Friday, June 24, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We put the lotion in the basket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I Love Blok

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:38 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:who the fuck is that black dude beside him? and who the hell designed that monstrosity of a costume...?


Tyroc. The first black Legionaire that only appeared a handful of times. Real waste of a character.
User avatar

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm

The Nacireman wrote:Tyroc. The first black Legionaire that only appeared a handful of times. Real waste of a character.


the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:43 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.


I think Levitz had problems with Tyroc's back-story (part of a society of black that excluded themselves from the rest of Earth.), iirc. To his credit he did, however, create Jaques Foccalt (the 2nd Invidible Kid) and his sister, who became Computo in the 5YG Legionaires series.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 pm

The Nacireman wrote:I think Levitz had problems with Tyroc's back-story (part of a society of black that excluded themselves from the rest of Earth.), iirc. To his credit he did, however, create Jaques Foccalt (the 2nd Invidible Kid) and his sister, who became Computo in the 5YG Legionaires series.


That and the simple fact that Tyroc was shuffled off to another dimension with Marzel aka Brigadooned Jamica.

He was potentially one of the best characters based on his powers. Think of those scenes in the David Lynch Dune flick. He makes his voice go funny and can have anything happen.

Tyroc's costume was designed by Mike Grell I believe. Could be wrong though.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:17 pm

SaturnKnight wrote:The blue & gold costume (which as I recall was designed by George Perez) is far superior to *this* monstrosity...

Image

I freakin' loathe the red pajama bottoms. :evil:

Gimme armor anyday over that crap.


Sorry, but no. That blue & gold costume was designed by Giffen or Lightle. The one in the cover was designed by Giffen.

Perez' costume design for Blok was the ugliest, it had chains and such on it.
User avatar

garion

Mad Hatter

Postby garion » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:23 pm

i love Blok. But then I love the White Witch too (boo, that she's the Black Witch, that bites!!!). I also love Sensor Girl, Timber, Shady, Dreamy, Cham, Brainy, oh the list goes on. I just loved Levitz's writing actually.

I did dig Tryoc and thought it was a waste of a character. He's so powerful. And I LOVE the Grell's costumes. They are the best. Projectra, Cosmic Boy, Tyroc, Shady. All of them are great!

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm

garion wrote:i love Blok. But then I love the White Witch too (boo, that she's the Black Witch, that bites!!!). I also love Sensor Girl, Timber, Shady, Dreamy, Cham, Brainy, oh the list goes on. I just loved Levitz's writing actually.

I did dig Tryoc and thought it was a waste of a character. He's so powerful. And I LOVE the Grell's costumes. They are the best. Projectra, Cosmic Boy, Tyroc, Shady. All of them are great!


Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Note, Grell's Colossal Boy costume was so hated back then, that it was changed back to the Dave Cockrum's design and that was a modified one!. :wink:

Image
User avatar

garion

Mad Hatter

Postby garion » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Note, Grell's Colossal Boy costume was so hated back then, that it was changed back to the Dave Cockrum's design and that was a modified one!. :wink:

Image

Oh. Thanks for that history correction. :D

Sheesh. What are you, the owner/writer of the LegionWiki? :wink:

And, no matter who created them, I still like all those costumes. But then, I'm easy. I mean, I hated Giffen's pouches/shoulder pad costumes, but really grew to love them and his "new" art style.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:10 pm

garion wrote:Oh. Thanks for that history correction. :D


No probs. :-D

garion wrote:Sheesh. What are you, the owner/writer of the LegionWiki? :wink:


:P :wink:

garion wrote:And, no matter who created them, I still like all those costumes. But then, I'm easy. I mean, I hated Giffen's pouches/shoulder pad costumes, but really grew to love them and his "new" art style.


A great many of the costumes are great. I've long thought of the Cockrum/Grell ones being designed with an "eternal summer" kind of view for the future. The Grell ones always looked good as he drew them, but others didn't seem to do all that well with them.

I think Giffen ended up designing more LoSH costumes then any one else. He did some of those one during the 80s, then the big change over when he returned to the title in the late 80s, when Polar Boy took over and then with the 5YG.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Note, Grell's Colossal Boy costume was so hated back then, that it was changed back to the Dave Cockrum's design and that was a modified one!. :wink:

Image


Honestly I liked Cockrum's original version of Gim's costume in Superboy #192 when it was blue, orange and brown. A really nice color combo you don't see too much.

Image
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:02 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.
Like with rock music, basketball, and refering to women in insulting terms, black people make things better. Tyroc is obvious proof that the Legion of Super-Heroes sucks donkey nuts hard and furiously.
User avatar

SaturnKnight

dINGO

Postby SaturnKnight » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:36 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Sorry, but no. That blue & gold costume was designed by Giffen or Lightle. The one in the cover was designed by Giffen.

Perez' costume design for Blok was the ugliest, it had chains and such on it.


Oh yeah! I remember that costume.
I loved it. :-D

And yes, Giffen is responsible for the truly hideous red pajama bottoms. :P
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 am

SaturnKnight wrote:Oh yeah! I remember that costume.
I loved it. :-D

And yes, Giffen is responsible for the truly hideous red pajama bottoms. :P



Let's abmit it: Blok, like The Thing or The Beast, is one of those characters who don't really need any real costume besides a pair of shorts.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 am

The Nacireman wrote:Let's abmit it: Blok, like The Thing or The Beast, is one of those characters who don't really need any real costume besides a pair of shorts.
Somehwere Namor is crying that he didn't make your list. :(

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

The Nacireman wrote:Honestly I liked Cockrum's original version of Gim's costume in Superboy #192 when it was blue, orange and brown. A really nice color combo you don't see too much.

Image


Just that once and it was then retconned out a few issues later, for the other Cockrum design.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clockwork_Fish, Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Herald, Johnnie Torch, Liam Moorhart, Mac E Tero, MikeinLA, Pizza Dog, Stephen Day, uz000 and 78 guests