Advertisement

Gun Ads

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 273 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: Gun Ads

Postby GOSD » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:10 pm

lionel_luthor wrote:I agree with this wholeheartedly.

As most of us do. Most people shouldn't own an assault weapon.

I say this as a proud gun owner.

And achilles is right about the state of mental health in this country. Most people don't know the real and growing issue in this country that mental health is.

Twigg, stfu. America hating dick. :roll:

Advertisement

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:14 pm

NuggetFiend wrote:
In my opinion, practicing to be more skilled with something does not change what the items function is.

are you familiar with skeet shooting, target shooting, or biathlon?
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:16 pm

GOSD wrote:As most of us do. Most people shouldn't own an assault weapon.

I say this as a proud gun owner.

And achilles is right about the state of mental health in this country. Most people don't know the real and growing issue in this country that mental health is.

Twigg, stfu. America hating dick. :roll:

"America hating dick"

You can tell you're on the wrong side of the argument when you get idiots like GOSD on your side.

NuggetFiend
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby NuggetFiend » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

dairydead wrote:
are you familiar with skeet shooting, target shooting, or biathlon?

Yep, but at this point I think everyone is getting tired of this particular argument. I could organize a nail-pounding competition but is that going to change the essential function of the hammer as something designed to pound nails or pegs?

I really am mystified that something so basic is being argued.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 481 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

NuggetFiend wrote:
Yep, but at this point I think everyone is getting tired of this particular argument. I could organize a nail-pounding competition but is that going to change the essential function of the hammer as something designed to pound nails or pegs?

I really am mystified that something so basic is being argued.

How would it changes it's function of hammering nails in, when in your competition you are hammering nails?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm

and so what if the purpose is to kill, sometimes you need to kill animals for food or for protection. And even though I don't agree with it hunting for sport is a real thing as well.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Can we stop the boring point of guns being used for sport.

That has literally no impact on the debate you're having. Unless someone is going to argue that it's worth the 10,000 deaths a year because you can use a gun for target practice.

Is anyone arguing that? No? Good.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Rockman wrote:and so what if the purpose is to kill, sometimes you need to kill animals for food or for protection. And even though I don't agree with it hunting for sport is a real thing as well.

No-one in America now needs to use a gun for their food.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Jubilee wrote:I'd rather be in a country where neither of the people in that scenario had a gun...

Move to Canada, our Possession Acquisition Licence program is is very effective, the RCMP teaches it to civilians and there's a 45 day wait list while they check your background and your references that have to have known for three years. I believe there's a 5 round cap on assault rifle clips, apparently there's a pin/bolt screwed in by the gun dealer. If that pin is removed it's automatic jail time, 5-7 years I think.

It's pretty much the perfect system because banning guns outright isn't going to make you "safe". Nothing ever will. People bent on massacre won't be stopped because of a lack of means is merely the mother of invention. There will be more suicide bombers, knife wielders or arsonists. It's always so shocking to hear about these incidents in the media but it's significance is amplified through selective exposure. Swimming pools and cars still kill more kids than guns, not to mention the obesity epidemic that's diminishing life expectancy compared to the previous generation for the first time in the civilized world.

Gun control is the least of your worries, in fact I'd even argue that it's only an issue because the government would rather pretend to deal with it rather than more important issues like sustaining a healthy population with a viable economy that promotes the growth of the middle class. Until the West learns to put people above profits, it will continue to be a profoundly sick society.

The 1% would rather keep the profits and the sick society that it promotes. All they have to do is convince the people to exchange their freedom for security to deal with the symptom of violent social unrest rather than deal with the REAL disease, unrestrained, unbridled Big-Box Corporate Capitalism that destroys small businesses and makes part-time employees out of us all.

NuggetFiend
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby NuggetFiend » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Jubilee wrote:

There are plenty of dirt-poor people in this nation who supplement their food budget with hunting.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I don't even know where to go with that post Nitkrst. There is too much there :lol:

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Jubilee wrote:

Hunting is our means of enviromental conservation in this country

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Jubilee wrote:Can we stop the boring point of guns being used for sport.

That has literally no impact on the debate you're having. Unless someone is going to argue that it's worth the 10,000 deaths a year because you can use a gun for target practice.

Is anyone arguing that? No? Good.

Whether it's a legitimate argument to you doesn't really matter. There are millions of avid hunters that very much disagree with you. Hell, it's more of a sport than other things that are considered sports like auto racing or poker.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Rockman wrote:
Hunting is our means of enviromental conservation in this country

This is very true.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm

The only reason this is being discussed is because Nugget over here felt the need to say that a gun's only purpose is to kill..... which it is not, as evidenced by the fact that they are also used for tests of accuracy and skill.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum