Advertisement

Idiot's Guide Contest: Recommend the Marvel Book and Win!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Idiot's Guide Contest: Recommend the Marvel Book and Win!

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:53 am

As mentioned in Saturday's article, we're holding a new Idiot's Guide Contest.

Mammon, a Review Grouper and IGW contributor is looking to finally dip his toes into the wide world of Marvel after blindly bashing the company for months. To help facilitate his search for quality Marvel books, we're looking to the Outhousers for recommendations. Mammon is looking for one to three current Marvel titles to start picking up and reading.

All we're looking for is for you to say what title Mammon should start reading and why in 100 words or less. Pick your favorite Marvel book, the book you feel is most accessible, or the book that you'd want to wish upon a DC sycophant that's been bashing Namor on the boards for months. Any book is recommended, be it ongoing or limited series. Mammon will pick one to three recommendations and pick up the book the following month.

So what's the prize? A copy of Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt personalized by Sean McKeever himself. That's right, Sean McKeever will deface a copy of his very own comic with (just) about anything you want on the cover!

The Rules:

1) Try to keep entries around 100 words or less. I won't be counting, but I've noticed that Mammon starts to lose focus after about thirty seconds of reading.

2) Multiple recommendations are allowed. A poster can enter as many times as he wants and multiple posters can pick the same book. Mammon will pick out specific recommendations as the winners, so if everyone recommends Avengers, everyone won't win.

3) For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mammon, here are some helpful hints to help you pick out a good book for him. Mammon likes boring Silver Age DC characters, believes that Aquaman is the shit, and loves a good villain. He's big into Greek and Roman history, gets slightly turned on by Black Manta and thinks that Spongebob Squarepants could hold his own against Namor, the Sparkly Water Fairy of the Sea. Hopefully, this will help.

Anyways, entries are due by 11:59 PM EST on May 3rd. Winners will be announced the following day.

Advertisement

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Re: Idiot's Guide Contest: Recommend the Marvel Book and Win

Postby Psivage » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am

The Hercules Limited Series all three of them were great.

both made by Cat-Scratch

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 246 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 am

Name three? okay...

#1) Avengers Academy - The only Avengers book that feels like an Avengers book.

#2) Annihiliators - Marvel Cosmic (DnA) is some of the most fun and epic adventures you'll find anywhere.

#3) uhm...? ? ?

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 90 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Herc - The mythological Hercules de-powered and hanging out in NYC.
Avengers: Academy - Classic Avengers training superheroes-to-be who may actually turn into supervillains.
Secret Avengers - A black-ops team of odd Avengers working under Stve Rogers (a.k.a. Captain America).

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Just remember, part of this is actually trying to persuade Mammon to pick your book instead of someone else's pick. Get creative with your reasoning!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:00 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Just remember, part of this is actually trying to persuade Mammon to pick your book instead of someone else's pick. Get creative with your reasoning!

Shut up.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Uncanny X-Force is the best Marvel comic on the stands. It's original, engaging and just flat-out badass. Rick Remender puts the characters through their paces with wild stories and makes the reader care for them with well-done characterization. Plus, it doesn't hurt that Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and Rafael Alberquerque have lended their artistic talents to the title. Cop it on sight.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Thunderbolts - Led by Luke Cage, this team of supervillians goes on missions to stop threats worse then they are. Juggernaut, Ghost, Songbird, Mach VII, Moonstone and the Man-Thing as their teleporter.

Written perfectly by Jeff Parker and fantastic pencils by Kev Walker, it's a great book with twists and turns that you don't expect. Check out the recent Hyperion issues (#152 & #153). Awesome stuff!

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby misac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 pm

X-Factor (specifically #216) – This is a comic that takes advantage of being set in an established universe. Issue #216 guest stars Spider-man regulars and a cameo by the web-head himself. They even made a Thor as guest star work. And the art is amazing, I can very well see Emanuela Lupacchino becoming a big name in comics.

Marvel Adventures Spider-man – Very fun Spidey comic without the horrible retcon. It deals with a young Peter but this time around he has a new and different supporting cast and really cool Wolverine cameos (seriously!).

I can’t recommend anything else cause everything else I read is either ending or a mini. :-(

Mr. Poolman
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Is Always Right

Postby Mr. Poolman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:07 pm

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (and sequels)
This is not what you are expecting, but it is a really good book. Written with devotion and has beautiful artwork. Many see it as a "kid book", but the real fact is that it is a REALLY good comic. Fun, innocent and pretty.
It will give you perspective on the fact that not all comics need superheroes, just a good story.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 am

Captain America is the best Marvel book you should read. It's not just about Steve Rogers anymore. Brubaker has turned it into a story of the ideal of Captain America. That's why we see snippets of life from the eyes of Bucky, Sharon Carter, Falcon, and Black Widow. Along with Steve, these characters are irrevocably intertwined with the myth of Captain America as well as the reality.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 am

I guess the time has arrived for Mammon to pick and start reading a Marvel comic book... Gods, why did I ever think this was a good idea. :shock:

This was very hard on me, for I feel like I have betrayed DC comics for even agreeing to such a wild idea.

That being said, the Marvel comic that has been selected is HERC.

Namor was in a tight race with Herc but Greek myth holds a very special place in my heart. I will be going into this with an open mind and looking forward to Hercules kicking the shit out of some Bloods.

Thank you everyone who posted comics here! And congrats to Hawk for picking the winner!

I'll be posting a review for Herc #1 soonish. within a week I hope.
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Herc is dumb enough you might actually like it. :wink:

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 169 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 pm

If you really want to see Herc at his best Mammon pick up the 'incredible Hercules against te world' trade....the first trade of the Pak/FVL series.

That was awesome made even more awesome with the Ares one-liners.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Hawk is dumb enough to laugh at winning. :wink:

I am truely a shitty human being.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum