Advertisement

From Hell: The movie--Your opinions?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10369
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


From Hell: The movie--Your opinions?

Postby superfictious » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I have to say I really enjoyed it. Where's the hate from?

Advertisement

rdrsfn82
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Reno, NV


Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 pm

I've never read the book and I enjoyed it. Maybe it's a thing where you can't enjoy it if you compare it to a superior book.
Image

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10369
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I've never read the book and I enjoyed it. Maybe it's a thing where you can't enjoy it if you compare it to a superior book.


That's what I'm thinking. I can understand the reasoning, but Depp alone forgives any other sins.

CountD
User avatar
Undead Member
 
Posts: 35569
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine


Postby CountD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 pm

I hat4d that movie. Johnny Depp could not save it.

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10369
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 pm

CountD wrote:I hat4d that movie. Johnny Depp could not save it.


You've wounded me, Grundyman. :(

CountD
User avatar
Undead Member
 
Posts: 35569
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine


Postby CountD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:30 pm

It wasn't all bad, it was just plainly average.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39578
Likes: 122 posts
Liked in: 191 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Postby Keb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 pm

BK have you read the book?

I think it's the fact that the movie deviates from the book so much, and considering the amount of work both Moore and Campbell put into it, it kind of makes the movie look stupid.

I think it's mostly the love story, the incorrect portrayal of Abberline, the fact that it was poorly adapted and also the fact that it's a murder mystery and not a meditation on the methods of a serial killer as it was originally intended that make the book awful.

Ian Holm is pretty awesome in it though.
SHABBA!

C20Percent
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6271
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm


Postby C20Percent » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm

I just don't want to watch or read another murder mystery that has all been perpetrated by the Free Masons. That's just a lame resolution. The only enjoyment I got out of this movie is the next day at worked I hounded a Mason member about Jack The Ripper.

Shady
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2038
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:16 am


Postby Shady » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 pm

CountD wrote:It wasn't all bad, it was just plainly average.


The movie was okay but easily forgettable

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10369
Likes: 78 posts
Liked in: 158 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Nope, never read the graphic novel. I can see why that might taint the opinion of the movie. However, I'll admit I found LoEG to be a fun action flick even though the source material was far superior.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39578
Likes: 122 posts
Liked in: 191 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Postby Keb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Shady wrote:The movie was okay but easily forgettable
Read the book!!

If my professor didn't have it, I would lend you my copy.
SHABBA!

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39578
Likes: 122 posts
Liked in: 191 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Postby Keb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Nope, never read the graphic novel. I can see why that might taint the opinion of the movie. However, I'll admit I found LoEG to be a fun action flick even though the source material was far superior.
As an "Alan Moore Enthusiast", I think it really destroys my opinion of the movie. It's really just about reading the appendix and see how much research and reading Moore did in constructing it, as well as the number of people put into the story and the amount of effort in making it work. To me, it seems like the guys who did the movie read the comic, thought it was cool and wrote a summer fun flick to make money off of it.

But then again, it's tied with Promethea as my favourite Alan Moore work so my opinion might be slightly biased...
SHABBA!

Shady
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 2038
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:16 am


Postby Shady » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Keb wrote:Read the book!!

If my professor didn't have it, I would lend you my copy.


True, to be fair it seems better as a book, like you say, or the graphic novel. The only reason i got it on dvd was b/c it was cheap.

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:49 pm

I read the book and have no interest in seeing the movie. Or, at least, paying to see the movie. If I were bored and I could borrow it, maybe.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39578
Likes: 122 posts
Liked in: 191 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Postby Keb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Shady wrote:True, to be fair it seems better as a book, like you say, or the graphic novel. The only reason i got it on dvd was b/c it was cheap.
Same, hooray for used cd/dvd stores! (except the one by my house shut down boo @ people who are too stupid and shop at HMV).
SHABBA!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN NewsBlogs and 53 guests

Advertisement