Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The trash of the multiverse has gotta end up somewhere."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


How High Will Gas Go?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 pm



Yea, there isn't much a lifestyle change I can make either. If I have a wedding to shoot, I have to drive to it wherever it's at. I have to drive to meet clients often and drive to location shoots. I don't drive around aimlessly, I haven't in years. Even when I worked at sears about four miles away, I rode my bicycle to work everyday until winter for the last couple years I was with them. I still walk or ride to the store when I can. And sure, when I can afford a new vehicle, I plan on getting something that is better for the environment, but I planned on doing that even before gas prices went up so high. As things stand, I'm stuck having to deal with the gas prices as they are and there isn't much more I can change to cut costs.


User avatar

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 pm

xaraan wrote:

Yea, there isn't much a lifestyle change I can make either. If I have a wedding to shoot, I have to drive to it wherever it's at. I have to drive to meet clients often and drive to location shoots. I don't drive around aimlessly, I haven't in years. Even when I worked at sears about four miles away, I rode my bicycle to work everyday until winter for the last couple years I was with them. I still walk or ride to the store when I can. And sure, when I can afford a new vehicle, I plan on getting something that is better for the environment, but I planned on doing that even before gas prices went up so high. As things stand, I'm stuck having to deal with the gas prices as they are and there isn't much more I can change to cut costs.


FYI, they said yesterday on NPR that Hybrid SUVs make a negligible difference in your fuel bills, so you might want to look at other options when that time comes.
User avatar

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:39 pm

GOSD wrote:Wait until a hurricane slams into the Gulf of Mexico the next few months..

You'll see prices hit $8 a gallon.

The world economy will fall.


I'll make a car that runs on milk.
User avatar

toolverine

King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Moving to smaller cars can be a solution. Depending on how much stuff you're hauling, a hatchback might do the trick.
User avatar

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 pm

CountD wrote:I'll make a car that runs on milk.
I'll buy one and a cow. :-D
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:FYI, they said yesterday on NPR that Hybrid SUVs make a negligible difference in your fuel bills, so you might want to look at other options when that time comes.


Yea, they don't do that much better. My hope was to grow my business enough to open a studio, then the only thing I'd have to be mobile for would be weddings, events and true event location shots, where I wouldn't need as much equipment to haul around. Then I'd be able to buy a small car, or small hybrid car, or something like a mini or whatever, where I could get a little bit of equipment in without needing something that I could carry 9ft long backdrops and lights and all that in.

User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

toolverine wrote:Moving to smaller cars can be a solution. Depending on how much stuff you're hauling, a hatchback might do the trick.


Yea, that's eventually my hope. Once I don't need to haul around backdrops and quite as much equipment and I'll only need to haul around a couople camera cases and some basic lighting stuff a small car or hatchback would be plenty.


User avatar

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 pm

xaraan wrote:Yea, they don't do that much better. My hope was to grow my business enough to open a studio, then the only thing I'd have to be mobile for would be weddings, events and true event location shots, where I wouldn't need as much equipment to haul around. Then I'd be able to buy a small car, or small hybrid car, or something like a mini or whatever, where I could get a little bit of equipment in without needing something that I could carry 9ft long backdrops and lights and all that in.

Can you do anything on your taxes to write it all off as a business expense?

Some Japanese guys just invented the technology to run a car on water and announced it earlier this week. Not the backwards way of hydrogen tech, like GM and Ford are doing...that emits water. This car RUNS on water.
User avatar

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 pm

GOSD wrote:Wait until a hurricane slams into the Gulf of Mexico the next few months..

You'll see prices hit $8 a gallon.

The world economy will fall.


I've maintained for several years that I thought our economy would default around 2009/10. We're too much of a creditor nation and run too much on foreign debt. I hope I'm wrong.
User avatar

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:50 pm

daitong wrote:I've maintained for several years that I thought our economy would default around 2009/10. We're too much of a creditor nation and run too much on foreign debt. I hope I'm wrong.
So do I.

The problem is that if we fall, so will alot of other countries. Europe is already having serious issues..
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Can you do anything on your taxes to write it all off as a business expense?

Some Japanese guys just invented the technology to run a car on water and announced it earlier this week. Not the backwards way of hydrogen tech, like GM and Ford are doing...that emits water. This car RUNS on water.



Yes, I do get to claim mileage as a business expense. Just sucks during the year and it's a set amount per mile. So I would do better with a smaller vehicle anyways.


User avatar

toolverine

King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Here's a post on that water car. It actually runs on metal hydrides.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06 ... unking.php
User avatar

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 pm

toolverine wrote:Here's a post on that water car. It actually runs on metal hydrides.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06 ... unking.php


damn.
User avatar

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 pm

GOSD wrote:So do I.

The problem is that if we fall, so will alot of other countries. Europe is already having serious issues..


Yeah, and I don't know the solution. I feel like the problem is too institutionalized at the moment. Going extreme on regulation or free market ideology is not going to fix it. I don't think protectionism or fundamental globalization will get us out of this. I do think that American ingenuity and production need to kick this in the ass. We need to find that can do spirit again, instead of clinging onto solutions that worked for us in the past.
User avatar

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 pm

It's all china's fault. they're the ones buying the most cars/gas right now.

I blame them

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Draco x, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Fysh, HNutz, IvCNuB4, Rob Thompson and 60 guests