Advertisement

Galactica Log

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

cyphon
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby cyphon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Strict31 wrote:Who really created the cylons if the 13th Tribe were Cylons who predated the mechanical cylons created by the Colonials. This ties into the whole "this has happened before" bullshit.

What is the cylon God. Is it real? Is it some nebulously mystical force that, in true OMD fashion exists because "It's magic, bitch?" Or was it just something that squeezed of deus ex machinas like cleveland steamers?

How did the song just happen to hold the actual coordinates for Earth. Which apparently was a Psuedo-Earth that no one knew about except daniel. And why was it something that activated the Five. Another deus ex machina.

These are questions they seeded the series with the intentionally generate and build interest in the show. With the end of the series, we find out they were nothing more than that. They were important points in the plot that were intended to develop the story. They were just candies to get us to open our mouths long enough for a cock to be rammed in. And no one has spit that cock out because it apparently tastes like apple-flavored jolly ranchers.

I think in the end, there is only one god. Montheism rather than the polytheism of the colonies. And whatever that god is, it's part of the cycle as well. Maybe its just part of the programming of the universe, a la the Matrix (and I cant believe I just referenced that piece of crap).

I don't see the importance of Daniel, or how he knew about our Earth, or does this involve extra stuff that wasn't explicitly in the shows?

Advertisement

TerriG
Twenty-Something

Postby TerriG » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:12 pm

All I know is that we're FRAKKED eventually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7947189.stm

THEY'RE GONNA BUILD A BOOMER.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 pm

cyphon wrote:I think in the end, there is only one god. Montheism rather than the polytheism of the colonies. And whatever that god is, it's part of the cycle as well. Maybe its just part of the programming of the universe, a la the Matrix (and I cant believe I just referenced that piece of crap).

I don't see the importance of Daniel, or how he knew about our Earth, or does this involve extra stuff that wasn't explicitly in the shows?

Well...I dunno...I mean, God usually doesn't send foul mouthed blonde chicks down to save humanity and so forth. So, since Stabuck constituted a major deus ex, it would have been nice to know exactly what was up with her. I mean, since they made a big...frakkin deal about her death, rebirth and knowledge of where earth was.

And since that knowledge was (eventually) derived from a song that was a major plot point, it also would have been nice to know that this was not just something randomly pulled out of someone's ass during a brainstrom session to try and figure how to wrap this story up.

I mean, we already know from RDM's own words that he never intended daniel to be important, so they didn't give any thought to him. But this leaves blank any answers for how Psuedo-earth's location was programmed into the notes of a song Daniel apparently composed.

That's one of those Wizard of Oz moments.

Don't get me wrong, they did a great job at character portrayals. But I think that's really all they focused on, to the exclusion of telling a coherent story.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:15 pm

TerriG wrote:All I know is that we're FRAKKED eventually.

Needs a bigger rack, IMO.

And the robot's kinda skinny too. :wink:

TerriG
Twenty-Something

Postby TerriG » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Strict31 wrote:Well...I dunno...I mean, God usually doesn't send foul mouthed blonde chicks down to save humanity and so forth. So, since Stabuck constituted a major deus ex, it would have been nice to know exactly what was up with her. I mean, since they made a big...frakkin deal about her death, rebirth and knowledge of where earth was.

And since that knowledge was (eventually) derived from a song that was a major plot point, it also would have been nice to know that this was not just something randomly pulled out of someone's ass during a brainstrom session to try and figure how to wrap this story up.

I mean, we already know from RDM's own words that he never intended daniel to be important, so they didn't give any thought to him. But this leaves blank any answers for how Psuedo-earth's location was programmed into the notes of a song Daniel apparently composed.

Don't get me wrong, they did a great job at character portrayals. But I think that's really all they focused on, to the exclusion of telling a coherent story.

Watchtower was also used in the Watchmen movie. All this has happened before? Will there be blue dongle in the future?

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:18 pm

TerriG wrote:Watchtower was also used in the Watchmen movie. All this has happened before? Will there be blue dongle in the future?

it will likely be apple-flavored.

cyphon
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cyphon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Strict31 wrote:Well...I dunno...I mean, God usually doesn't send foul mouthed blonde chicks down to save humanity and so forth. So, since Stabuck constituted a major deus ex, it would have been nice to know exactly what was up with her. I mean, since they made a big...frakkin deal about her death, rebirth and knowledge of where earth was.

Where did it say that Daniel wrote the song?

I think you could easily make the argument (within the scifi context) that the song might just be a genetic marker encoded into select beings. All part of the greater plan.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 pm

cyphon wrote:Where did it say that Daniel wrote the song?

I think you could easily make the argument (within the scifi context) that the song might just be a genetic marker encoded into select beings. All part of the greater plan.

So Bob Dylan is a Cylon? :smt016

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

cyphon
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cyphon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:35 pm

The Nacireman wrote:So Bob Dylan is a Cylon? :smt016

I believe that's the only logical conclusion. Yes.

:D

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:48 pm

cyphon wrote:Where did it say that Daniel wrote the song?

Well, on the one hand you do raise a point; Sam was playing that song presumably a couple thousand years before Daniel was created. I forgot that.

But just as clearly, no one knew anything about Pseudo-Earth. They didn't even know of its existence.

So the song still just mystically led them there. "It's magic, Joe. We don't have to explain it."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 am

TerriG wrote:All I know is that we're FRAKKED eventually.

HELL-O..... Image

cyphon
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cyphon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:07 am

Strict31 wrote:Well, on the one hand you do raise a point; Sam was playing that song presumably a couple thousand years before Daniel was created. I forgot that.

But just as clearly, no one knew anything about Pseudo-Earth. They didn't even know of its existence.

So the song still just mystically led them there. "It's magic, Joe. We don't have to explain it."

That's certainly a reasonable interpretation. But like I said, it could just be something that's part of us genetically. Or of certain people. Just something that's there, but doesn't turn on for most people. Hence, it only being meaningful for Hera, Starbuck and the original cylons.

And it likely, in this context, predates the Final 5 by millenia.

cyphon
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cyphon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 am

sdsichero wrote:HELL-O..... Image

I wouldn't mind kissing her shiny metal ass :D

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:32 am

cyphon wrote:That's certainly a reasonable interpretation. But like I said, it could just be something that's part of us genetically. Or of certain people. Just something that's there, but doesn't turn on for most people. Hence, it only being meaningful for Hera, Starbuck and the original cylons.

And it likely, in this context, predates the Final 5 by millenia.

Since people do not have songs genetically encoded into them naturally, it follows that someone must have done it through less than natural means. For a less than natural purpose.

And without any examination into that on the parts of the writers, we are left to conclude nothing more than "just because".

But again, it seems apparent at this point that the original Lords of Kobol could not have come from the earth inhabited by the audience. So, we have a song that acts as a guide to a planet no one has ever been to. Created by someone who may or may not have predated the Five. For whom it was an important plot device.

Getting to Earth has been a major focus of the show. Starbuck's destiny has been a major focus of the past season.

These things, despite their importance to the plot, are left to twist in the wind.

Again, great character writing and great acting, but aside from that and some killer SFX, there's not much thought put into the storyline.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:46 am

A minor question:

when Adama is taking the lie detector test,, they ask if he's a cylon. Okay, so, is that like, establishing a baseline or whatever the terminology is? The dialogue the examiner gave didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

But I thought, it couldn't be anything else because they didn't know about Skin jobs back then, did they?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum