Advertisement

Henry Cavill is the new Superman.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Re: Henry Cavill is the new Superman.

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

A British shoulda played John Constantine.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

Greg wrote:A British shoulda played John Constantine.

This I agree with only because Keanu Reeves sucks, and his Constantine was a completely generic character sharing absolutely nothing with the character from the comics other than that he smoked.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Chris wrote:How was the reaction to RDJ playing Sherlock Holmes over there?

I often wondered that myself when I saw that movie.

He was a fun Holmes, but at times, I think he really struggled with the accent.

But yeah, I think people would have flipped if Captain America hadn't been cast with an American, just as I think people would have flipped if Harry Potter hadn't been cast with Brits. And look at how people flipped when the Airbender characters were cast with white kids instead of asians.

But I don't mind Christian Bale being Batman; I don't mind Hugh Jackman playing the Canucklehead. I don't mind Heimdall being played by a black dude from Wales any more than I minded Elba playing an American in the Wire.

I think there are definitely two sides to the issue.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

I think with some people, though, ethnicity are entirely different and a void argument compared to overall race. While I would want a Haitian to play Toussaint in a movie based on his life, I don't think I'd trash or disregard the film if a non-Haitian got the role.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

ZombieRed
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ZombieRed » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Greg wrote:I think with some people, though, ethnicity are entirely different and a void argument compared to overall race. While I would want a Haitian to play Toussaint in a movie based on his life, I don't think I'd trash or disregard the film if a non-Haitian got the role.

What if Viggo Mortensen got the role? :P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Why Americans Don't Play Superheroes
ANALYSIS:The Internet is one contributing factor to the increased number of foreigners -- including Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Andrew Garfield, Ryan Reynolds and new Superman Henry Cavill -- who are taking iconic roles from Yankees.
February 2 8:15 AM 2/2/2011 by Borys Kit

In the late 1970s, David Prowse, the imposing actor who physically portrayed Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy, was told he couldn’t audition for the role of Superman when Richard Donner was casting his now-classic film. The reason? Prowse was not an American.

How times have changed.

British actor Henry Cavill, who has just been cast as the iconic -- and very American -- Superman, is the latest in a string of foreigners who have been chosen to play key movie roles by Hollywood. But since Superman is so quintessentially American, this latest casting has triggered a wave of soul-searching as yet another sought-after part has been outsourced.

“This casting is fundamentally anti-American,” wrote one commentator on Ain't It Cool News. “It's disgusting casting to the highest degree, and I will never ever see a movie with a Brit as Superman.”

But British, as well as Australian and Canadian actors, appear to have cornered the market on most of the leading action roles in the Hollywood movies that will be rolling out this year and next. They will be portraying the kind of caped crusaders and take-charge guys that once beloned to men bearing the “Made in the USA” label.

Andrew Garfield, raised in Britain, is portraying Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and Brit Christian Bale is about to start his third Batman movie. Australian Chris Hemsworth will be seen as Thor this summer, following in the footsteps of fellow countrymen Hugh Jackman (prepping for a new outing as Wolverine) and Eric Bana (who played Bruce Banner in Ang Lee's Hulk). Not to be left out, Canada is represented by Ryan Reynolds, who will patrol space sector 2814 as the Green Lantern.

Australia’s Sam Worthington has claimed the lead in movies ranging from Terminator: Salvation to Avatar to Clash of the Titans. And the casting British actor Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in the upcoming Steven Spielberg biopic could cause a crisis of confidence among American actors. [Pictured clockwise from top left: Bale, Worthington, Garfield and Reynolds]

A similar invasion is occurring in TV, with lead roles in AMC’s comic book adaptation The Walking Dead, NBC’s superhero show The Cape and ABC’s medical drama Off the Map all going to non-Americans.

Despite a 3-1 population advantage -- America’s 308 million easily outnumber the combined 107 million population of England, Canada and Australia -- accented actors currently enjoy an edge.

“America doesn’t produce strapping actors anymore,” said one Oscar-nominated producer, who declined to be named, pointing out that American action stars at this stage consist of thespians with more boyish appeal such as Leonardo DiCaprio, who fought his ways through dreams in last summer’s Inception, and Shia LaBeouf, palling around with giant robots in Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

“I hate to say it: They’re better actors,” added one talent rep who had a client in the early running early for the Superman role.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum