Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 5 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Amoebas wrote:Wasn't all that impressed with ep 01. Even less so after ep 02.

Pretty boy Bond Jr. is just awful in every aspect.
Skye being a traitor - yawn. Even if she's doing it as a double agent is still boring.

Jackson's 72 seconds was better than the entirety of the rest of the show.

:oops:

I joygasmed like any fanyboy.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Sci-girl's not generic? The science twins are not just generic, they're literally lifted straight out of Mass Effect 2 and 3, where they were part of your crew. And dude was Scottish there too.

She's a cutie! But otherwise generic... come to think of it... Whedon Women generic too...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Sci-girl's not generic? The science twins are not just generic, they're literally lifted straight out of Mass Effect 2 and 3, where they were part of your crew. And dude was Scottish there too.

I wonder if that's true. It wouldn't surprise me. Writers now more than ever are constantly immersing themselves in worlds other people have created, and not worlds they've created themselves. You can read all about it in their tweets and facebook posts, and the bleedover shows in the writing of any mainstream comic book writers (like Matt Fraction, now trying to write the Inhumans as Game Of Thrones after trying to write Fantastic Four like Doctor Who). Fraction should have stuck to mining Moorcock's less known books.

Random Marvel property + what everyone is watching on TV = Matt Fraction?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I wonder if that's true. It wouldn't surprise me. Writers now more than ever are constantly immersing themselves in worlds other people have created, and not worlds they've created themselves. You can read all about it in their tweets and facebook posts, and the bleedover shows in the writing of any mainstream comic book writers (like Matt Fraction, now trying to write the Inhumans as Game Of Thrones after trying to write Fantastic Four like Doctor Who). Fraction should have stuck to mining Moorcock's less known books.

Random Marvel property + what everyone is watching on TV = Matt Fraction?

Thing is, that's always happened. Mine what's popular elsewhere. Or stories that they liked. The 70s and 80s had tons of adaptions of popular sci-fi and action stories.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm

It's OK, but nothing really groundbreaking at the moment. Show badly needs a story setting moment to get everyone invested more into it. It's more like Whedon's old monster of the week formula which we've seen way too many times in the past.

Plus watching this right after Person of Interest....doesn't even come close in quality IMO so that's a big downside.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm

They talk in interviews about how the show has to have lots of romance, meaning Skye hooking up with someone of course. :roll:

Chessack
Garbage Collector

Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 pm

I thought this episode was a little better than the first but it's still not great. The whole thing was utterly predictable except for a few specific details. Once again I thought the dialogue was poor and frequently very unnatural. And the way the team all worked together suddenly was just a little too perfect.

If as some people are grumbling about, this show is copying from others, it's a shame they're not looking at well-written shows for inspiration.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:The real problem with this show is that Whedon is trying to create as much as possible to own. New characters, organizations... until he stops using the Marvel stuff as a crutch to up hold the rest... this show is coasting on the Avengers fame.

Whedon Women could not save Firefly nor Dollhouse. I doubt they will here.

What he needs to do is drop trying to do his own show and calling it SHIELD and really do a SHIELD show. Use the characters. Use the groups.

I was wondering why he could not be using Bobbi Chase aka Mockingbird instead of Ming Na the cliche stiff. Why not Jimmy Woo as the ass kicking young field agent? The Contessa? The ton of SHIELD characters from the various series?

I'm not seeing how this is really playing with the Marvel U other then name dropping.

Now.. get Ming Na nekkid or dancing in a harem girl outfit along with the other babes so I can shut up. And more Lola.

This is kind of why Firefly lacked all fun for me until the Operative showed up in Serenity, because he was a fantastic foil to the crew. Buffy didn't get really going until she found Spike and Dru then Angel becoming Angelus. Angel? It showcased it's big bad the entire time with Wolfram and Hart.

That's what this show needs. It needs someone you hate so much, but love their antics. They need a Sark. A Scorpius. They need an engaging reoccurring villain stat.

Why Dollhouse floundered for me. They never got that villain you hated by secretly rooted for.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:59 pm

"SHIELD proto-typed the first wrist-communicator in 1936". Seriously, did they just take credit for Dick Tracy's 2-way Wrist communicator that debuted 10 years later in 1946 ? :lol:

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Yup. I can't imagine ever wanting to re-watch this show so far. A potential traitor in the group everyone already knows about is not intriguing espionage either. :lol:

Hey, they're playing to Peoria here, not to the smarts. This is supposed to more of an action show, more NCIS: Los Angeles than the original NCIS or CSI. Writing's not top-notch, but it wasn't bottom of the bird cage, either.

I liked this ep better than the pilot. The combination of hard British-Scottish-Irish-whatever-they-are accents and techobabble is still annoying, though.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 pm

Amoebas wrote:Wasn't all that impressed with ep 01. Even less so after ep 02.

Pretty boy Bond Jr. is just awful in every aspect.
Skye being a traitor - yawn. Even if she's doing it as a double agent is still boring.

Jackson's 72 seconds was better than the entirety of the rest of the show.

Statements like this is why I quit doubting myself over which one of us was right about DC dumping the Threeboot for the Neo-Classic Legion. (Hint: I was right, he wasn't)

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:The real problem with this show is that Whedon is trying to create as much as possible to own. New characters, organizations... until he stops using the Marvel stuff as a crutch to up hold the rest... this show is coasting on the Avengers fame.

Whedon Women could not save Firefly nor Dollhouse. I doubt they will here.

What he needs to do is drop trying to do his own show and calling it SHIELD and really do a SHIELD show. Use the characters. Use the groups.

I was wondering why he could not be using Bobbi Chase aka Mockingbird instead of Ming Na the cliche stiff. Why not Jimmy Woo as the ass kicking young field agent? The Contessa? The ton of SHIELD characters from the various series?

I'm not seeing how this is really playing with the Marvel U other then name dropping.

Now.. get Ming Na nekkid or dancing in a harem girl outfit along with the other babes so I can shut up. And more Lola.

Because Marvel didn't want him too, maybe? Maybe they want to save Mockingbird for the movies or something?

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:44 pm

xshane666x wrote:I liked episode one....episode 2 just dropped drastically...generic camo shirt guys and awkward acting...the cameo at the end was about all i enjoyed tonight. :-(

This doesn't feel like Joss anymore...I feel like he doesn't do a whole lot of the writing.

Well, that is what the Peruvian military wears? :smt017

I tried looking for a site with the most current fatigues that the Peruvian armed forces wear, but I couldn't find anything authoritative. Some pics had them in 80's-style jungle camo, some with more US-like digital camo, and some with other versions. Nothing was really time-dated, so It was hard to tell what was the most current images.

- Sons of the Desert

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 am

Chessack wrote:I thought this episode was a little better than the first but it's still not great. The whole thing was utterly predictable except for a few specific details. Once again I thought the dialogue was poor and frequently very unnatural. And the way the team all worked together suddenly was just a little too perfect.

If as some people are grumbling about, this show is copying from others, it's a shame they're not looking at well-written shows for inspiration.

It's funny, Amy compliments this show's dialog compared to a lot of the other new shows we've tried recently (like Under the Dome) and finds it believable. I liked this episode, more than the first episode. I think that maybe it shoudn't be approached as something expected to be aimed at comic book fans. Like the Marvel movies, it's aimed at the mainstream.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 am

Do people really think the fanservice appearance of Fury really salvaged this ep? :lol:

The shows problem so far outside of the awkward dialog is the sheer amount of fanservice and borrowing from movie themes to the point it's using them as a crutch while failing to develop its own depth.

It needs something standalone to reestablish that SHIELD is an espionage agency trying to adapt to a post-Avengers world. Series needed an enemy's face or name from the pilot. Every whedon pilot at least did that to give us an antagonist, but this one totally missed the mark in that regard.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum