I shall now rank the HBO shows in my order of preference.
1. Carnivale - this show had it all, and then some. A good cast, great writing and acting, a rich mythology to work with.. it was as close to a Vertigo book as I've ever seen a show come to.
2. Entourage - One of my favorite shows of all-time. It's just downright fun.
3. Rome - Really good.. I wanted to hate it at first, because HBO replaced Carnivale with this, but I found myself loving it alot.
4. The Wire - I'm still working my way through the first season, but I like it alot.
5. Six Feet Under - Not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was good.
6. Deadwood - I don't like it nearly as much as most people, because I CAN'T STAND westerns.. but it wasn't bad.
7. The Sopranos - I'm sure this is at the top of most people's lists, but I couldn't get into it. It's very boring.