Advertisement

Kari no Anime & Manga Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Kari no Anime & Manga Thread

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Dragon was the most popular Saint in Japan back in the 80s. Seiya was the least.

All five did reach God Saint level, but ultimately went back to Gold Saint level with some choosing to take the role. Gold Saints are not as free as Bronze or Silver Saints.

Plus, they could only become the Gold Saint if the Gold cloth of their zodiac sign was without a holder.

By the way, did you know all five heroes were in fact half brothers except for Phoenix and Andromeda who were full brothers?

Half brothers? No, I didn't know that. Did they say that in the new Omega series?

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 787 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Arion wrote:
Half brothers? No, I didn't know that. Did they say that in the new Omega series?

No, they said it during the original. Turns out that the old rich guy that adopted Saori aka Athena and started the Galaxian Wars was a real bastard. All those orphans he sent off to be trained as Saints... his bastard kids. At least our main group are.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
No, they said it during the original. Turns out that the old rich guy that adopted Saori aka Athena and started the Galaxian Wars was a real bastard. All those orphans he sent off to be trained as Saints... his bastard kids. At least our main group are.

When did that happen? I must have seen the original episodes at least a dozen times and I don't remember that. Could my memory be this bad?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Arion wrote:
When did that happen? I must have seen the original episodes at least a dozen times and I don't remember that. Could my memory be this bad?

Could be.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 am

are there any series you guys would recommend that are kinda grounded, avoid the more outlandish anime aspects yet still deliver good action? just seen black lagoon seasons 1 & 2 and am getting 3 which i enjoyed.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 am

fieldy snuts wrote:are there any series you guys would recommend that are kinda grounded, avoid the more outlandish anime aspects yet still deliver good action? just seen black lagoon seasons 1 & 2 and am getting 3 which i enjoyed.

Not sure. I tend to like more fantastic stuff. Did you mean non-science fictiony? Or just more "gritty"?

Have you tried Golgo 13?
Image Image Image ImageImage

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 am

fieldy snuts wrote:are there any series you guys would recommend that are kinda grounded, avoid the more outlandish anime aspects yet still deliver good action? just seen black lagoon seasons 1 & 2 and am getting 3 which i enjoyed.

Since you like Black Lagoon, you should like Jormungand seasons 1 & 2.

Then for what you described, one of my all time favorites - Hyouka. It's a detective/love story of sorts.

Thing is, all the rest are light comedies that are cute but otherwise fluff. So stuff that is good and kind of tame -

Kokoro Connect
- a character exploration as a small high school club becomes the labrats of some sort of alien/supernatural being(s). Good melodrama.
Tamako Market
- short anime, cute with some silly. Basically set in a shopping arcade (mall) where a talking bird has arrived looking for a human girl
to marry his human prince. The series has some cute comedy and character explorations. Very charming and sweet.

Stuff that goes more outlandish but are very good.

Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari (Bakamonogatari sequel)
Nekomonogatari (Black)
Nekomonogatari (White)
- Another favorite of mine. Based on a series of light novels, it involves a high school student dealing with supernatural entities that affect people in his life. Very sureal, tons of text flashed to catch, interesting and eccentric characters. Amazing series.
Another
- Another favorite of mine. Horror series. I'm not a horror fan but this one knocked it out of the park for me. Shock value made.
Sword Art Online
- Another favorite of mine. One of the most popular anime in years. Set in a virtual world.. things go FUBAR and it becomes a life or death battle. It's split over two seasons and two VR worlds. Great stories and characters.
Ben-to
- short anime, action comedy. Sort of fight club meets supermarket prepared meals. Hilarious stuff. But a bit outlandish at times.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Initial D Manga's Final Chapter to be Published This Month

This year's 34th issue Kodansha's Young Magazine is revealing on Monday that Shūichi Shigeno will end his Initial D manga in this year's 35th issue that is scheduled to be released on July 29. The manga has been running for 18 years in the magazine, and Shigeno had revealed in March that he was heading toward the manga's finale.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:49 pm

so i guess the cliffhanger ending of the beginning of the race in 5x14 is for the series finale. looks like there's no reason for them to do another 2-3 eps to wrap up this season and the ending.

also hope funimation won't be discouraged from dubbing the final season some time in the future too.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Not sure. I tend to like more fantastic stuff. Did you mean non-science fictiony? Or just more "gritty"?

Have you tried Golgo 13?

Grittier and less-science fictiony. I tried Gungrave but the hulking out zombies just made me tune out....outside of that I really liked the overall story though.

Liked Jorumgand too. Golgo 13 looks interesting 8)

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:57 pm

[url=http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/18/video-latest-teaser-for-tiger-bunny-the-rising-introduces-barnabys-new-partner]
Latest Teaser for "Tiger & Bunny -The Rising-" Introduces Barnaby's New Partner[/url]
The teaser introduces a new character Golden Ryan who is Barnaby's new partner instead of Wild Tiger in the film.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Could be.

Gee, that doesn't make me feel any better...

sdsichero

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight Gets New Remake Manga

Japanese publisher Home-sha's online manga magazine Puratto Home launched a rebooted version of Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight (Ribbon no Kishi) manga on Friday to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the manga. Shouko Fukaki (The Battle of Genryu: Origin, Guardian dog) is drawing the new manga, titled RE:BORN Kamen no Otoko to Ribon no Kishi (RE:BORN The Masked Man and the Ribbon Knight). Atsushi Kagurazaka (Taisho Baseball Girls) is handling the scenario, and Tezuka Productions is collaborating on the project.

"Episode 0" of the manga is available to read for free now.

Princess Knight revolves around Princess Sapphire, who was born with both the soul of a boy and a girl and raised as a boy so that she can inherit her kingdom's throne. The manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka drew the original story in Kodansha's Shoujo Club magazine from 1953 to 1956.

(note the free manga is in Japanese)

sdsichero

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum