Saturday, October 20, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Kara Zor-el

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

ok Chessack, that should have gotten your attention

Let me know, in all honesty, is the new Supergirl 52 any good?

It looks like it might be a fun read, but this is DC we're talking about here

So I need an honest opinion about whether you like the new Supergirl or not

And for those who think this should have been a PM, here is a picture of Kara that looks like she's using the toilet. Enjoy!

Pharozonk

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Pharozonk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Schlemmer wrote:

I don't think you need Chessack to answer that for you. :lol:

Supersoldier Washout

WTF is this rank?

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm kinda under the impression he hates it.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:I'm kinda under the impression he hates it.

"kind of" ? :lol:
Settle in and get ready for paragraphs of what Chessack hates about it.

Supersoldier Washout

WTF is this rank?

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:49 pm

oogy

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby oogy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm not Chessack, but I'll answer anyway.

What I read of Supergirl, I liked. I dropped it because it was too involved with big Superman tie-ins with books that I wasn't getting.

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:11 pm

oogy wrote:I'm not Chessack, but I'll answer anyway.

What I read of Supergirl, I liked. I dropped it because it was too involved with big Superman tie-ins with books that I wasn't getting.

Yep, It was good but fucking crossovers killed my interest. Art was good too.

:-(

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Schlemmer wrote:ok Chessack, that should have gotten your attention

In a word: No.

The FIRST story arc, 'Last Daughter of Krypton,' was well-executed as a story-line. If the rest of the series had been like that, it wouldn't have been half-bad. Structurally, dialogue-wise, and art-wise it was pretty solid.

I do not like the creative choice they made from the outset to have Supergirl be a bratty kid prone to throwing super-tantrums. It makes her seem not just childish but actually not fully sane. When she first sees Superman with the "S" for instance her reaction is to punch him in the face. Then she keeps beating on him accusing him of lying to her about the fact that Krypton was destroyed. Now, I totally get her not believing it, based on the circumstances, but she's not acting confused or even somewhat angry here -- she is acting completely psycho-nuts. And she basically keeps acting that way for all 40 issues. She always punches first and asks questions, if at all, much later -- usually only after something/someone more powerful has managed to physically stop her from punching things. Having come up on a Supergirl who is intelligent and thinks before she acts, I found this version of her extremely objectionable. But if one takes this brat-personality as a given, what was written for the character was of reasonably good quality in the first arc.

The SECOND story arc, which features Silver Banshee, is not as good as the first but is still OK. They insist on having her still not really believe in Krypton's destruction (even though now she has seen it with her own eyes), hate earth, and so on. They don't let her learn English, which gets old fast. And the refuse here as well as later in the series to have her even willing to tolerate Superman let alone get along with him. Again these are creative choices that I think were bad for the character, and made her again seem like a jackass with whom it was very hard (even knowing how much I *love* Supergirl) to sympathize.

These two arcs comprise issues 1-13 plus issue 0. I do not like how they portray Supergirl as a mindless punch-girl. BUT... I cannot argue against the overall quality of the plotting, the story-telling, and the art. So if you don't care much for the legacy of Supergirl and you want to read some decent enough stories, those 14 issues are acceptable reading in terms of quality.

Everything from issue 14 and up is absolute shit and is not worth reading. Issue 14 starts the H'el on Earth story, which was originated by Lobdell so you can probably imagine how bad it was. Then once H'el is over they start a writer merry-go round with a new writer every arc and every arc being a crossover with something else... Superman: Doomed; Red Daughter (with the RL corps); Krypton Returns; Villain Month. I would not recommend anything after issue 14.

It looks like it might be a fun read, but this is DC we're talking about here

Issues 1-13, followed by 0 (or you can do 0-13 but that is not the order in which they are published) make a non-horrible read, especially if you have no particular concern for Supergirl as an ongoing character with a legacy of being intelligent and thoughtful.

I would say however, that if you are looking for GOOD stuff about Supergirl, there are two other better places to get Supergirl stories. More recently, easier to find, and available in trade and I think also on Comixology is Waid's Supergirl/Legion stuff. NOT the stuff after Waid... after him was Bedard and Bedard's SG/LSH arc was complete shit. Having read his 10 issues of New 52 Supergirl, I have come to the conclusion that he has no freaking idea how to write Kara. But the Waid stuff is very good.

Less recently but by far the highest quality Supergirl stuff probably in all of history (though it is NOT about Kara Zor-El) is Peter David's entire run with the matrix version of Supergirl (all 80 issues, but especially issues 1-51, which form one giant mega-story-arc). His writing is unparalleled in the annals of Supergirl, and on top of that you get either Gary Frank or Leonard Kirk's art throughout, and both of them draw Supergirl really well (I like Frank's version a tad better but Kirk's is also very good). However, those are harder to find and other than the first story arc and maybe the last, you can't get them except as individual floppies. I worked for the better part of a year ordering back-issues from 32-80 when I came back to collecting comics in '12.

So in sum here is my assessment:

If you want something quick and fun, I'd recommend Waid's SG/LSH over anything recent.

If you want something really well done that you can sink your teeth into and build into a fantastic collection, then I recommend Peter David's run.

If you just want to do either New 52 or nothing at all, I'd say do 0-13 of New 52 and STOP. Anything that Michael Green did not help write, is not worth reading (he stopped after issue 13).

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Chessack wrote:
In a word: No.

That's where I stopped reading. :lol:

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:08 pm

awesome; thank you everyone for your responses

I do appreciate it!

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 pm

oh, man, I soooo would read retro Supergirl

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:06 pm

And a Schlemmer Image thread is born.

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:08 pm

NoctourneM wrote:And a Schlemmer Image thread is born.

I can't help it, look at this!

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Schlemmer wrote:I can't help it, look at this!

If I was a cartoon character, I'd totally hit that.

leave a comment with facebook