Wednesday, October 18, 2017 • Evening Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Game of Thrones Season 3

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're complaints are literally like opening a book in the store, turning to a random chapter, reading that chapter completely disconnected from the larger narrative, and judging the entire series by a single chapter.

Why even come into this thread to declare your dislike of something you have no knowledge about unless you're trolling.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Holy crap, to be perfectly honest, I think that I am still recovering from the episode. So much happened!

First of all, I love Arya. She is one of my favorite characters in the series so far but after "The Rains of Castamere," I am starting to view her as a little bit of a bad luck charm. Bad shit happens to people who are around her long enough. However, I feel horrible for her. She watched her own father get beheaded and then after months (years?) of wandering the countryside from one near death experience to another, she finally finds her way back to her brother and mother just in time for them to be brutally murdered. I can't wait to see where her story goes and how she continues to develop as a character but man, I just want to give her a hug and tell her that everything to going to be ok. That girl just can not catch a break! :-(

Next, I'm a little pissed at Jon Snow. Granted, he was in the middle of a life or death situation but Ygritte obviously chose to stand by him and he just left her there in the dirt. There was a lot going on in this scene, so I am not exactly sure how many more Wildlings were around at the time but it seems like Jon and the Wolves dispatched most of them. He probably could have assessed the situation a little better and not ran away. In this situation, I feel bad for Ygritte but I hope that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Once again, I am underwhelmed by the plot involving Daenerys and company. Another city falls to her growing army and again Daenerys gets what she wants with little resistance. I am actually looking forward to a time when Daenerys encounters a real army who will not just lay down their spears for her promises and threats. I get what they are trying to do here but I just don't think that Emilia Clarke is playing Daenerys as a very sympathetic character. Nothing about her makes me want to root for her.

Finally, the infamous "Red Wedding" has arrived. I've mentioned before that I haven't read the books but a few of my friends have and they have mentioned more than once that a red wedding was coming and that it was going to be awesome. I don't know that I would use the word "awesome" exactly but it sure as hell was riveting. Going in to this episode, we knew that Walder Frey was not going to just sit back and take Robb Stark's broken promise to marry one of his daughters lightly. We knew that some type of retribution was coming but man, I don't think that those of us who haven't read the books expected what actually happened in this episode. In just a few short moments, Walder Frey completely changed the momentum of everything that is happening in Westeros. I am so intrigued by what will happen next that I am actually worried that next week's season finale won't be enough to tide me over until next year.

Kat_Rocha

Whale Castrato

Postby Kat_Rocha » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Absolutely amazing episode. Though I'm only just reading book 2, I found it brilliant how so many pieces came together for this moment.
I believe somebody already said this, as long as Rob was trying to be a noble as Ned, he had people to support him. The second his was dishonorable, it was his downfall.
I honestly think it should have died a long time ago, but it was that honor that kept him alive.

-Kat

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:48 pm

pastajoe wrote:
Thrones had more funny lines than Veep. C'mon man, have some higher standards.

If the signature episode doesn't pull you in, then the other episodes wouldn't either. I found some of the characters whiney and unsympathetic. Seeing more of them wouldn't change that. If you want to see a good period show, check out Vikings on History channel.

I enjoy Vikings for what it is but that's just a silly statement, they're not even in the same league. You don't like the show, that's fine. Start at the beginning or read the books or just stop posting in this thread for no apparent reason.

You are right about Veep though, they try too hard to be funny and it's just not.

pastajoe

Hopscotch

Postby pastajoe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Regulator wrote:I enjoy Vikings for what it is but that's just a silly statement, they're not even in the same league. You don't like the show, that's fine. Start at the beginning or read the books or just stop posting in this thread for no apparent reason.

You are right about Veep though, they try too hard to be funny and it's just not.

I agree that Thrones is not in Vikings league. Vikings is based on historical facts but still entertaining, without the need for kid Beastmaster or little dragons to pull in the World of Warcraft crowd. I've seen reference to a dwarf on the show that is some leader, but realistically in that time in history he would have been forced to be a court jester.

But that's why Burger King makes it your way. I'll stop offering my opinion if it's too harse for some to read.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 pm

pastajoe wrote:I agree that Thrones is not in Vikings league. Vikings is based on historical facts but still entertaining, without the need for kid Beastmaster or little dragons to pull in the World of Warcraft crowd. I've seen reference to a dwarf on the show that is some leader, but realistically in that time in history he would have been forced to be a court jester.

Game of Thrones isn't set on Earth, so a dwarf doesn't necessarily have to be a court jester in this world. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the "dwarf" in question is actually Tyrion Lannister played wonderfully by Peter Dinklage. A lot of the power and influence that Tyrion has is a direct result of the family that he was born into, however, he is still treated pretty poorly by most of his family and looked down upon (no pun intended) by others. Everything that he has gained on his own is actually a testament to how intelligent and savvy he actually is.

But that's why Burger King makes it your way. I'll stop offering my opinion if it's too harse for some to read.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. You didn't like the show, you saw a thread about it, and you came in to express your opinion. It might not be the popular opinion but I don't see how it is trolling, especially since you're not being exceedingly rude about it. I would urge you to try watching a couple of episodes of the show from the beginning in order to get a better feel for it but if it's not your cup of tea there's nothing wrong with that. :smt102

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:50 pm

If your opinion was more than ignorant rubbish then I would be more than happy to discuss the show and it's failing with you.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:54 pm

It's trolling because no rational person could realistically expect to get an accurate opinion of a highly serialized show like this based on a single episode near the end of its third season. You know well past the point of establishing most of the main characters, with 27 hours of character development and plot development completely ignored, so that he could come in here and express his now suddenly "informed" opinion.

I mean seriously it's not realistic for Tyrion to have a position of power because he's a dwarf? This is a central part of his character and his struggle, and to just dismiss it because it doesn't fit into his view that the show must take place in a 100% medieval setting is completely retarded.

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:57 pm

begeeus how am I supposed to go to work after that?
And wtf? Who do I root for now? Pretty much the only 'good guys' in this story are deader than disco, or a cripple, or dammit I don't know what to feel.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Root for Dany, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, Jaimie, Sansa or Jon?

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Rockman wrote:Root for Dany, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, Jaimie, Sansa or Jon?

well some of them I guess... but geez, wtf? King's don't have body guards?

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Rockman wrote:It's trolling because no rational person could realistically expect to get an accurate opinion of a highly serialized show like this based on a single episode near the end of its third season. You know well past the point of establishing most of the main characters, with 27 hours of character development and plot development completely ignored, so that he could come in here and express his now suddenly "informed" opinion.

I mean seriously it's not realistic for Tyrion to have a position of power because he's a dwarf? This is a central part of his character and his struggle, and to just dismiss it because it doesn't fit into his view that the show must take place in a 100% medieval setting is completely retarded.

According to what he said, this was the first episode of Game of Thrones that he watched. Ever since the show premiered on HBO it has received a lot of buzz and has been talked about all over the place from other television shows, the magazines, and all over the internet. Like I said, he probably watched the show, didn't understand what all the buzz was about, and came here to a thread about the show to express his opinion about it. He isn't really wrong about the characters, a lot of the characters really are whiny and unsympathetic. It might not have been stated the way that you like it but it was his opinion about it.

It's not like he came in here and said that we were all idiots or that our opinions didn't matter because we like the show. Again, I just don't think that he has been overly rude about sharing his opinion. :smt102

Root for Dany

:smt013

NO! :smt011 :P

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm

pastajoe wrote:
I agree that Thrones is not in Vikings league. Vikings is based on historical facts but still entertaining, without the need for kid Beastmaster or little dragons to pull in the World of Warcraft crowd. I've seen reference to a dwarf on the show that is some leader, but realistically in that time in history he would have been forced to be a court jester.

.... did somebody give draco this guy's password?

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Sure Rickon is a little whiny, he's a four year old boy who is being forced to leave the only family he believes he has left to go somewhere he has never been.

And Bran has cause to be as well, seeing as how he was crippled, his father killed, he was betrayed by a man who was like a brother to him, and he just used his scary powers to force a human being to go to sleep.

All of these things make sense to people who have actually watched the program in question.

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Zechs wrote:

Me neither. When I first read it I was like WTF?! But then I realized Robb while a great warrior/general was a dope when it came to politics of the land. He sealed his fate in Book 2. There was no way the action he took would bite him in the ass and it did without any mercy.

The only death or is it DEATHS? or is it death? The event that will happen next season truly shocked me. I can't wait to see it acted on screen

He made a tactical mistake but the price he paid was WAY out of all proportion. I don't think that makes him a dope. He's living in an unfair world, which is the whole point. If you try looking at it from the character's point of view given his epistemic state - that is only knowing what he could realistically know and bearing in mind that he is not aware of much of the information that the audience has - it's hard to see how he could have avoided it. He could have - and should have - honoured the arranged marriage. His actions were certainly a big mistake but could he really have anticipated that the consequences would be that severe?

I think he was the smartest Stark (though to be fair, his family are not known for their intelligence!)

leave a comment with facebook