Advertisement

How will Margaret Thatcher be remembered?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 203 posts

Re: How will Margaret Thatcher be remembered?

Postby dairydead » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

David Bird wrote:
Interesting point. How old are you, Dairy? What do you actually remember versus what you've heard in the media?

I'm 25. I don't particularly have an opinion on Reagan, as im too young to have a truly informed opinion. What i do know is that I personally don't agree with a lot of his policies, based on what I've been told and taught through the years. I do know that several people that i respect politically have high opinions of the man and certain aspects of his administration. I'm spineless though, i hate categorically dismissing something as complex as an entire administration as "bad" or "good.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 pm

nietoperz wrote:I think Dairy is 26, which (scarily) means he was two when Reagan left office.

Reagan really lucked out in terms of the fact that Gorbachev was his counterpart at the end of his second term. He's the one that did all the heavy lifting and Reagan gets far too much credit.

Hab

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:01 pm

habitual wrote:
Reagan really lucked out in terms of the fact that Gorbachev was his counterpart at the end of his second term. He's the one that did all the heavy lifting and Reagan gets far too much credit.

Hab

Yep.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:06 pm

nietoperz wrote:I think Dairy is 26, which (scarily) means he was two when Reagan left office.

in a few weeks! :smt026
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Dammit, I thought he was younger than me. :?

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm actually curious what she did that gets the 'love, peace, and tolerance' posters to call her a cunt and hope her whole party dies. I remember Rick on The Young Ones hated her for being Fascist.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Jubilee wrote:I absolutely hate the phrase

"put the Great back into Britain"

What does that even fucking mean. :lol: Do people think the Great part of the Great Britain name is actually supposed to be some kind of verb?

Adjective.

/Grammar-Thatcher'd
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 pm

dairydead wrote:I just find this completely insane that you supposed "progressives" are resorting to calling a dead woman a "cunt" because she was conservative. :lol: way to take the high road.

It's not sexist if her political ideology is different than yours.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:I'm actually curious what she did that gets the 'love, peace, and tolerance' posters...

Waitwait, who is that now? :lol:

Thunderstorm wrote: I remember Rick on The Young Ones hated her for being Fascist.

Come to think of it, personally that's all the reason I need. :D
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's not sexist if her political ideology is different than yours.

It's not sexist under any conceivable circumstances. I don't know why Americans get so worked up about the word. I use it all the cunting time.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

nietoperz wrote:I think they're calling her a cunt because she was appalling. I mean, her conservatism is immaterial: if Sir Geoffrey Howe died tomorrow, he would not be reviled so and he was her Chancellor. We're talking about a woman who was an outspoken ally of Pinochet and Saddam Hussein, backed the apartheid regime in South Africa and called nelson Mandela a terrorist, all while dismantling the unions and destroying industry in the North of England and Scotland. She was a blight: that she is dead does not make her any less so.

I said the same thing about the Blink 182 drummer when he got in a plane crash and people were hella pissed. :P

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

More like Cunt 182, amirite Brits?

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Reagan's principle political policies were tax cuts and de-regulation. Very much the creator of the Republican's current stands on these issues. However, it wasn't so doctrinaire that he couldn't compromise when necessary. In terms of foreign policy, be basically lucked out. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan followed by their collapse let him take a lot of the credit for policies that the US had actually embraced since Truman.

Personally, I don't think the US has had any 'great' presidents in my life time. I was born in '63. The only one who might have had a chance at that honorific was Nixon, but his want of character did him in. No amount of policy successes can undo being forced from office to avoid impeachment. In fact, I think if we honestly looked at whether Bush Jr or Obama were the better president, it wouldn't be that easy a call--though neither of them are ever going to be considered great. (Of course, at the end of Reagan's term no one would have thought he'd be considered great either.)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:23 pm

PDH wrote:
It's not sexist under any conceivable circumstances. I don't know why Americans get so worked up about the word. I use it all the cunting time.

Personally, I would agree with you, but according to the hyper-sensitive American blogosphere, everything is sexist and misogynistic... except when they're doing it. I'm amazed at how many "Twitter pundits" who call for a lynching whenever someone makes a PMS joke are saying vile things about Thatcher today.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:I'm actually curious what she did that gets the 'love, peace, and tolerance' posters to call her a cunt and hope her whole party dies. I remember Rick on The Young Ones hated her for being Fascist.

Outside the US the left isn't really tied to the hippy, granola crunchers.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum