-master, wasn’t harsher.

Chan’s comments, though widely disparaged on Chinese social media, do reflect a certain strain of anti-Americanism that is particular to some elements of China. Like his criticism of Taiwanese and Hong Kong democracy, it’s as much about defending China. And that defensiveness is often more about internal Chinese doubts about their country’s progress, which has come so far but still has a ways to go. The flip side of Chinese nationalism, which has risen along with China itself, is often a sense of national insecurity.

This aspect of Chinese nationalism has seemed to peak at moments when China comes under more international criticism, as Beijing-based journalist Helen Gao wrote in a great piece about the anti-Japanese protests from this past summer. In many ways, Gao argued, such outbursts are less about lashing out against critics than a manifestation of ”the Chinese public’s struggle to reconcile the frustrating social realities surrounding them with the lofty patriotic ideals they have long internalized.”

Still, you might naturally be wondering how Chan can square his criticism of the United States with his long embrace of the American film market. How, after all, could he spend so much time making movies in “the most corrupt country in the world”? It’s the sort of contradiction that can make Chinese views of the U.S. baffling. I’m reminded of a 2011 Chinese TV documentary about the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, in which a young student beamed that he had been “very happy” about the attacks. He added of Osama bin Laden, “Anyone who quarrels with the Americans is a hero.” When the interviewer asked the Beijinger how he felt about the United States, he said, hardly missing a beat, “I love it. I’m studying in the U.S. soon. If I don’t have to come back, then I won’t come back.”

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that Jackie Chan holds such opinions, or that this is even a particularly common view in China. The young Beijinger’s comments were roundly mocked on Chinese social media precisely because they were so baldly hypocritical. Still, they were an extreme form of a much milder but similarly contradictory Chinese perception of America, one that maybe has echoes in Chan’s condemnation of the country that has helped make him so rich.

Look at it this way: Christian Bale, who famously got himself attacked by Chinese state security officials who kept him from visiting house-arrested dissident Chen Guangcheng, also starred in a popular Chinese film, “The Flowers of War,” about the country’s trauma during the 1937 Nanjing massacre. It probably intuitively makes sense to Americans that a Western movie star would both draw attention to China’s faults while also starring in a Chinese movie that so stoked Chinese nationalism that it was accused of being “propaganda.” (I haven’t seen the movie so can’t comment on that charge.)

The apparent contradiction in Bale’s behavior is consistent with a certain view of China that, right or wrong, is popular in the West: of a great country held back by a repressive government. To the degree that Chan’s comments were anti-American, they likewise reflect a common Chinese view of the United States, one that is rooted not just in attitudes toward America but in China’s proud but sometimes insecure view of itself. In other words, we shouldn’t be too offended.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I definately remember this interview.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 442 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

When I was a kid, my dad used to rent Steven Seagal movies and in every movie he just got fatter and fatter. :lol:

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Postby muddyglass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

if we're including real martial artists who are not film stars, then ip man should be added to that list. ip man popularized wing chun kung fu and taught bruce lee.

here's donnie yen portraying ip man in a fight against 10 black belts:

oh, and you may as well include donnie yen in that list too!
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 am

Michael Jai White seems to know what he's doing. I would NOT wanna fight that dude.

Steven Seagal was one of the first 'westerners' to open a school in the east. He is the real deal, even if he's fat.

Chuck Norris, no kidding aside, as a bonafide bada$$, with his karate and now bjj backround.

I'll name some other JKD and JJ experts: Dan Inosanto, Moses Powell, Paul Vuniak, Rickson Gracie.

and RIP Professor Visitacion and master Bruce Lee as well as a host of unnamed masters who have passed the arts down from generation to generation.

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34 am

Fumio Demura is a very good teacher and a very nice guy, apart from his Hollywood connections, (he did Pat Morita's fights in the Karate Kid movies among other things).

I liked that he didn't treat beginners like they were experts, like so many other teachers do. He was patient and kind. And also was the go to guy for other big names.

Then there's Sonny Chiba. One of the best real martial artists in the movies, along with guys like Lee and Norris and Inosanto or Segeal.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum