Advertisement

Grittier Booster Gold

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Brian Keene's "Booster Gold"

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Brian Keene hit Tumblr going on about how DC passed on his "Booster Gold" pitch. You can read the issue outlines here.

Granted these are sketchy synopses but .. I don't know. The idea of making Booster a time-travel induced amnesiac resulting in him becoming a drooling mess doesn't appeal to me. When Booster disappeared a while back Future-Booster clearly knew what was going to happen. We now know that Booster was trapped in the past then last week reappeared in the present in All-Star Western #28. Why bother with more amnesia nonsense ? Okay, maybe they need more time for the Superman/Wonder Woman romance to resolve or whatever as that apparently had something to do with Booster disappearing but based on the pitch he posted I'm kind of glad they passed on it.

I'd rather they wait and give Booster a proper return to the DCU and a proper heroic series which hopefully is what may now be occurring. Plus I personally don't see Keene's pitch as "Quantum Leap meets Dr Who". I see the "Quantum Leap" aspect but it needs more meat to it. Maybe more or bigger sub-plots and without making Booster even more clueless. He could have just as easily had Booster figure out what's been happening without making him more of a victim.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 400 posts

Re: Grittier Booster Gold

Postby HNutz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 pm

holtom2000 wrote:If I had to pitch a Booster Gold comic, I'd make him like the Psycho Pirate in that he's the only one who remembers how Barry Allen F'd up the universe... I'd also team him up with pre reboot Ted Kord, his sister Michelle, Rip, and Skeets, who all avoided the whole reboot thing as they were in the time stream when it occurred.
This series would open up all sorts of crossovers between pre reboot characters and post reboot (as pretty much all of them would have been in the time stream at one point). Wally meeting Barry. Morrison JLA meeting John's JLA. JSA meeting the Earth-2. Etc.

It'll be hard to top this, IMO.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I read Keene's synopsis earlier today and outside of the talk of Booster gradually losing memories each time he jumps to another time, I don't remember anything about leaving him a drooling mess.

Honestly, I kinda liked the idea and I think it would be a fun and interesting way to explore the new history of the DCU. If it were up to me, I may have even taken the concept one step further and introduced the idea that Booster was spiraling out of control through time and the multiverse while Rip Hunter was trying to find him. Everytime Booster "jumped" to a new time or point in the multiverse, it would be possible that you would be getting a different version of Booster. So for the first couple of issues, you may get the New 52 Booster while in later issues you may get the Geoff Johns post 52 version or even the Justice League International version.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Okay so I paraphrased a bit :P

Bewildered, frightened, and bordering on the edge of a complete mental and emotional breakdown, Booster then appears in a futuristic looking chamber. As he lies trembling on the floor, curled into the fetal position ..
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Bond Hengbu
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

How about Booster as a competent businessman? i don't recall seeing that side/evolution of him.
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Right ? With his future knowledge of present events (even if it's incomplete or spotty) he should be able to clean up in some Stocks Markets and investments :D
-

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Hmm that's a nice EXTREME pic of Booster ya got there holtom2000.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 am

HNutz wrote:
It'll be hard to top this, IMO.

I should be a writer! wait, a GOOD writer.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:01 am

Zechs wrote:Hmm that's a nice EXTREME pic of Booster ya got there holtom2000.

yup. I own that series. it seemed more exciting to me at the time. in retrospect, not that great

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:50 pm

holtom2000 wrote:it seemed more exciting to me at the time. in retrospect, not that great

Sounds like some of my drunken hookups waaay back in the day :lol:
-

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I have decided I want to write for DC.

So here's my pitch for a typical DC light-hearted Booster Gold series:

He's a time travelling serial killer who keeps Dr. Light, (female Asian good version), in a box after cutting off her arms and legs---thus enabling Liefeld to draw her. He systematically travels though time murdering puppies, children, babies, kittens, senior citizens, Stephanie Browns, and superheroes.

What's that? You want a plot? Well, how about he's trying to murder Ted Kord? And the Green Lantern Corps and all the other color Corps so he found the Mauve Lantern Corps?

And he keeps killing Nightwing, over and over again, killing him anew every quarter second...

Dan, do I get the job?
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Sounds like some of my drunken hookups waaay back in the day :lol:

lol us all

Bond Hengbu
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Bond Hengbu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 am

Can't we have Booster Gold without Time Travel?
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 400 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 am

Bond Hengbu wrote:Can't we have Booster Gold without Time Travel?

...why?

Time travel's part of his origin, after all...

Bond Hengbu
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Bond Hengbu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 pm

He is interesting enough without it.
" Power has two faces:

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum