Advertisement

Fried Chicken and BBQ = poverty

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Fried Chicken and BBQ = poverty

Postby habitual » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 pm

According to Colorado State Senator Vicki Marble:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/vicki-marble-poverty-chicken_n_3794679.html

Colorado state Sen. Vicki Marble (R-Fort Collins) caused a stir on Wednesday when she said high poverty rates among blacks and Hispanics are connected to diets that include fried chicken and barbecue.

"When you look at life expectancy, there are problems in the black race," Marble said during a meeting of the legislature's Economic Opportunity Poverty Reduction Task Force. "Sickle-cell anemia is something that comes up. Diabetes is something that's prevalent in the genetic makeup, and you just can't help it. Although I've got to say, I've never had better barbecue and better chicken and ate better in my life than when you go down South and you, I mean, I love it. Everybody loves it."

Marble continued, "The Mexican diet in Mexico with all of the fresh vegetables, and you go down there and they are much thinner than they are up here. They’ve changed their diet. I’ve read studies on that."

Listen to audio of Marble's remarks below, courtesy of The Denver Post.

:lol:

Hab

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Fried Chicken and BBQ = poverty

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

As a white person, I'm glad it's not in my genetic makeup to eat unhealthy food.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Well... doesn't it?
-Bill-

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 pm

I know when I'm trying to eat healthy I go straight for the Mexican food.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1240 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Wait a second...I LOVE BBQ and fried chicken... :shock:

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Grayson wrote:Wait a second...I LOVE BBQ and fried chicken... :shock:

Then you've been ordering of the poors and betas menu, or you're south of the Mason Dixon line according to this Senator.

She loves it as well!

Hab

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 540 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm

It's pretty well documented that people in poverty have very poor diets. They lack the education on what is healthy to eat, and they lack the money to buy fresh produce.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Rockman wrote:It's pretty well documented that people in poverty have very poor diets. They lack the education on what is healthy to eat, and they lack the money to buy fresh produce.

It's also pretty well documented that they are a result, not causation.

Hab

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 228 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm

I sure hope "caused a stir" means "laughed off the podium."

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 pm

habitual wrote:
It's also pretty well documented that they are a result, not causation.

Hab

It is a serious issue for impoverished people. I don't think this woman meant to say that poor diet creates poverty :lol: .

It's easy to laugh at this woman's stupid comments, but there is a serious issue facing people.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Rockman wrote:
It is a serious issue for impoverished people. I don't think this woman meant to say that poor diet creates poverty :lol: .

It's easy to laugh at this woman's stupid comments, but there is a serious issue facing people.

Yeah, I don't think that's the part people take issue with.
We all agree that, in general, poor = poor diet...
It's the part where poor = black or latino that is in dispute, I believe.

And you know, the general "black people love fried chicken" stereotype.
-Bill-

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Obviously in her part of Colorado blacks fry their chicken in oil extracted from only the most expensive whale blubber.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

superfictious wrote:Obviously in her part of Colorado blacks fry their chicken in oil extracted from only the most expensive whale blubber.

Oh they don't have black people in Colorado.
-Bill-

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
Yeah, I don't think that's the part people take issue with.
We all agree that, in general, poor = poor diet...
It's the part where poor = black or latino that is in dispute, I believe.

And you know, the general "black people love fried chicken" stereotype.

I know

It's just the most attention most folks will give the issue now is that some lady made a racist remark in regards to the issue. It's a complete distraction from the issue. People aren't serious about this stuff, they just want a chance to be superior to someone else.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Rockman wrote:

I agree completely with the second part of what you're saying, but with the rising food prices meat is even getting too expensive:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/14/congressman-sandy-levin-learns-to-live-on-3150-a-week-food-stamp

15-term congressman Sandy Levin has just a $31.50 budget for provisions this week.

Tuna in oil, crunchy peanut butter, sharp cheddar cheese and a single box of raisin bran cereal accounted for more than half of Rep. Sandy Levin's, D-Mich., grocery bill this week.

As I stood in the kitchen with him Friday, his meal wasn't what you'd expect a ranking member of the Ways and Means committee to feast on.

[CHARTS: The Fast-Growing Costs of Good Food]

The 15-term congressman ordinarily fixes "excellent chicken soup" for lunch in his Longworth office kitchenette, but with just a $31.50 budget for provisions this week, white bread spread with just a small bit of crunchy peanut butter has to sustain him until dinner when he'll prepare pasta with tuna and grated cheese. It's raisin bran for breakfast. And if he gets hungry in the off hours, more bread, but with a little olive spread.

As he prepares his humble lunch, I ask the 81-year-old congressman if he is getting enough to eat. 'Are you hungry?,' I ask. Looking up from his small glass of milk, he immediately responds 'yes, especially at night.'

Even over the weekend, when he'll attend a family dinner and a wedding, Levin says he'll be bringing along his tuna pasta.

It's all part of a protest Levin is making, along with more than two dozen colleagues called the "Food Stamp Challenge."

As the House of Representatives prepares to debate a farm bill that would slash $20.5 billion to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, a handful of Democrats are living on $31.50, the average weekly benefit of a food stamp recipient, in hopes it might stop Republicans from voting for the cuts.

[OPINION: A Food Stamp Fight the Poor Will Lose]

Levin says feeling the hunger of some of the constituents back home also puts the fire in his belly to keep up the fight.

"I met a woman in a wheelchair a couple of weeks ago in Michigan. She is on food stamps and many weekends she runs out of food so then she lives on bread alone," Levin says. "Does that motivate me? Surely. You have to try to get in the shoes of people and feel what it is like to be hungry."

Levin has a long history working on food access issues. He was one of the main sponsors of the FORK Act, a bill that included a provision to spend $10 million to educate poor Americans on how to access food stamps. Levin also sponsored a bill that allows restaurants and hospitals that donate food to food banks, to get a tax deduction so it is no longer cheaper to just throw the food away.

The food stamp reductions in the House farm bill would leave 1.8 million families ineligible for the SNAP program and curtail spending on school meal programs.

But for Republicans, the cuts represent a step toward curbing the country's debt byreigning in out-of-control government spending and trimming a rapidly-expanding food nutrition program that more than 48 million Americans are enrolled in.

[READ: The Farm Bill Food Fight Over Food Stamps]

Even the Democratic Senate's farm bill made $4 billion in cuts to food stamps. However, Levin says the House bill goes too far.

"I think it is a rigidity. It is kind of an ideology conquering reality," he says. "The reality is that there are some real needs there and all programs need to be looked at to make sure they are effective. But that is not accomplished by pardon the pun, a meat ax. And they are not axing very much meat. They are axing peanut butter and pasta."

Levin says one of the things he has discovered is that luxuries like chicken, beef and produce are simply too expensive for such a restricted budget.

"One of my colleagues bought some turkey and when he cooked it, it shrunk to a little turkey ball," Levin says.

Levin says that while he is hungry and he misses fruit, the hardest part about the food stamp challenge is that next Wednesday, when he'll throw an ice cream social for his interns and celebrate making it through the week, families who rely on the program will continue to go without.

"It's difficult, but what makes it even more difficult is I look forward to next Wednesday," Levin says. "I am counting the days. That just highlighted for me, what if I had to do it next week and the week after? How do you do this week after week. I just don't know.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum