Advertisement

OP/ED: Is It Just Me Or Does All This Drone Talk Sound Like A Super-Villain’s Plan?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

OP/ED: Is It Just Me Or Does All This Drone Talk Sound Like A Super-Villain’s Plan?

Postby LOLtron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 am

Sending targeted missiles into populated areas with no regard for bystanders or laws reminds me of The Mad Thinker.

I want to make it clear, I do not care about the ethics, morality, or even Constitutionality of domestic or foreign drone attacks; I am, generally, in favor of anything that makes it so there are less people who could, in theory, get in my way (speaking of, anyone know what happened to frequent Outhouse contributor, Punchy?).   That being said, doesn’t all this sound like something Lex Luthor would do from the Hall of Injustice?

Think about it, what would pre-AVX Captain America think about a process that boiled down to, basically, sitting thousands of miles away as someone hits a button to take out American citizens with no due process or even a trial.  He’d think “What is the Red Skull up to now?” that’s what he’d think.

I imagine The Toy maker sitting down with Pentagon officials trying to get financing for his new “Kill Superman” toys craftily re-marketed as “flying spy machines you can kill bad guys with, but not me.”

Again, blow up all the factories, schools, terrorist camps, or even worthless states like Missouri all you want - try and throw some non-brown victims in there if you can - but if the government ever wants to try and spin this and make it look like something a real American hero would participate in they are going to have to come up with some way to convince us that the drones are not flying Doombots bent on world domination that would be easily hacked by some angry emo 13 year-old in his mom’s basement.

I am no expert (in anything, ask my wife), but all I can imagine whenever I hear people talk about drone strikes is The Penguin’s plan in Penguin: Pain & Prejudice of sending hundreds of flying penguin robots all over Gotham in order to…well, I don’t remember what the goal was, but the point stands.  Drone strikes, whether we admit it or not, sounds like what happens when a group of super-villains get together to solve the “Batman problem” and that’s not the America I want to root for.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum