Advertisement

Locked in a Strange Embrace with David Hine

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 828 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Damn Greg, if you wanna take over the whole front page for a day, just let me know. No need to post the largest pictures ever so they bleed into the side modules. :P Just kidding, I fixed em for ya.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Re: Locked in a Strange Embrace with David Hine

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 am

When was Strange Embrace originally published? The pages you posted in the article have a very cool, early nineties indy comic vibe to them. I have to pick this up, if I ever make it to the comic book store again.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Liked in: 0 post

Postby scottmdavis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 pm

i seriously would love to know what David's feelings about the retconning of Silent War and Son of M are.

two of the best marvel mini's in years.
[center]Image[/center]

David Hine
Faster Pussycat

Postby David Hine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Finally got around to comenting here. Great interview Greg. You wouldn't believe how many online interviews consist of the same six questions with 'fill in the blank', so it was good o get a real dialog going. Strange Embrace origianlly came out in 1993 so early nineties vibe may be about right (although I'm not sure my drawing style has changed that muchy in the intervening years).

Scott, thanks for the comments on the Marvel minis. How do I feel about the retconning of Silent War and Son of M? I think the only appropriate answer is 'No comment' although if you listen carefully you may hear the sound of teardrops pattering on my keyboard.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 pm

David Hine wrote:Finally got around to comenting here. Great interview Greg. You wouldn't believe how many online interviews consist of the same six questions with 'fill in the blank', so it was good o get a real dialog going. Strange Embrace origianlly came out in 1993 so early nineties vibe may be about right (although I'm not sure my drawing style has changed that muchy in the intervening years).

Scott, thanks for the comments on the Marvel minis. How do I feel about the retconning of Silent War and Son of M? I think the only appropriate answer is 'No comment' although if you listen carefully you may hear the sound of teardrops pattering on my keyboard.

Damn Marvel..

Wasn't it originally planned as a trilogy? what would have the third mini been about?
[center]Image[/center]

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Sorry to hear about that, David. Scott cried as well. :'(

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 pm

David Hine wrote:Finally got around to comenting here. Great interview Greg. You wouldn't believe how many online interviews consist of the same six questions with 'fill in the blank', so it was good o get a real dialog going. Strange Embrace origianlly came out in 1993 so early nineties vibe may be about right (although I'm not sure my drawing style has changed that muchy in the intervening years).

There was just something about Indy comics in that era (late eighties to early nineties) that had a particular feel to them... kind of like you were reading something... counter-culture? Rebellious? I'm not sure I can find the right words to describe it. Sometimes you read Indy comics today and they just feel like Marvel or DC comics with a lower budget (not that there aren't some good ones out there), but back then, the whole style just seemed completely different from what was going on in the mainstream of comics.

Scott, I agree about Silent War and Son of M, they were both awesome, particularly Son of M. Quicksilver was always a very interesting character and it was great to see him used in a way where not only did he get the spotlight for a while, but his character was able to grow in a way that made perfect sense given his history.

Question though - how was it retconned? Last I read, they seemed to be going with it in X-Factor. I haven't been to the shop in a month or two, and I have a lot of reading to catch up on though. Don't tell me if it was some kind of big reveal from Secret Invasion - I haven't read it yet.

scottmdavis
Factor 8

Postby scottmdavis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 am

well, at the end of silent war, black bolt was in prison on the moon, and in New Avengers: Illuminati its revealed that Black Bolt is actually Skrull.

so somewhere, BB got switched. Now, Mr Hine here could easily write a the third part dealing with the switch and make it all fit. So not really retconned, but just ignored really.
[center]Image[/center]

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum