Advertisement

Iron Man 3 talk (spoilers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 224 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Iron Man 3 talk (spoilers)

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun May 05, 2013 9:41 pm

That's what I got too.

Btw, nobody else was amused how fragile the armor was in this movie compared to the other two and the Avengers? It even got taken apart by colliding with a semi.

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby doombug » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:That's what I got too.

Btw, nobody else was amused how fragile the armor was in this movie compared to the other two and the Avengers? It even got taken apart by colliding with a semi.

the mark 42 was brand new armor that was basically skin tight and a full on prototype.

The other armors were all in design/prototype stages too. These things while not fully explained are pretty well spelled out in the movie. (Sorry if this comes off as me being a dick fieldy, not my intention)

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 408 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Rockman wrote:-Sorry amoebas but worrying about how the bits of armor traveled 800 miles is kind of fan nitpicky. You're dealing with a character that created the most sophisticated weapon in human history from missile parts while working with a broken heart in a cave for 3 months. Is it really that unreasonable to assume that this character created a suit that could do that kind of stuff?

Sure Tony Stark is a genius - but there's gotta be a limit somewhere. Faceplates with enough rocket power to travel over 1000 mph to trek the 800+ miles in mere minutes should be one of those limits.

You make it sound like, just because he's Tony Stark, it's okay if he builds something nonsensical. In Iron Man 4, Tony builds a echtoreimager so that he can play ball with his Dad. In Iron Man 5, Tony builds a machine that turns the moon into a Burger King. But it's all okay because he once was in cave where he built a quisinart using only stone knives and bear claws. I don't think so.

There has to be limits. One of my favorite bits in Iron Man 1 and subsequently IM2 with the suitcase; was how much time and effort it took to put the suit on. Now he only has to think the armor on and there it is. Boring. Heck, as it is, Stark never even has to wear the armor again as he has perfect remote control (and the Jarvis AI is even better at it than Stark is).

I liked the movie - but if something bugs me in a movie, it suppose it could be "fan nitpickery" (or it could be silliness by the filmmakers)(I side with the latter :-D ).

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm

doombug wrote:he other armors were all in design/prototype stages too. These things while not fully explained are pretty well spelled out in the movie. (Sorry if this comes off as me being a dick fieldy, not my intention)

I half expected to see different armors based on his "super-friends" (ala What If #3)...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 447 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun May 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Well 800 miles in five minutes is about 12.5 times faster than the speed of sound. So the whole scene is completely impossible given the real world. We obviously aren't supposed to overthink it but a no prize might be that he called the armor as soon as he woke up and it actually took several hours.

As for it hitting planes or whatever if say that stark programmed it to fly above or below the height of your average commercial jet keeping it safe from accidental collision.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh hey, you're the perfect guy to ask about this...what was the Man-Thing connection? I know a character from Man-things supporting cast or history was used for the movie but who was it?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun May 05, 2013 10:55 pm

I can answer this: One of the extremis henchmen is playing Ellen Brandt, the wife of Ted Sallis who was responsible for his accident that transformed him into Man-Thing.

Ellen was the woman from that barfight in IM3.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:I can answer this: One of the extremis henchmen is playing Ellen Brandt, the wife of Ted Sallis who was responsible for his accident that transformed him into Man-Thing.

Ellen was the woman from that barfight in IM3.

the fake CIA/FBI agent?

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am

doombug wrote:the mark 42 was brand new armor that was basically skin tight and a full on prototype.

The other armors were all in design/prototype stages too. These things while not fully explained are pretty well spelled out in the movie. (Sorry if this comes off as me being a dick fieldy, not my intention)

Except that the armor also takes a full on crash from the sky after already being beat to hell. It falls apart constantly every other time (usually for nothing but a cheap laugh) except that one time. Convenient.

Also, unless he is using paper machete to make the prototypes, that's a weak reason. They are still made out of (hopefully) quality metals. I can understand maybe certain suits, but some of those were supposed to be tough.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 am

doombug wrote:the fake CIA/FBI agent?

yeah.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1057 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon May 06, 2013 1:06 am

Iron Man 3 wasn't my favorite Marvel movie but I was really enjoying it up until "Clean Slate." I don't care how you try to justify it, destroying all his remaining armor, especially when there could have been any number of surviving and unaccounted for extremis soldiers around, was a monumentally stupid and wasteful decision.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 am

Grayson wrote:Iron Man 3 wasn't my favorite Marvel movie but I was really enjoying it up until "Clean Slate." I don't care how you try to justify it, destroying all his remaining armor, especially when there could have been any number of surviving and unaccounted for extremis soldiers around, was a monumentally stupid and wasteful decision.

Also...
In the stinger, he's on good terms with Bruce Banner - why not call in for all the help he can get from his other Avenger/spy buddies? I'm guessing SHIELD had the only TV that didn't receive the televised broadcast of a countdown to epic terrorism.

I know this is an Iron Man movie - but they've done a damn fine job of establishing that this is a shared universe. To ignore it so soon is odd.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 466 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Mon May 06, 2013 6:47 am

Amoebas wrote:Also...
In the stinger, he's on good terms with Bruce Banner - why not call in for all the help he can get from his other Avenger/spy buddies? I'm guessing SHIELD had the only TV that didn't receive the televised broadcast of a countdown to epic terrorism.

I know this is an Iron Man movie - but they've done a damn fine job of establishing that this is a shared universe. To ignore it so soon is odd.

Yeah I agree that would be my one and only complaint about the movie. They showed ramifications of the Avengers movie and that was fantastic but it bothered me that no one else from the Avengers movie showed up to help out. No Hulk, no SHIELD, nothing, that just seemed wrong to me.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 am

Yeah yeah yeah, and why didn't Gandalf just call the eagles right at the start.

BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO MOVIE.

Nobody ever complains about this in the comics, you'd have to do the same for every solo story any Avenger ever had.

Maybe Cap 2 and Thor 2 are happening at the same time as this movie? I dunno, but this is not an Avengers movie, it's an Iron Man movie, to throw everyone else in would ruin it.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 447 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 am

Grayson wrote:Iron Man 3 wasn't my favorite Marvel movie but I was really enjoying it up until "Clean Slate." I don't care how you try to justify it, destroying all his remaining armor, especially when there could have been any number of surviving and unaccounted for extremis soldiers around, was a monumentally stupid and wasteful decision.

Or Jarvis used his heat scanners to see that all the soldiers had been taken care of?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum