Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 863 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Grayson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:30 pm

I finally got around to watching the second episode of this series the other night and I was extremely disappointed. The quality took a dramatic and negative turn from the pilot, which is saying something considering the pilot wasn't that great to begin with.

The Good
- Skye is easily the most interesting new character that has been introduced in this series. I like the theory that she may be Jessica Drew but I suspect that something else is going on here.
- I still enjoy having Phil Coulson around but I agree that his performance in this episode bordered on cheesy. However, I do appreciate the fact that he never lost his confidence in his team and he held is composure.

The Bad
- I'm sorry but I really can not stand Fitz and Simmons. They remind me of Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend from Prometheus. Sure, they mean well but I would almost put money on the fact that Simmons will do something that will get Fitz killed or severely injured by the end of the season.
- Ward is just terrible. Zachary Levi was more believable as special agent Charles Carmichael during the early years of Chuck than Brett Dalton is here.

The In-Between
- Melinda May is intriguing enough but her gruff exterior and not wanting to talk about her past is ridiculously cliche. This character and her story could go either way at this point.
- Did I miss something or did the weapon in question during this episode go from being an ancient, alien artifact to being produced by the Peruvian government?
- Nick Fury popping up really wasn't that surprising, considering the fact that he is the head of the organization that this show is about.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 714 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Grayson wrote:I finally got around to watching the second episode of this series the other night and I was extremely disappointed. The quality took a dramatic and negative turn from the pilot, which is saying something considering the pilot wasn't that great to begin with.

The Good
- Skye is easily the most interesting new character that has been introduced in this series. I like the theory that she may be Jessica Drew but I suspect that something else is going on here.
- I still enjoy having Phil Coulson around but I agree that his performance in this episode bordered on cheesy. However, I do appreciate the fact that he never lost his confidence in his team and he held is composure.

The Bad
- I'm sorry but I really can not stand Fitz and Simmons. They remind me of Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend from Prometheus. Sure, they mean well but I would almost put money on the fact that Simmons will do something that will get Fitz killed or severely injured by the end of the season.
- Ward is just terrible. Zachary Levi was more believable as special agent Charles Carmichael during the early years of Chuck than Brett Dalton is here.

The In-Between
- Melinda May is intriguing enough but her gruff exterior and not wanting to talk about her past is ridiculously cliche. This character and her story could go either way at this point.
- Did I miss something or did the weapon in question during this episode go from being an ancient, alien artifact to being produced by the Peruvian government?
- Nick Fury popping up really wasn't that surprising, considering the fact that he is the head of the organization that this show is about.

Skye, Chloe Bennet, looks like she could pass for Jessica Drew.

"Venom Blast!"

She's got the hair, the face and the build.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm totally geekwishing, but Spider-Woman on the TV show would be both awesome and appropriate. Jessica Drew is nigh-to-never getting the feature film treatment, but to use a Spider-oriented Marvel character on TV would be pretty damn cool and get some ratings.
-

wowbrow
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post
Title: wats going on here then?

Postby wowbrow » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 am

I posted this in another thread, but figured I'd repeat it here:

The dialogue has unfunny one-liners shoehorned in every possible moment at the expense of character, the actors are beautiful at the expense of ability, and the antagonists are shitty offcuts from the movies at the expense of drawing from the rich history of the comics.

Thats what I think about it. I really wanted to like it, but there we go.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 pm

The opening was going pretty good until the main cast appeared.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

"I had a brother who beat the crap out of me for eating a piece of his birthday cake."

:roll: :lol:

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 pm

That's one FANCY semi!

huh... Skye's actually telling him the truth (after taking out her earpiece). Thats one way to get in.

Not really susprised that he doesn't want to go... but I'm glad that he's trying to contain the weapon.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 312 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The opening was going pretty good until the main cast appeared.

That's exactly when I switched over to CW's "The Originals" :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 pm

This episode reminds me of Oolong Island.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Gee... I wonder what happened to Coulson's "muscle memory". :roll: 8)

anyone think he really is "just rusty"? Yeah, me neither.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, not only does Skye get used as a sexualized pawn by more powerful male characters, but in the end she even has to be rescued by another man and then taught a lesson by him too.

This is one progressive and not-cliche'd TV show!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Graviton

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 714 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Skye running around in a wet dress with her neckline plunging deeper!!! :-D

Coulsen is an LMD.

So unless they plan on giving a TON of fanservice of her... this show may not make it to a second season.
They need to step and bring in the classic agents, the Super Agents and some minor characters that will not go to the movies.

And The Behemoth helicarrier.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Having a lot of trouble with this show.

A lot of what made Coulsen fun in the various movies seems absent when he's the focal character.

The two tech characters are like furniture that occasionally speaks. They don't seem to have much in the way of personality.

James Bond Jr. isn't really charming enough, and his canned bad-assery isn't looking too believable. And if Ming-Na Wen is going to get more physical on the team, their roles seem like they're going to overlap.

So far, the only one I care about is Skye, and I'm really not sure if that's because I like her character, or just because I wish to adapt her biological and technological distinctiveness to service me.

Whenever I watch this show, I feel like I'm missing other shows. I want to like it. I was stoked to hear about it. But it's just not doing it for me.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

HNutz wrote:Gee... I wonder what happened to Coulson's "muscle memory". :roll: 8)

anyone think he really is "just rusty"? Yeah, me neither.

Chun Li knows what happened to him or what he is. I swear some the reason Coulson felt so off tonight was to remind folks how on he was during the One-Shots. This wasn't a bad episode but they could build on a lot of the promise this episode showed. We at least have a possible recurring threat in Ian Quinn now.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum