Advertisement

Help Getting into Marvel

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BAMJoe
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 287
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am


Help Getting into Marvel

Postby BAMJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Since I got back into comics about 13 years ago I have been mostly a DC guy (don't worry, some indy stuff too). While at C2E2, I grabbed some Marvel HCs so that I can catch up on their stuff. I know that Marvel Now! is currently happening, but I am looking to go back to about the time that Civil War was happening. What books (series) should I get to hit the most import (or best) books of the last 7 years? Here is what I have:

New Avengers Deluxe 4-7 (Obviously I need 1-3)
Mighty Avengers Deluxe Assemble and Dark Reign (need Secret Invasion)
Secret Invasion
Seige
About 20 Spider-Man Hardcovers starting with Brand New Day Vol 1

Thanks.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:18 pm

That is the single most depressing list of comics I've ever seen, hands down. Why the hell would you do that to yourself??

Just say no.

Zechs
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 43783
Likes: 112 posts
Liked in: 170 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: From Parts Unknown
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Zechs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm

You bought the wrong Spidey relaunch. Buy Big Time. It preps you for Spider-Island, To the Ends of the Earth, Danger Zone, and Dying Wish. The only good parts of Brand New Day are New Ways to Die, the Gauntlet, and Grim Hunt.
Image
Image

Image


sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21418
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 162 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby chap22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm

leave all that other crap alone. here's the goods you want to read:

Secret Warriors
Hickman's Fantastic 4/FF
Brubaker's Captain America
Fraction's Invincible Iron Man
Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest/Nova/Guardians of the Galaxy/War of Kings/Reign of Kings/Thanos Initiative
Immortal Iron Fist
Incredible Herc
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39865
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 283 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Cosine Hickman Fantastic Four and FF. Also cosine Invincible Iron Man.

Reading Invincible Iron Man right now and it's really good.

edit: Hmmm to be honest, Civil War to Secret Invasion was kind of where Marvel started to go wrong. I actually quit reading comics around that time. I'm now going back and finding the stuff that went under the radar but there's very little I'm interested in.

There's some good stuff between 2000 and 2004 (pre-House of M).
Last edited by Keb on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8240
Likes: 431 posts
Liked in: 789 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon (Bro, you're welcome bro.)

Aside from that, Keb always has excellent suggestions and Chap's list is pretty good. Annihilation is hands down the best event from either Marvel or DC and the Nova series that came about as a result of it is one of the best superhero comic books of the past decade. Brubaker's Captain America is a solid read and the first 2 volumes of the Immortal Iron Fist are wonderful.
ImageImageImage

mrorangesoda
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8758
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 pm
Title: Be the leaf


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Mark Waid's Daredevil
Matt Fraction's Hawkeye

There, you're all caught up.

BAMJoe
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 287
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby BAMJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 pm

I heard I wasn't missing much, but the books cost $7-10,$15 for Seige, so I didn't think it would be too big of a loss. I am definitely picking up Captain America, Invincible Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and FF. I really want all of the cosmic books, but the hardcovers are all out of print. Any chance of Marvel reprinting, maybe around when the Guardians of the Galaxy movie comes out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39865
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 283 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 pm

BAMJoe wrote:I heard I wasn't missing much, but the books cost $7-10,$15 for Seige, so I didn't think it would be too big of a loss. I am definitely picking up Captain America, Invincible Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and FF. I really want all of the cosmic books, but the hardcovers are all out of print. Any chance of Marvel reprinting, maybe around when the Guardians of the Galaxy movie comes out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Good deals!

Are you okay with paperbacks?

Also, glad to see you're planning on picking up F4/FF!

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39865
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 283 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Also, if you have any questions about whether or not something is good or bad, we have a thread for that!

the-news-stand/any-good-official-mega-thread-t91439.html

BAMJoe
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 287
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby BAMJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Keb wrote:Good deals!

Are you okay with paperbacks?

Also, glad to see you're planning on picking up F4/FF!


I would prefer to stick with hardcover if possible.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

BAMJoe
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 287
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby BAMJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Keb wrote:Also, if you have any questions about whether or not something is good or bad, we have a thread for that!

the-news-stand/any-good-official-mega-thread-t91439.html


Nice I will definitely check this thread out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15989
Likes: 197 posts
Liked in: 283 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

Keb wrote:Cosine Hickman Fantastic Four and FF. Also cosine Invincible Iron Man.

Reading Invincible Iron Man right now and it's really good.

edit: Hmmm to be honest, Civil War to Secret Invasion was kind of where Marvel started to go wrong. I actually quit reading comics around that time. I'm now going back and finding the stuff that went under the radar but there's very little I'm interested in.

There's some good stuff between 2000 and 2004 (pre-House of M).


I too am in the middle of Invincible Iron Man and I got to say it's refreshingly pretty good. I've never enjoyed anything by fraction till this.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21418
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 162 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby chap22 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
I too am in the middle of Invincible Iron Man and I got to say it's refreshingly pretty good. I've never enjoyed anything by fraction till this.

on warning on IIM: the Detroit Steel arc in the middle is interminably long and boring and reads like one big long green-technology infomercial. everything before and after is great though.


and you've clearly never read the Fraction/Bru Immortal Iron Fist stuff. that is un-dislikable.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39865
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 283 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Help Getting into Marvel

Postby Keb » Wed May 01, 2013 10:11 am

chap22 wrote:on warning on IIM: the Detroit Steel arc in the middle is interminably long and boring and reads like one big long green-technology infomercial. everything before and after is great though.


and you've clearly never read the Fraction/Bru Immortal Iron Fist stuff. that is un-dislikable.

Detroit what!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Advertisement