Saturday, May 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Henry Cavill is the new Superman.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I feel bad for Routh. I wonder if Routh will pass on to him the Superman cape that Dana Reeves passed on to him?

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Chris wrote:Image

Please god no more spandex. Please do something original with the costume.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Chris wrote:
You would have liked the other guy in the running.. Joe Manganiello from True Blood.

Dude is ripped:

But he doesn't look like Superman to me, so I'm happy with Cavill.

Reminds me of Gerard Butler

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Punchy wrote:A British Superman?

Even as a Brit I'm uncomfortable with this, Superman is an American icon, and as such, should be portrayed by an American.

I don't get why it's an issue. If he can do a good American accent, then it shouldn't matter at all. I would've said the same if Captain America was played by a Brit. Who cares?

They're actors. They play characters unlike themselves. It's their job. If the best man for the job just happens to be a Brit, so be it.

KING King Impulse

Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

This is ridiculous! I can't believe this! Casting a Brit as an iconic American character is awful. Imagine if an American played a classic English character, like, I dunno, Sherlock Holmes?! That'd be an awful film!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Chris wrote:
I don't get why it's an issue. If he can do a good American accent, then it shouldn't matter at all. I would've said the same if Captain America was played by a Brit. Who cares?

They're actors. They play characters unlike themselves. It's their job. If the best man for the job just happens to be a Brit, so be it.

I just don't like it, I don't like that Dan Dare is being played by an Aussie, I don't want an American to play Bond.

Superman stands very explicitly for American values, and it's a shame that they couldn't find an American to play him.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm

KING King Impulse wrote:This is ridiculous! I can't believe this! Casting a Brit as an iconic American character is awful. Imagine if an American played a classic English character, like, I dunno, Sherlock Holmes?! That'd be an awful film!

That film was pretty bad though, although Downey was decent in it. And I would argue that Sherlock Holmes isn't as tied into his country of origin as Superman is.

KING King Impulse

Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Punchy wrote:
That film was pretty bad though, although Downey was decent in it. And I would argue that Sherlock Holmes isn't as tied into his country of origin as Superman is.

That film was awesome! You're uninvited to my birthday!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm

KING King Impulse wrote:That film was awesome! You're uninvited to my birthday!

It was average!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Punchy wrote:And I would argue that Sherlock Holmes isn't as tied into his country of origin as Superman is.

No.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just don't like it, I don't like that Dan Dare is being played by an Aussie, I don't want an American to play Bond.

Superman stands very explicitly for American values, and it's a shame that they couldn't find an American to play him.

Ok are you serious here? Just want to be sure. I understand what you are saying, though I do diagree, but I see your point so it is not something that I feel needs to debated until someone leaves. The outhouse is not the thunderdome. :)

Really I do not care what nationality the actor is as long as that person does a good job becoming that character in the movie and make me believe he or she embodies what is in the comics that is fine with me. Hugh Jackman is a good example of what I mean with his portrail of Wolverine.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Benderbrau wrote:Please god no more spandex. Please do something original with the costume.

Someone call Tim Burton.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 pm

Punchy wrote:

But.. it's acting. Does it honestly matter to you that this guy has a British accent when he's on some late night talk show hyping the movie?

I mean, if he can't pull off a convincing American accent, then I can see your point.. but otherwise, it just seems like a really pointless complaint.

What matters is what is on the screen, not what's off.

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Benderbrau wrote:Please god no more spandex. Please do something original with the costume.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Routh is a decent actor and did what Singer asked him to do, play Christopher Reeves playing superman.

But yes the movie did suck, so boring.

The fact that Snyder is directing this though, right off the bat tells me I probably won't like it.

leave a comment with facebook