Advertisement

Galactica Log

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TerriG
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby TerriG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:45 am

BK wrote:As a standalone episode, it was pretty entertaining

Funny, my dad only watched the miniseries and the finale. He wasn't interested in all the drama in between because he thought it was too convoluted, but he did like the finale. His comment was that at least it had some sci-fi to it (he still swears the show was directly ripped off Space Above and Beyond which I have to agree some elements are). But he shut it off when they were talking on Earth at the end lol.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:48 am

Strict31 wrote:Bender, I couldn't even finish that. Not because it was too long, but because it was just frustrating to read their explanations and shit.

There were already humans on the fucking planet, for fuck's sake. They were sufficiently modern enough that they were genetically compatible with humans. They walked upright.

Modern humans had already evolved on the planet.

Angel-Baltar and Angel-Six saying Hera was Eve is just so much horseshit. Hera would need a jaw that's a hell of a lot more prominent to be genetic-Eve.

And the song...I guess this eternal, divine composition just fell right the fuck out of the consciousness of man for 150,000 years and only showed up again when Bob Dylan thought he was writing it.

I mean, I get that there's fiction in the whole concept of Sci-Fi, but does it need to make the science look quite so stupid?

Eh...whatever. I hope RDM puts a little bit more thought into his The Thing prequel than "God did it, bitches."

You do realize that the original series was created as a result of Erich von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods?

Hab

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:54 am

habitual wrote:You do realize that the original series was created as a result of Erich von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods?

Hab

And the original series made no pretense of being a deep and realistic portrayal of human beings reacting to catacylsmic upheaval. From the very beginning of the original show, they were focused on high action and sci-fi absurdity. They spoke of mystical powers and wild aliens (the original cylons were reptilian aliens who made robots to serve them) as par for the fucking course. One epsiode guest starred the fucking devil. The actual fucking devil.

Conversely, RDM always went to great lengths to say that he wanted his series to be much more grounded in reality.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:55 am

TerriG wrote:Funny, my dad only watched the miniseries and the finale. He wasn't interested in all the drama in between because he thought it was too convoluted, but he did like the finale. His comment was that at least it had some sci-fi to it (he still swears the show was directly ripped off Space Above and Beyond which I have to agree some elements are). But he shut it off when they were talking on Earth at the end lol.

That would have been a good place to end it, right after they pan away from Adama sitting by Ros's grave. Perfect place for the credits to roll.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Strict31 wrote:And the original series made no pretense of being a deep and realistic portrayal of human beings reacting to catacylsmic upheaval. From the very beginning of the original show, they were focused on high action and sci-fi absurdity. They spoke of mystical powers and wild aliens (the original cylons were reptilian aliens who made robots to serve them) as par for the fucking course. One epsiode guest starred the fucking devil. The actual fucking devil.

Conversely, RDM always went to great lengths to say that he wanted his series to be much more grounded in reality.

All I know is that this whole ending has got to be a huge mind fuck for Sarah Palin.
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Well Done, RDM! Bravo!!

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Nightfly wrote:Remarkably satisfying finale. Probably the most satisfying since All Good Things.

I regret not having enough faith in RDM to've added a more than satisfied option to my poll (about expected satisfaction levels).

Based on the strength of the finale I think I'll be giving Caprica a chance afterall.

10/10

Man, I don't get you. Like.. at all.

You complain about LOST, saying they're not giving answers.

Yet you give the BSG finale a 10, when it.. didn't give very many answers. Or make much coherent sense.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Chris wrote:Man, I don't get you. Like.. at all.

Yet you give the BSG finale a 10, when it.. didn't give very many answers. Or make much coherent sense.

You sound awfully critical of it. I thought you loved BSG? :?
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Benderbrau wrote:You sound awfully critical of it. I thought you loved BSG? :?

I did. This season has really soured me on it.

It peaked with the New Caprica arc for me, and it's been downhill ever since. Even the first half of this season had way too much filler, and the pacing of this season was just atrocious.

This finale tried to cover it's bad writing with playing off our emotions, and trying to use sentimentality to mask the lack of any actual answers given for some huge ass questions.

Yay for them, they found Earth, everyone is happy, people died and shit.. I enjoyed it as a standalone two hours.. but it did nothing for me as a series finale.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Nightfly » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Chris wrote:Man, I don't get you. Like.. at all.

My enjoyment of stories usually comes down to the characters over plotting.
Plot heavy riddle-pictures & caper flix just aren't my bag [most of the time].

I understand some folks were keeping notebooks full of questions about BSG & are still doing so for Lost but, again, that's just not how I roll.

For me personally, I never had too much trouble following the motivations & emotions of the various characters on BSG.
I thought, as Anders might put it, the BSG finale was "perfect". Which is why I gave it a perfect score -- just as you Losties routinely give individual Lost epis perfect scores.

I honestly struggle to follow the individual motivations of most of those characters due to a critical lack of information --- Ideally all them seasons of flashbacks woulda covered that lack of info but instead they seemed to just use each & every opportunity (including the flashbacks) to create new questions instead of using the time to let us get a fuller grasp of who they are & what they want.

I usually guage characters by what they want. Besides Locke, Ben and a couple others I seriously can't get a grip on what most of the Lost characters want (outside of being rescued... ...although even that is obviously up in the air now).

I have no frickin clue what part Jeff Fahey's character has to play in the drama - beyond the obvious [pilot] - but because I dig his past works I'm always happy to see him get screentime. Sadly, that's what Lost is to me - highly budgeted "screentime" for some of my favorite genre actors. They may as well be reading the phonebook in front of an ILM bluescreen for all I can make of half the shit that goes down on Lost.

Although, Sayid & Sawyer are a couple wildcards I've come to appreciate...

Lemme ask you this; considering what Lost has been & been about... do you think its finale will end w/ the answer or yet another question? Would you want to have to bet the farm on it?
I seriously wonder. :wink:
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 938 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:10 pm

habitual wrote:You do realize that the original series was created as a result of Erich von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods?

Hab

And Mormon scriptures.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Nightfly wrote:Lemme ask you this; considering what Lost has been & been about... do you think its finale will end w/ the answer or yet another question? Would you want to have to bet the farm on it?
I seriously wonder. :wink:

I don't know. But considering the amount of answers they've been giving since the start of Season 4, I'd bet that they'll answer 99% of the big questions.

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby D » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Chris wrote: any actual answers given for some huge ass questions.

What are those again?

And do you expect LOST to wrap everything up and put a bow on it?
Dragon

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:15 pm

The journey is always more enjoyable than actually arriving.

This is why the resolution to any long-running mysteries will always disappoint.

No matter what the smoke monster ends up being, it won't be as good as whatever we've had percolating in our heads for 6 years.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 pm

Punchy wrote:The journey is always more enjoyable than actually arriving.

Anyone who believes that has never driven the 401 from Windsor to Toronto.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:And Mormon scriptures.

So where was the polygamy?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum