Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Amoebas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:"SHIELD proto-typed the first wrist-communicator in 1936". Seriously, did they just take credit for Dick Tracy's 2-way Wrist communicator that debuted 10 years later in 1946 ? :lol:

I thought that too - but the Walkie-Talkie wasn't even invented until 1937 so...

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Do people really think the fanservice appearance of Fury really salvaged this ep? :lol:

For me it wasn't fan-service. It was one of the few scenes without any 'beautiful' people in it that made it for me.

Coulson really is the only decent character - the rest, as nearly all the above posts confirm, are cliches wrapped in Cosmo/GQ clothing. The less screen time, the better.

Skye for instance - no one who lives in a van and pisses in a bucket should look that hot all the time. The guy who plays Ward must have been hired because of his looks (because his acting sure isn't going to win any awards).

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 am

I didn't watch it how did my my girl skye look ?

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 am

Zechs wrote:It needs a villain, a physical villain, not Rising Tide as an organization. Someone not tied to the movies, but also is big enough for comic fans to go :smt118

This show so needs a Madame Hydra, Zemo, and Strucker or an A.I.M. Scientist Supreme. I'd settle for Yelena Belova since she's small but enough to be a recurring threat. What's good a show if there's no recurring threat?

Maybe the Peruvian lady will wind up becoming Madame Masque or something...?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 am

The quote I posted from Loeb about writing it for your grandmas informs why the show is awful. Making a tv show "accessible", which is a dumb thing to say anyway, isn't the same as making it stupid and cliche'd. And it's not the strategy that packs the viewers and pirates both in for shows like Game Of Thrones or Breaking Bad. What they're doing with SHIELD is the exact opposite, and it'll have the opposite effect before long as well. 75% of new network shows are cancelled in a season these days, and if ABC/Disney keep this one on life support it will only be as a virtual subsidy in service to the movie franchise.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

Are Doom/Latveria and Magneto off the table as far as IP that can be included in the show?

Hab

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 am

better than ep 1, but not by much
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 am

I really like this show. Is it ground breaking? No but I like cheesy and action adventure.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Plenty of great stuff
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Do people really think the fanservice appearance of Fury really salvaged this ep? :lol:

The shows problem so far outside of the awkward dialog is the sheer amount of fanservice and borrowing from movie themes to the point it's using them as a crutch while failing to develop its own depth.

It needs something standalone to reestablish that SHIELD is an espionage agency trying to adapt to a post-Avengers world. Series needed an enemy's face or name from the pilot. Every whedon pilot at least did that to give us an antagonist, but this one totally missed the mark in that regard.

Uh, Rising Tide?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 am

Meh, I'll give it another episode or two, but unless they up the feel of being in the Marvel universe a bit more, better the writing, and make those magazine cover actors do a better job, I'm gone then. Just mentioning that there are gods and superheroes once or twice an episode doesn't do it for me.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:08 pm

I like how the super-secret SHIELD base shoots a rocket that could be easily spotted.

And I absolutely love when the bad guy is being sucked out of an airplane but they're clutching onto the hero's arm - and then the hero tells them to "HANG ON!".
First - why hang on to them if they just tried to kill you?
Second - is telling them to "HANG ON!" a suggestion they hadn't yet considered? :lol:

And last night's show did this twice! :lol: :lol:

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Uh, Rising Tide?

It needs a face to that threat. What good is an organization without a face to it that antagonizes the heroes?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's funny, Amy compliments this show's dialog compared to a lot of the other new shows we've tried recently (like Under the Dome) and finds it believable. I liked this episode, more than the first episode. I think that maybe it shoudn't be approached as something expected to be aimed at comic book fans. Like the Marvel movies, it's aimed at the mainstream.

All I'm hearing is that you and Amy have the same taste in TV as Nacireman..

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Zechs wrote:
It needs a face to that threat. What good is an organization without a face to it that antagonizes the heroes?

Some modeling agency in clean pressed fatigues maybe.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:35 pm

habitual wrote:Are Doom/Latveria and Magneto off the table as far as IP that can be included in the show?

Hab

Yeah because Fox is full of morons who don't understand how much stronger their branding/marketing would be by sharing a cohesive universe.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum