Advertisement

I Love Blok

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:38 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:who the fuck is that black dude beside him? and who the hell designed that monstrosity of a costume...?

Tyroc. The first black Legionaire that only appeared a handful of times. Real waste of a character.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1206 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm

The Nacireman wrote:Tyroc. The first black Legionaire that only appeared a handful of times. Real waste of a character.

the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:43 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.

I think Levitz had problems with Tyroc's back-story (part of a society of black that excluded themselves from the rest of Earth.), iirc. To his credit he did, however, create Jaques Foccalt (the 2nd Invidible Kid) and his sister, who became Computo in the 5YG Legionaires series.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1207 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 pm

The Nacireman wrote:I think Levitz had problems with Tyroc's back-story (part of a society of black that excluded themselves from the rest of Earth.), iirc. To his credit he did, however, create Jaques Foccalt (the 2nd Invidible Kid) and his sister, who became Computo in the 5YG Legionaires series.

That and the simple fact that Tyroc was shuffled off to another dimension with Marzel aka Brigadooned Jamica.

He was potentially one of the best characters based on his powers. Think of those scenes in the David Lynch Dune flick. He makes his voice go funny and can have anything happen.

Tyroc's costume was designed by Mike Grell I believe. Could be wrong though.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:17 pm

SaturnKnight wrote:The blue & gold costume (which as I recall was designed by George Perez) is far superior to *this* monstrosity...

I freakin' loathe the red pajama bottoms. :evil:

Gimme armor anyday over that crap.

Sorry, but no. That blue & gold costume was designed by Giffen or Lightle. The one in the cover was designed by Giffen.

Perez' costume design for Blok was the ugliest, it had chains and such on it.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

garion
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby garion » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:23 pm

i love Blok. But then I love the White Witch too (boo, that she's the Black Witch, that bites!!!). I also love Sensor Girl, Timber, Shady, Dreamy, Cham, Brainy, oh the list goes on. I just loved Levitz's writing actually.

I did dig Tryoc and thought it was a waste of a character. He's so powerful. And I LOVE the Grell's costumes. They are the best. Projectra, Cosmic Boy, Tyroc, Shady. All of them are great!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm

garion wrote:i love Blok. But then I love the White Witch too (boo, that she's the Black Witch, that bites!!!). I also love Sensor Girl, Timber, Shady, Dreamy, Cham, Brainy, oh the list goes on. I just loved Levitz's writing actually.

I did dig Tryoc and thought it was a waste of a character. He's so powerful. And I LOVE the Grell's costumes. They are the best. Projectra, Cosmic Boy, Tyroc, Shady. All of them are great!

Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Note, Grell's Colossal Boy costume was so hated back then, that it was changed back to the Dave Cockrum's design and that was a modified one!. :wink:

garion
Mad Hatter

Postby garion » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Note, Grell's Colossal Boy costume was so hated back then, that it was changed back to the Dave Cockrum's design and that was a modified one!. :wink:

Oh. Thanks for that history correction. :D

Sheesh. What are you, the owner/writer of the LegionWiki? :wink:

And, no matter who created them, I still like all those costumes. But then, I'm easy. I mean, I hated Giffen's pouches/shoulder pad costumes, but really grew to love them and his "new" art style.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:10 pm

garion wrote:Oh. Thanks for that history correction. :D

No probs. :-D

garion wrote:Sheesh. What are you, the owner/writer of the LegionWiki? :wink:

:P :wink:

garion wrote:And, no matter who created them, I still like all those costumes. But then, I'm easy. I mean, I hated Giffen's pouches/shoulder pad costumes, but really grew to love them and his "new" art style.

A great many of the costumes are great. I've long thought of the Cockrum/Grell ones being designed with an "eternal summer" kind of view for the future. The Grell ones always looked good as he drew them, but others didn't seem to do all that well with them.

I think Giffen ended up designing more LoSH costumes then any one else. He did some of those one during the 80s, then the big change over when he returned to the title in the late 80s, when Polar Boy took over and then with the 5YG.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Uhmmm, Grell only designed Tyroc's, Cosmic Boy's, Colossal Boy's, Chlorophyll Kid's, Stone Boy's, Flame Lad's, Night Girl's and Dawnstar. Projectra's and Shady's were designed by Dave Cockrum and later made skimpier by Grell. CEILING DEITY BLESS MIKE GRELL! :-D

Honestly I liked Cockrum's original version of Gim's costume in Superboy #192 when it was blue, orange and brown. A really nice color combo you don't see too much.

- Sons of the Desert

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 629 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:02 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:the future love aliens races, but still hates black people.

such racists.
Like with rock music, basketball, and refering to women in insulting terms, black people make things better. Tyroc is obvious proof that the Legion of Super-Heroes sucks donkey nuts hard and furiously.

SaturnKnight
dINGO

Postby SaturnKnight » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:36 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Sorry, but no. That blue & gold costume was designed by Giffen or Lightle. The one in the cover was designed by Giffen.

Perez' costume design for Blok was the ugliest, it had chains and such on it.

Oh yeah! I remember that costume.
I loved it. :-D

And yes, Giffen is responsible for the truly hideous red pajama bottoms. :P

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 am

SaturnKnight wrote:Oh yeah! I remember that costume.
I loved it. :-D

And yes, Giffen is responsible for the truly hideous red pajama bottoms. :P

Let's abmit it: Blok, like The Thing or The Beast, is one of those characters who don't really need any real costume besides a pair of shorts.

- Sons of the Desert

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 661 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 am

The Nacireman wrote:Let's abmit it: Blok, like The Thing or The Beast, is one of those characters who don't really need any real costume besides a pair of shorts.
Somehwere Namor is crying that he didn't make your list. :(

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

The Nacireman wrote:Honestly I liked Cockrum's original version of Gim's costume in Superboy #192 when it was blue, orange and brown. A really nice color combo you don't see too much.

Just that once and it was then retconned out a few issues later, for the other Cockrum design.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum