Advertisement

Mark Waid is MAAADDD About Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 281 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Mark Waid is MAAADDD About Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Postby Herald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 pm

habitual wrote:
:lol:

Hab

I never even implied a lack of bias. :P

Advertisement

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
This should be repeated a billion times. In the world established in Man of Steel, this is the first time Superman has ever faced something of this magnitude. Of course he's going to fuck up.

Superman didn't fuck up, he just couldn't benefit from some fucking comic book cliche that would provide him with an easy way out.

I just got back from a second viewing and I gotta say, I have yet to read an actual valid criticism of this movie. Best Superman movie ever, even better then the guy appearing in the monthly comics.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 pm

No he definitely fucked up a time or two, but give him time and he'll get the whole idea of transferring the battle away from humans.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

The Beast
cheese

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Grayson wrote:
That's fine but this was a movie that was independent from the comics. Nothing in the movie before or after the incident occurs suggests that Clark doesn't understand or respect the sanctity of life. If you had watched the movie, you would know that Clark was profoundly effected by the magnitude of his decision and he didn't simply stand up, wash his hand, and whistle a tune as he skipped away.

You're right, Clark could have broken Zod's arms and legs first. I said that there were probably other options available. However, does that guarantee that Zod won't still obliterate a family with his heat vision first? You don't need arms and legs to incinerate somebody with heat vision. :smt102[/quote]

You don't need to resort to murder to poke out the eyes of somebody with heat vision. :smt102

In your opinion.
[/quote]

And in your opinion, it does. Neither of us should really need to spell this out.

The Superman depicted in Man of Steel was never meant to be an example of any one type of Superman, it is its own beast entirely.

This is going out to the public as representative of the true Superman. It is meant to be an example.

Just because he killed one guy, doesn't mean he is going to go around killing villains left or right.

Famous last words...

"Murder, mayhem, and destruction are not things that the average person would readily consider, but if you listen to the average fallen hero, jaded soldier or brutal knight, he'll tell you that it gets easier with time. After that first act of destruction, it becomes easier to stand doing it again, and eventually it becomes second nature. Heck, you may even forget why you braced yourself to do it in the first place."

If this "Superman" can justify doing it this time, he can more easily justify doing it the next time some supposedly unbeatable foe rears its head, in the next movie. And even more so the next time, and the next. And if he doesn't, both the people he protects and the viewers have every right to ask what's stopping him this time. That's why he shouldn't have walked through that door in the first place.

Let's face it, the makers of this movie were shooting for a Darker and Edgier Man of Steel. Like I said, the interviews were all over this take on Superman being "NOT your father's Superman!! :shock:" So I wasn't at all surprised to hear what he does in this movie. Just extremely disappointed.
Last edited by Herald on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Herald wrote:You don't need to resort to murder to poke out the eyes of somebody with heat vision. :smt102

Hasn't seen the movie, doesn't realize this probably wouldn't work.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:16 pm

But ultimately it's your loss, Herald. Time and great stuff continues to pass you by because you're too stuck in the past. I hate it for you, but it is what it is.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Herald wrote:You don't need to resort to murder to poke out the eyes of somebody with heat vision. :smt102

He needs two hands to restrain Zod, so when he goes for the gouge Zod will slip free, burn his hands and kill the civilians. Besides, neck breaking is humane and compassionate compared to the eye gouge scenario you propose.

You could go see the context of the scene in question before pass judgement.

Just a thought. :lol:

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 pm

BTW, movie was no grim or grittier than say Iron Man.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:25 pm

syxxpakk wrote:No he definitely fucked up a time or two, but give him time and he'll get the whole idea of transferring the battle away from humans.

When you watch westerns, do you fault the Sheriff for not hosting the gunfight outside of town? At some point you gotta forgive the genre. That standoff in Smallville was a classic shootout, cameras over the fist looking down the street.

Besides, the Air Force initiated the battle by lighting up main street with 30mm caliber cannon fire before any Kryptonians threw a punch.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Sheriff doesn't have the power to destroy the world. Superman will get it, though. He's just starting, fresh out the block.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 pm

syxxpakk wrote:BTW, movie was no grim or grittier than say Iron Man.

As I've said more than once, I expect Marvel "heroes" to be gritty, to fall short of being a role model because they're too busy representing us fallible mortals while wearing funny outfits. Thus befits the Crapsack World that is the Marvel Universe. But the DC Universe and its characters are on a higher plane. They are supposed to be better than us. And that ESPECIALLY goes for Superman, the prime representative of the DC Universe.

I expect the Man of Iron to booze, womanize, and yes, resort to killing because, for all his smarts, he can't think of a Third Option.

I expect BETTER than that from the Man of Steel.

Handling horrible villains without killing is what makes a TRUE Superman Super, man.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 pm

LOL. OK.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 pm

habitual wrote:
:lol: I think you're taking the neck snapping thing a bit too far.

The hysterics over this are a bit overblown imo, a cop would've been justified shooting someone threatening other people's lives, but, when it's Superman it's not ok?

Hab

Cops are also permitted to use deadly force if necessary since they're like, you know, cops. This isn't rocket science here.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 pm

syxxpakk wrote:But ultimately it's your loss, Herald. Time and great stuff continues to pass you by because you're too stuck in the past. I hate it for you, but it is what it is.

No, it's your loss. You miss out on the true essence of this great character because you're so cynical that you will accept Superman resorting to murder to stop a villain.

If this sort of "grim and gritty" morass is all we can expect from DC superhero movies from now on, that loss will only multiply.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum