Advertisement

Home-Hunting: Do You Compromise?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Home-Hunting: Do You Compromise?

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Unless you're loaded, you need to compromise. I lived in Harlem for two years. I was in Manhattan and had a convenient commute, but I also witnessed shootings outside my window twice.

I moved to Astoria, Queens last weekend. It's full of young people, safe as hell, and has every type of restaurant or bar you can imagine. But I'm 10 minutes from the last stop on the N/Q train and I'm far from the center of Astoria where things are most active.

I ended up in these situations because of the one thing I am completely unwilling to compromise: price. I refuse to pay $1,000.

So keep your priorities, but accept the things you can't have because of your priorities.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:I lived in Harlem for two years.

:shock:

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Keb wrote: :shock:

I met a girl a couple of days ago and told her I used to live in Harlem. She said, "Oh, I live in Harlem now!" When I asked where, she said "East 93rd Street!"

Are people actually claiming to live in Harlem for street cred these days? That's 17 blocks away from the official border.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 pm

That's annoying. People who live outside of Toronto in the "Greater Toronto Area" often say I live downtown. I don't. I live in the High Park area. Of course, anything beyond the 2nd subway station is downtown for them.

The only part of Harlem I know of is 139 and Lennox. Apparently that's the danger zone, or at least it was in the mid-90s. :P

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Keb wrote:That's annoying. People who live outside of Toronto in the "Greater Toronto Area" often say I live downtown. I don't. I live in the High Park area. Of course, anything beyond the 2nd subway station is downtown for them.

The only part of Harlem I know of is 139 and Lennox. Apparently that's the danger zone, or at least it was in the mid-90s. :P

I lived at 129th and Lennox until last week. I have friends who live at 138th and Lennox. It's not a war zone, but I never felt comfortable visiting them.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I lived at 129th and Lennox until last week. I have friends who live at 138th and Lennox. It's not a war zone, but I never felt comfortable visiting them.

So now that you live in Queens, are you going to be an Action Bronson fan?

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 pm

What are your priorities?

I'm about to go sign a lease on a new apartment today after work, in fact. Of course there are some compromises, but I got my top priority stuff taken care of:
Location (North of the university, close to work)
Price (More than what I pay now, but in my range)
W/D (I despise communal laundry setups. I'm done with them.)

Things I'm going to miss:
3rd Floor (Great for privacy and security)
That's about it, really. My new apartment is first floor only, so 3rd floor isn't even an option. On the plus side, that means nobody living directly above me or below me. It also means climate control will be much easier, especially without the vaulted ceilings. Also, there's a gate at night, so the community has a little extra privacy and security anyway. I won't miss the 3rd floor too much, I think.

It's a small one BR place, which would put some people off, but it's just fine for me living alone. It's not luxurious or ultra modern, but those are my compromises, and I'm ok with them.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

take it from a guy who rented many many apartments...you DO NOT want N E one living above you.

if you can avoid it, do so.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Log-Man wrote:What are your priorities?

I'm about to go sign a lease on a new apartment today after work, in fact. Of course there are some compromises, but I got my top priority stuff taken care of:
Location (North of the university, close to work)
Price (More than what I pay now, but in my range)
W/D (I despise communal laundry setups. I'm done with them.)

Things I'm going to miss:
3rd Floor (Great for privacy and security)
That's about it, really. My new apartment is first floor only, so 3rd floor isn't even an option. On the plus side, that means nobody living directly above me or below me. It also means climate control will be much easier, especially without the vaulted ceilings. Also, there's a gate at night, so the community has a little extra privacy and security anyway. I won't miss the 3rd floor too much, I think.

It's a small one BR place, which would put some people off, but it's just fine for me living alone. It's not luxurious or ultra modern, but those are my compromises, and I'm ok with them.

If you're young and single, a small apartment is ideal. It's relatively cheap and easy to maintain. I enjoyed my apartment days.

If, God forbid, I was to end up single and otherwise unattached again, I don't think I could go back to it though. I like the relative privacy of a house, plus I can crank my guitar and not piss off the neighbors. I'm also used to having a separate living room and TV/entertainment room at this point.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Postby muddyglass » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Rockman wrote:one time I was showering and I noticed a centipede hanging out on the side of shower liner right up at eye level. There was 24 year old, buck naked me, screaming like a little girl at the sight of a harmless bug :lol:

Keb wrote:Yeah they used to come into our old house and chill on the walls and ceilings. I used to have to leave the room. Ugh.

make sure you don't harm a "house centipede" (google some pictures if you're not sure how they look like). those are the good guys who will hunt the roaches and silverfish for you. i made the mistake of killing a house centipede and crippling another one before i understood their function, and then had to deal with a silverfish infestation in the aftermath. silverfish will eat your books and comics. :smt013
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Rockman wrote:one time I was showering and I noticed a centipede hanging out on the side of shower liner right up at eye level. There was 24 year old, buck naked me, screaming like a little girl at the sight of a harmless bug :lol:

I would have screamed a lot too...

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm

If you can...travel to the future to see if you'll like it.

report back.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm

MrBlack wrote:If you're young and single, a small apartment is ideal. It's relatively cheap and easy to maintain. I enjoyed my apartment days.

If, God forbid, I was to end up single and otherwise unattached again, I don't think I could go back to it though. I like the relative privacy of a house, plus I can crank my guitar and not piss off the neighbors. I'm also used to having a separate living room and TV/entertainment room at this point.

It definitely took some getting used to after the divorce. I mainly miss having a big kitchen, and it's probably part of the reason I don't cook much anymore. Someday, maybe, a house again. Maybe even with another person, but girlfriend and I aren't even talking about that yet.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:

I met a girl a couple of days ago and told her I used to live in Harlem. She said, "Oh, I live in Harlem now!" When I asked where, she said "East 93rd Street!"

Are people actually claiming to live in Harlem for street cred these days? That's 17 blocks away from the official border.

They're just trying to be cool.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Log-Man wrote:It definitely took some getting used to after the divorce. I mainly miss having a big kitchen, and it's probably part of the reason I don't cook much anymore. Someday, maybe, a house again. Maybe even with another person, but girlfriend and I aren't even talking about that yet.

I don't mind the small kitchen if it's just me. I don't need a ton of counter space, even when cooking a big meal, and as long as I keep up with the dishes I usually don't run out of room. I do wish we had a bigger kitchen in our house, but that's because we have to deal with two kids. Of course, the kitchen in our house is probably the equivalent of a large kitchen in an apartment, even if it's a little small by house standards.

I keep seeing some of these micro apartments and thinking how great it would be to have so little in terms of worldly possessions that I could live in such a place. Very zen. Not gonna happen though.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum