Tuesday, September 27, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "The Outhousers of Earth Ugh"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Favorite Song by The Who?

Favorite Who Song?

Baba O'Riley
5
28%
Won't Get Fooled Again
2
11%
Who Are You?
0
No votes
Behind Blue Eyes
3
17%
My Generation
1
6%
I Can't Explain
0
No votes
A Quick One, While He's Away
1
6%
I Can See For Miles
0
No votes
Pinball Wizard
1
6%
Other(please state)
5
28%
  Total votes : 18

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 pm

twoheads wrote:I don't know if you have ever watched Freaks and Geeks, but there's a scene where Lindsay is trying to convince her parents to let her go see The Who, and her parents are listening to the song, the Mom is all giddy and dancing in her seat and the dad is absolutely freaking out. It's hilarious.

"This is a nice song!"
"This is pornographic!"

:-D


I keep meaning to watch that show.
User avatar

billyzoom666

cheese

Postby billyzoom666 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 pm

twoheads wrote:You should try narrowing down all The Who's singles down to 9 choices and 'other.' It was pretty infuriating.


Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

I don't remember that "Freaks and Geeks" episode, although to be fair, it was on the air when I was in college and in a seriously altered state most of the time.
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 pm

billyzoom666 wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

I don't remember that "Freaks and Geeks" episode, although to be fair, it was on the air when I was in college and in a seriously altered state most of the time.


It may not have aired. A lot of them never aired on..NBC? ABC? I think ABC...anyway, they never aired until it was rerun on ABC Family. Pretty much every music cue in the episode is a Who song, and is also the reason it almost never got released on DVD, because The Who basically raped them over the licensing rights.

Fun Fact:Licensing rights are also the reason you will NEVER see either The Wonder Years or Muppet Babies get released on DVD.
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:06 pm

and that ticks me off about Wonder Years. That's a show I always wanted to sit down with my kids and watch. Great stories set in an amazing period of time in our own history.
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:13 pm

starlord wrote:and that ticks me off about Wonder Years. That's a show I always wanted to sit down with my kids and watch. Great stories set in an amazing period of time in our own history.


As it should. I know they released a DVD with like 3 episodes on it a couple years ago, but it had all the original music replaced with cheap knock-offs.

They aired it on Ion here(it's a fledgling network, it may actually already be off the air) for a while, but the transfer was terrible so there were serious problems with the audio and video. Still, it help up well, I'd love to get my hands on a well made DVD of the show, but I really don't see it happening. Even if it did, it may very have to cost $100 a season.
User avatar

billyzoom666

cheese

Postby billyzoom666 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm

twoheads wrote:As it should. I know they released a DVD with like 3 episodes on it a couple years ago, but it had all the original music replaced with cheap knock-offs.

They aired it on Ion here(it's a fledgling network, it may actually already be off the air) for a while, but the transfer was terrible so there were serious problems with the audio and video. Still, it help up well, I'd love to get my hands on a well made DVD of the show, but I really don't see it happening. Even if it did, it may very have to cost $100 a season.


No, Ion's still on, we get it here on digital. They showed Lonesome Dove last weekend, which was pretty sweet.

Didn't the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD get hung up for years because of the licensing rights on the music?
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm

billyzoom666 wrote:No, Ion's still on, we get it here on digital. They showed Lonesome Dove last weekend, which was pretty sweet.

Didn't the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD get hung up for years because of the licensing rights on the music?


Yup, because of The Who, Ironically.

although I mentioned that above

Anyway, I found the aforementioned scene from Freaks and Geeks.

I got the quotes kind of wrong. Oh well, It's still funny as hell. :-D
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:27 pm

twoheads wrote:It may not have aired. A lot of them never aired on..NBC? ABC? I think ABC...anyway, they never aired until it was rerun on ABC Family. Pretty much every music cue in the episode is a Who song, and is also the reason it almost never got released on DVD, because The Who basically raped them over the licensing rights.

Fun Fact:Licensing rights are also the reason you will NEVER see either The Wonder Years or Muppet Babies get released on DVD.


Well,there's always YouTube!
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:28 pm

I think the same went for WKRP as well.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:37 pm

twoheads wrote:Yup, because of The Who, Ironically.

although I mentioned that above

Anyway, I found the aforementioned scene from Freaks and Geeks.

I got the quotes kind of wrong. Oh well, It's still funny as hell. :-D


"In and out and in and OFF is what it's going!" :smt043
User avatar

billyzoom666

cheese

Postby billyzoom666 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 pm

twoheads wrote:Yup, because of The Who, Ironically.

although I mentioned that above



Oh, I thought you meant just that episode wasn't released. Eh, I'm fucked up on cold meds.
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 am

billyzoom666 wrote:Oh, I thought you meant just that episode wasn't released. Eh, I'm fucked up on cold meds.


Yeah, well, The Who were the worst offenders, but pretty much every episode has at least 4-5 songs that they would have had to pay for. From what I remember The Who ended up stretching it out for another year after they had reached an agreement with everyone else. That was a long time ago, so I might be a little off on the time line.
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:43 am

Carrie wrote:"In and out and in and OFF is what it's going!" :smt043


Joe Flaherty as Mr Weir pretty consistently steals whatever seen he's in on that show, and he does it by playing everything as straight as possible.

A montage of Flaherty awesomeness.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:21 am

twoheads wrote:Joe Flaherty as Mr Weir pretty consistently steals whatever seen he's in on that show, and he does it by playing everything as straight as possible.

A montage of Flaherty awesomeness.


Kinda like Red Foreman?
User avatar

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Carrie wrote:Kinda like Red Foreman?


Yeah, but more sweet and less mean.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], BarrySagittarius, Bianco, e_galston, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Johnnie Torch, Supersoldier Washout, The Generic Man and 52 guests