Sunday, February 25, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Who invited Spektre?"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Gun Ads

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am

Jubilee wrote:Two adults and three children are dead after being shot by a teenager in an Albuquerque home this morning.

The teen, whose exact age has not been released, has been arrested and booked on two counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death. Right now it's unclear what the boy's connection is to his five victims — a man, a woman, two girls and a boy. Police are also still working to figure out his motive.

Several guns were also found in the home, including an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle like the ones President Obama called on Congress to re-ban this week. Police are looking to figure out who owned the guns.

He primarily used the AR-15, and had plans to kill people at a local Walmart:

AP

More details are emerging about Nehemiah Griego, the 15-year-old suspected gunman accused of shooting his father, mother, and three siblings to death with an AR-15 — and they add up to a gruesome picture of a teenager with a van packed with guns and a plan to shoot up his local Walmart in New Mexico. Here's what we've learned since the shooting early on Saturday:

Police have released the names of the victims:
Greg Griego 51, a former pastor with Calvary Church in Albuquerque, his wife Sara Greigo 40, and 9-year-old Zephania Griego, 5-year-old Jael Griego, and 2-year-old Angelina Griego.
Nehemiah Griego, Greg and Sarah's home-schooled son, shot his mother and his brothers in their beds multiple times at around 1 a.m. Saturday and then waited for his father, police said. There were 10 Griego children, but only the youngest were home on Friday night.
"[A]uthorities believe Nehemiah then put several loaded weapons, including the assault rifle, in the family van with the plan to drive to the nearest Walmart, gun down more people and eventually die in a shootout with police," report The Albuquerque Journal's Jeff Proctor and Patrick Lohmann. The Journal also reports that Griego called a friend before carrying out the rest of his plan, and that the friend got Griego to meet him at the church where Griego's father was a pastor.
The two guns used in the shooting — an AR-15 assault rifle and a .22 caliber pistol — seem to have belonged to Griego's parents. Griego "had a minor disagreement with his mother on Friday night," The Journal reports, adding:
Authorities believe Nehemiah’s parents owned the guns. The weapons had been stored in a closet, not in a gun safe. They also believe Nehemiah may have had violent fantasies including killing and murder-suicide scenarios for much of his life.

And don't blame video games, because Griego was not allowed to play them. Again, from Proctor and Lohmann's Journal reporting:
Another neighbor said Nehemiah wanted to be a soldier. Although he always wore Army clothing and camouflage, Nehemiah wasn’t allowed to play violent video games, the neighbor said, since the boy’s parents didn’t allow anything “dirty or violent” and limited TV watching.
Griego is currently in a juvenile detention center, and authorities are looking more more information: "Nehemiah Griego was charged with two counts of murder and three counts of 'child abuse resulting in death.' A motive is unclear, and authorities plan to hold a news conference Tuesday," reports The New York Daily News's Erik Ortiz.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am

Ah yes, doomsday religions, mental illness, and unlocked guns.

Great mixture.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank fuck he didn't get to that walmart.

oogy

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby oogy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 pm

A member of my family posted something similar to this on the Facebook this morning. :smt011

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 pm

arming every school with vets or trained ex militia is just not fiscally feasible.

now I didn't fact check this (yet), but wasn't there a huge uptick in licenses to carry recently (like 4 million?)

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Let's see what Israelis say about these comparisons--oh, surprise, they reject them outright and maintain never had the same problems with school shootings:

http://www.jpost.com/International/Arti ... ?id=297186

Let's just address the armed guards thing. You can find a lot of folks even in the Israeli government who want and believe all sorts of things. But he doesn't say WHY dealing with a maniac trying to shoot up a school is different than dealing with a terrorist trying to shoot up a school. Largely because it isn't, except maybe that the terrorist is likely to be more practised and to have scoped out the school better. So really, all that guy says is that he doesn't like guns.

Now you can debate the logistics of putting armed guards in schools. Though we do have thousands of unemployed vets who could be trained for the purpose. And let's face it, elites like Obama do seem to be fine with them as long as it's their children being guarded. So why not at least see if it's feasible to try it for the rest of us?

After all, as Lott and other point out, banning guns will only restrict them from law abiding citizens, not someone who is going to kill people. Some of the highest crime rates in the nation come from the places with the strictest gun control laws---because criminals are the only ones with guns.

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 pm

CountD wrote:arming every school with vets or trained ex militia is just not fiscally feasible.

now I didn't fact check this (yet), but wasn't there a huge uptick in licenses to carry recently (like 4 million?)

Possibly not. Perhaps is Obama took fewer $10 million dollar vacations at taxpayer expense, or at less Wagyu beef...

As for CCWs, I also don't know. I expect there's been an uptick, but how many I couldn't say.

Though every time a new location passes a shall issue law, (whereby you can't deny a CCW to someone who meets the requirements, unlike say Orange County CA, where you have to be rich and bribe the sheriff to get one), crime rates drop.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 pm

achilles wrote: And let's face it, elites like Obama do seem to be fine with them as long as it's their children being guarded. So why not at least see if it's feasible to try it for the rest of us

The Secret Service? :lol:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm

It's absolutely incredible. No matter how many articles like the Israel one are posted, the same myths are perpetuated.

The Obama's kids issue is unbelievable. I can't believe it's being used. Again I stress that Achilles is the poster who started talking about his favourite guns in the aurora massacre thread.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:

Money Melon!!! *faints from joygasm*

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm

I think it would be cheaper and more effective to hire ninjas to protect our children. A ninja can disarm a shooter with a throwing star and he'll never see it coming. What is it going to take to make this happen?

And if not ninjas, how about robots?

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Start evolving bulletproof kids.

(It's more likely than responsible gun owners apparently)

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:

Funny, but no. The school his kids go to has other, privately hired armed guards.

achilles

Silly French Man

Postby achilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Jubilee wrote:It's absolutely incredible. No matter how many articles like the Israel one are posted, the same myths are perpetuated.

The Obama's kids issue is unbelievable. I can't believe it's being used. Again I stress that Achilles is the poster who started talking about his favourite guns in the aurora massacre thread.

Yes, you can't believe an argument is being used that shows the hypocrisy of our leaders and elites. Well, ours, not yours. I really don't care about yours. Favorite guns? You're the one who brought that up. Claiming I turned some other thread into that. Please try to get your half baked crack-pot claims straight for a change... :wink:

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 pm

achilles wrote:
Yes, you can't believe an argument is being used that shows the hypocrisy of our leaders and elites. Well, ours, not yours. I really don't care about yours. Favorite guns? You're the one who brought that up. Claiming I turned some other thread into that. Please try to get your half baked crack-pot claims straight for a change... :wink:

I care about validating that claim. Because the Washington Post is reporting it's just another case of NRA make-believe. :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... _blog.html

Sidwell Friends, by the way, has two distinct campuses, a lower school in Bethesda and a middle and upper schools in Washington. So given shift rotations and three different schools, it appears that the 11 “armed guards” is really just one or two unarmed guards per school at a time.

Fact-checker gives it 4 Pinocchios, in fact! Because no one has ever reported seeing a single armed guiard there. :-D

leave a comment with facebook