Wednesday, December 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Yellow journalism at its finest."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

How would YOU "fix"... a third movie?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate

OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Strict31 wrote:
I'm quoting the scene quite exactly, because I just watched that scene to make sure. He's asking about her real mom, and she's responding about her real mom.

You can interpret any sort of hidden meaning however you like, but going off the actual dialogue, Luke is asking her for recollections of her real mother as opposed to her adoptive mother. And because Luke knows at this point in the movie that they are siblings, he's asking for her recollections of their mother, because he doesn't recall her at all.

Now, I dunno what else to say here to make it more clear. It's clear from the dialogue that not only does Leia know she's adopted, but Luke knows she's adopted as well.

Then how do you juxtapose that interpretation with what we know of the end of Episode III? I mean, whether we like it or not, the official story is that Padme died moments after giving birth and thus Leia would have no memories of her as part of her life.

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
Then how do you juxtapose that interpretation with what we know of the end of Episode III? I mean, whether we like it or not, the official story is that Padme died moments after giving birth and thus Leia would have no memories of her as part of her life.

I think the disconnect we're having here is that you seem to believe the dialogue I posted is an "interpretation."

It is the actual dialogue of the film. I don't know how else to put that; just go and watch the scene again.

Now, in my opinion, any sort of juxtaposition is hampered by the fact that the prequels did little more than strain credulity in continuity. Namely; we must come up with increasingly improbable (but not impossible) interpretations.

For example, while improbable, it is not impossible than a person may retain certain memories from infancy. Of course, we can look at that and say, "well, that's absurd!" And it probably is. But certainly no more absurd than laser swords and telekinesis. Hell, it wouldn't even be the most unlikely thing in the setting. But unlikely does not equal impossible.

It's also possible that Leia is unconsciously confusing her memories of her adoptive mother in place of her birth mother. In other words, she may simply be mistaken about which person she's remembering. Memory deceives us all the time. And audiences often forget that characters and even narrators can be as flawed and mistaken as we are in real life. The audience tends to take a character at his word, especially in movies like Star Wars, without realizing that a character could simply be wrong about something.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

For starters:

Iron Man 3:

-I would first have the Mandarin( Played by Russell Wong or Chow Yun Fat) appear in Iron Man 2 instead of Whiplash where he works with Justin Hammer to take over Stark Enterprises( It would also be revealed that Obadiah Stane and those terrorists in the desert from the first movie were his pawns). The end result would be Hammer being killed off and Mandarin being sent to the Vault by SHIELD
-After the New York event in Avengers, Mandarin is broken out of custody by Ezekiel Stane( Cillian Murphy) and Justine Hammer( Amanda Seyfried) who want revenge against Iron Man for the deaths of their fathers.
-During the time of the time of the Mandarin's escaped it is revealed what happened to the Avengers afterwards: Hulk is nowhere to be found, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Nick Fury are off on a secret mission and Thor is offworld as Iron Man has to deal with the threat of the Mandarin's escape alone for the time being.
-Carol Danvers, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are introduced or mentioned
-The Mandarin is introduced to AIM by Ezekiel and Justine where scientists Aldrich Killian and co are working on the Extremis virus for super human soldiers. While the Mandarin is impressed it is revealed he has a much bigger plan which is to summon the ancient dragon Fin Fang Foom to do his bidding
-The villains unleash their attacks on Stark as Ezekiel and Justine take over Stark Enterprises and the Mandarin orders Fin Fang Foom to destroy Stark's home on the beach, leaving most of his tech destroyed and Stark on the run
-War Machine, Maria Hill and the rest of SHIELD is seen battling the Mandarin and AIM's forces as people wonder where the Avengers are.
-Pepper becomes Rescue as she and War Machine continue to battle Ezekiel and Justine while Tony tries to find a way to get Fin Fang Foom out of the Mandarin's control
-The Mandarin eventually betrays AIM as he kills Aldrich Killian and the other scientists and takes control of the Extremis virus while continuing to control Fin Fang Foom
-Tony returns with a new armor after he and Hank Pym find a way to break the Mandarin's control of Fin Fang Foom; Ezekiel and Justine, realizing Mandarin's betrayal reluctantly helps everyone to stop the Extremis warriors and sacrifice their lives to stop Fin Fang Foom
-Tony and co break the dragon from the Mandarin's control after taking his rings. The Mandarin is then eaten by Fin Fang Foom who then returns to his slumber beneath the Earth and SHIELD the entrance Mandarin used to make sure the dragon is never wakened again
-The aftermath of the film would be Nick Fury and Tony discussing the absence of the other Avengers during the recent attack and discuss the possibility of the aforementioned Initiative program and having backup teams across the state; Carol Danvers, Rescue, War Machine, Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne and a few others are mentioned as possible candidates and this foreshadows the dark road Tony is going to head down in the near future.
-The end-credits would show agents recovering several items such as the 10 rings from the Mandarin, the Extremis virus and DNA examples of Fin Fang Foom as they enter a room with several items: shards of Thor's hammer from the first film, pieces of Iron Man's armors from his wrecked home under the water, dead Chitauri warriors and creatures with their armor and tech, strands of Thor's hair, parts of the Destroyer armor, the super-soldier serum, DNA from the Hulk and the Abomination locked in stasis. It is revealed that AIM was a front for Hydra who has returned and several figures are seen such as Baron Zemo( Guy Pearce), Baron Strucker( Ben Kingsley), Viper( Kate Beckinsale) and a returning Arnim Zola. A picture of the Red Skull is shown and a stasis named Winter Soldier is seen as this segues into the upcoming Captain America sequel and the Agents Of SHIELD series.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Regulator wrote:
Weren't you the one complaining about FitzSimmons on SHIELD? None of these are even very thick examples of their respective accents. They're not hard to understand at all.

You're mistaken that wasn't me.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:09 am

Watching the first PotC movie makes me wish the sequels were better...

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am

the best way to fix POTC sequels is to actually have the scripts rewritten before filming began and actually editing the bloat down and making sure everything makes sense.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Rockman wrote:the best way to fix POTC sequels is to actually have the scripts rewritten before filming began and actually editing the bloat down and making sure everything makes sense.

Well, THAT goes without saying. 8)

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Watching Shrek Forever After makes me wish the series either ended on part 2 or went in a wildly different direction.

I was very disappointed with Shrek the Third and thought this one was kinda bleak...

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I think Shrek should have ended with the second one, which was pretty good. If they had to make a third one I wouldn't have included the children or anything.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Dark Knight Rises... Gawd, I would throw the WHOLE script out. I think it was a huge, HUGE mistake to try and combine elements of the Dark Knight Returns comic and the Bane stuff into one story. They don't FIT together. The Bane story is about taking Batman at the height of his powers, as it were, and "breaking" him. The DK Returns story is about a retired, already-broken Batman being sort of "reborn." Having Bane break an essentially already-borken-not-really-back Batman just doesn't work, conceptually. Which is why the whole thing felt forced.

Now as to what to do instead, I'm not sure. There's some good stuff in the Son of the Demon plot, but without Ra's, who they killed off in the first movie, that's a problem. They could do the old Bane storyline, but again, they are screwed by the ending of the second movie -- by making people blame Batman instead of letting them know the truth that Harvey Dent had turned bad. I don't buy that whole ending logic, btw, and I think it is highly contrived to try and force a "DK Returns" type environment for the 3rd movie.

I'd rather have seen the Riddler, done well, or else Talia done WELL (not the crap way they handled her in Rises).

But honestly to fix Rises, I'd need to go back and fix 2. Probably the BEST solution would be to NOT KILL TWO FACE so fast, but instead LEAVE HIM so he can be the villain of part 3. The other thing is I wouldn't plan for this trilogy to be "the end of Batman." Cripes how stupid is that. Just leave it open-ended for crying out loud, just in case, by some off chance, some day the cast wants to come back and do a 4th.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Dkr was tterrible

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Rockman wrote:At least then you'd have a chance of understanding what I'm saying

Are you sure you meant to come across that way?

Hab

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 pm

That was 3 months ago. I don't recall

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 pm

The third Matrix movie is on now and all I can think about is how fun the original movie was (and how much fun this one isn't).

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Comedy Central reminded me today that Austin Powers III should be on this list, too.

Don't get me wrong. It had some funny parts. But it also has a LOT of recycled jokes/concepts and wasn't nearly as good as the second one.

leave a comment with facebook