Advertisement

Kari no Anime & Manga Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 787 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Kari no Anime & Manga Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Arion wrote:
Fucking hell! American comic books haven't broke the half a million barrier in over a decade, and this thing is selling 300 millions. Unbelievable.

There's a big difference between there and here.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Just watched the final episodes of Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Greatest Anime.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Now bring on the must - Space Battleship Yamato 2201.

For those not knowing what I am referring to - The White Comet Empire.

I think after this, they better do that one or the fans may kill them. :lol:

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Now bring on the must - Space Battleship Yamato 2201.

For those not knowing what I am referring to - The White Comet Empire.

I think after this, they better do that one or the fans may kill them. :lol:

Well they did announce another movie...
Image Image Image ImageImage

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:37 pm

sdsichero wrote:

Well they did announce another movie...

Yeah, but it almost sounds like either a recap of this series or something else.

I seriously doubt they'd do Farewell Yamato as a remake. The series was far better received then it was.

They definitely left little signs here and there supporting remakes for the whole franchise.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I'm still marveling at this series. Incredibly well done remake. Nothing lost from the original, but a lot gained for it. Really showcased what an awesome SF story it is. One of the best of the franchises alongside Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, Babylon 5, Farscape, Space 1999, etc. ...

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
There's a big difference between there and here.

A huge difference.

What can the American market do to increase their readership levels? Those Japanese guys must be doing something right.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Arion wrote:
A huge difference.

What can the American market do to increase their readership levels? Those Japanese guys must be doing something right.

They'd have to convince people from 6 to 50 that reading comics of multiple genres is okay and normal. Added also with better pricing for the readership.

American comics have tossed too many genres to keep truly viable as manga. Then the costs per month for a comic is ridicules compared to what is offered in Japan. Same with the collections.

But the biggest hurdle is just getting people in America to think it's okay to read and enjoy comics again. But the stigma(s) are there and not going away.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
They'd have to convince people from 6 to 50 that reading comics of multiple genres is okay and normal. Added also with better pricing for the readership.

American comics have tossed too many genres to keep truly viable as manga. Then the costs per month for a comic is ridicules compared to what is offered in Japan. Same with the collections.

But the biggest hurdle is just getting people in America to think it's okay to read and enjoy comics again. But the stigma(s) are there and not going away.

Yes, we need more variety.

And price is a very important factor. Look at Marvel, as of January they will have eliminated pretty much all 2.99 titles and replaced them with 3.99... and it's becoming very frequent to find comics at 4.99 just because they have a couple of extra pages.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Arion wrote:
Yes, we need more variety.

And price is a very important factor. Look at Marvel, as of January they will have eliminated pretty much all 2.99 titles and replaced them with 3.99... and it's becoming very frequent to find comics at 4.99 just because they have a couple of extra pages.

The American comics market is a funny one. It was huge and has done nothing but collapse for the last 60+ years into a cottage industry that's dying.

In the 40s, they had a ton of genres. Nothing like what Japan has today, but still they had stuff that's now gone.

In Japan, you can find business comics. Seriously there are comics that only concern being a business man. House wife ones too. Add to that that some veer off into silly si-fi stuff as with Business Commando Yamazaki (for an example), a comic about a business man turned cyborg who trouble shoots for business men in need. They also have food comics that cover baking bread, noodles.. etc. Then there are the game ones. TONS of ones concerning playing Mahjhong or GO or Shogi... there is nothing here like that.

Every comic company that popped up since 1978 that has died since, nearly all of them, all died for the same reasons in the end. Bad pricing and money management. Marvel was saved by Disney. DC saved by Time Warner. But the rest... tick tock.

Marvel and DC don't really give a shit. It's money. As we're seeing now, the merchandizing is the mint for these characters, not the comics.
So they don't give a shit.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:I'm still marveling at this series. Incredibly well done remake. Nothing lost from the original, but a lot gained for it. Really showcased what an awesome SF story it is. One of the best of the franchises alongside Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, Babylon 5, Farscape, Space 1999, etc. ...

I really hope they do a quality job with Star Blazers 2199.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 am

Hmn wonder what this will be...

Sunrise Trademarks 'Buddy Complex' With Logo
Anime production studio Sunrise filed a trademark on "Buddy Complex" with a logo on October 1. The trademark was filed for use with trading card games, video games, clothing, music, and anime.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:36 am

Berserk Manga to Resume After Miura Runs 6-Chapter Mini-Series
This year's 22nd issue of Hakusensha's Young Animal magazine is announcing on Friday that Kentarou Miura will launch a brand-new original manga mini-series called Gigant Makia. The six-chapter story is set in a world 100 million years in the future, and it will begin with a 44-page chapter with a color opening page. Young Animal adds that Miura's Berserk manga will resume after his new mini-series.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:44 am

Tourism Campaign "OSAKA-POP" Official Character Design Contest

"OSAKA-POP" is a new tourism campaign featuring Japanese pop culture such as manga, anime, and cosplay, which is conducted by Osaka Government Tourism Bureau. They are now holding a character design contest for its official characters "Mio & Tsukushi" simultaneously worldwide. The grand prize money is 200,000 yen (about US$2,000).

If you are interested in and want to make your characters world-famous, please join the contest!
Check the English guidlines for more information.

More info at the links

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

sdsichero wrote:
I really hope they do a quality job with Star Blazers 2199.

I hope so too. Most dubs are crap, but some, like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist were terrific.

What gets me, is that so many will refuse to enjoy it as much, since it's animated, then if it were animated.

Example, my mom has become a big fan of the Avengers and related films all due to the Avengers. I found out this when visiting and she put on what she thought was one of the Iron Man movies with Downey on the cable. It was Rise of the Technovore. She turned it off since it was animated.

I'm still surprised that Avengers made my mother, who doesn't like sci-fi stuff nearly at all, a fan.

She is however, or was, a fan of Starblazers back when it first ran here. She watched it on her own when it went into repeats. So I hope the dub is good for her to enjoy, since subs are not for her at all.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum