Advertisement

Game of Thrones Season 3

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:57 pm

For the most part, I really enjoyed this season's finale. That being said, I was completely underwhelmed by the last 5 minutes. It's no secret that I don't like Daenerys but having this weird, Coca-Cola commercial-like scene where everybody's happy and lifting their new savior into the air really ruined the mood that was created by the rest of the episode and the season in general. Once again, I am left wondering when Daenerys is actually going to have to face some type of difficulty on her journey. She wants something, she gets it without taking the time to consider the consequences, and to me it's gotten unbearable. Eventually these people are going to need to realize that, yes, she has freed them but she really has no idea how to take care of them or what she is doing. Is she just going to leave them when she sails across the seas to Westeros or is she going to take them with her so that they can starve and be slaughtered along the way? :smt102

Anyways, like I said, for the most part I enjoyed this episode. Charles Dance never fails to deliver a spectacular performance as Tywin Lannister and in this episode, he clearly reminds everyone who the real power in Westeros really is. I would like to believe that there was quite a lot of cheering across the viewing audience when Tywin dealt with Joffrey, proving that even a king can be put in his place. I would have liked to see more of Jaime's return to King's Landing, his arc this season has been so good and his character development was so interesting, that it seems a shame for him to have done so little in the finale.

It was also refreshing to see somebody in the south finally take interest in what is happening north of the Wall. I can't wait to see what Davos and Stannis will do now that they understand that there are more important matters to worry about than some little brat on a throne that doesn't belong to him.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm

We should have a Ser Loras fan club here...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Arion wrote:We should have a Ser Loras fan club here...

Loras is an idiot. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Grayson wrote:For the most part, I really enjoyed this season's finale. That being said, I was completely underwhelmed by the last 5 minutes. It's no secret that I don't like Daenerys but having this weird, Coca-Cola commercial-like scene where everybody's happy and lifting their new savior into the air really ruined the mood that was created by the rest of the episode and the season in general. Once again, I am left wondering when Daenerys is actually going to have to face some type of difficulty on her journey. She wants something, she gets it without taking the time to consider the consequences, and to me it's gotten unbearable. Eventually these people are going to need to realize that, yes, she has freed them but she really has no idea how to take care of them or what she is doing. Is she just going to leave them when she sails across the seas to Westeros or is she going to take them with her so that they can starve and be slaughtered along the way? :smt102

Have you read the books? No spoilers, but Dany does face some pretty big troubles in Book 5.

Grayson

Happy Pony Day!

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Punchy wrote:Have you read the books? No spoilers, but Dany does face some pretty big troubles in Book 5.

No, I haven't read the books yet but I did just pick up the first book and read a little bit of it this weekend, so I'll probably get there eventually. I have noticed that most of the people who I talk to about the show that haven't read the books tend to agree with me about Daenerys while those who have read the books tend to disagree with me. I would assume that a lot of that has to do with how she is portrayed on the show vs. how she is portrayed in the book. Don't get me wrong, Emilia Clarke is a lovely woman but she hasn't really played Daenerys as a very sympathetic character so far what with all her eye rolls and indignant speeches. She just comes off as very entitled and brattish to me.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Grayson wrote:
No, I haven't read the books yet but I did just pick up the first book and read a little bit of it this weekend, so I'll probably get there eventually. I have noticed that most of the people who I talk to about the show that haven't read the books tend to agree with me about Daenerys while those who have read the books tend to disagree with me. I would assume that a lot of that has to do with how she is portrayed on the show vs. how she is portrayed in the book. Don't get me wrong, Emilia Clarke is a lovely woman but she hasn't really played Daenerys as a very sympathetic character so far what with all her eye rolls and indignant speeches. She just comes off as very entitled and brattish to me.

I suppose in the books you get her interior monologue, which gives her more depth. In the show, you only see the surface, where she has to project an image of an conquering queen. In her head, she's still not sure what she's doing.

It's one of those differences between books and films.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm glad Arya finally got to kill somebody.

Jon Snow is dumb as a plank. Or a pin cushion.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I'm glad Arya finally got to kill somebody.

She killed a stableboy back in Season 1, but that was by accident I suppose.

She was excellent in that scene, really creepy.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Punchy wrote:
She killed a stableboy back in Season 1, but that was by accident I suppose.

She was excellent in that scene, really creepy.

Yeah, why she said the first "man" she'd killed. That was an accident, he practically stabbed himself. But after everything she's been through and seen since then, it must have been quite cathartic for her.

She's a talented young actress, for sure.

Grayson

Happy Pony Day!

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I'm glad Arya finally got to kill somebody.

Arya's journey has been one of the most interesting for me and she is consistently one of my favorite characters on the show. When Arya gets a little older and has some more training, she is going to be a force in and of herself in Westeros. Can't wait to really see her start working her way through her "list."

Jon Snow is dumb as a plank. Or a pin cushion.

Jon Snow knows nothing and Ygritte proved it by literally turning him into a pin cushion. I still can't believe he left her behind last week and I knew that there was going to be some consequences to that decision but damn, I didn't expect that.
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Davos is pretty awesome, I'm glad he didn't get killed for what he did. Always want to call him Davros.

Wish we could have seen Cersei's reaction to Jaime's condition, to see if she had pity or even love for him as broken as he is.

I find the torture scenes hard to watch.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Okay, just got to the end, I see your point, Grayson. I actually like Danaerys just fine but am not a big fan of the ending. Also, the musical scores are usually spot on, but the music at the end was way too Lion King-y.

Grayson

Happy Pony Day!

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Davos is pretty awesome, I'm glad he didn't get killed for what he did. Always want to call him Davros.

Davos is another one of my favorite characters and I agree that I am glad he didn't get killed. He has been extremely lucky so far and I hope that that trend continues. I really wish that the episode would have just ended with Davos and Melisandre convincing Stannis to go North instead of continuing his quest for power. It was a powerful scene with Davos escaping death once again with the aide of the person who he has been against for so long. That right there should tell everyone just how unimportant everything else is right now.

Wish we could have seen Cersei's reaction to Jaime's condition, to see if she had pity or even love for him as broken as he is.

I don't know if the scene was just filmed the way it was to add suspense and a sense of longing to their reunion or if there really was a level of hesitation on Cersei's part. One would think that a character as hopelessly in love with her brother as Cersei is would have ran to him when she saw him standing in the doorway. Instead, she just sat there. I certainly think that Cersei is cruel enough to turn Jaime away for not being what she considers to be "whole" but unfortunately we will have to wait until next year to find out.

I find the torture scenes hard to watch.

Agreed. :-(

Okay, just got to the end, I see your point, Grayson. I actually like Danaerys just fine but am not a big fan of the ending. Also, the musical scores are usually spot on, but the music at the end was way too Lion King-y.

Right? It just didn't really mesh well with the rest of the episode. Almost like they got to that point, realized that they had around 5 minutes left and hastily tossed that scene together to fill the time.
ImageImageImage

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 559 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm

In the books at this point they talk about how all the people Dany "saved" are eating up all her food, and if it continues she won't be able to feed her army anymore. As a book reader I'm glad they left it out, but I can see why people who never read the book would feel that it was too easy.

Thing is, season 1, things weren't easy for her. Remember her eating a horse heart, and being forced into marriage with a savage, and being abused by her brother. Or last season which was nothing but failure? Things are going well for her for now, but after 2 straight seasons of failure.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 559 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Also in the books

and I could be wrong here

but the reunion between Cersei and Jamie as I remember it was a moment of carnal passion in a church, kinda of disgusting. I'll take this thank you.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum