Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8344
Likes: 467 posts
Liked in: 863 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Grayson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:30 pm

I finally got around to watching the second episode of this series the other night and I was extremely disappointed. The quality took a dramatic and negative turn from the pilot, which is saying something considering the pilot wasn't that great to begin with.

The Good
- Skye is easily the most interesting new character that has been introduced in this series. I like the theory that she may be Jessica Drew but I suspect that something else is going on here.
- I still enjoy having Phil Coulson around but I agree that his performance in this episode bordered on cheesy. However, I do appreciate the fact that he never lost his confidence in his team and he held is composure.

The Bad
- I'm sorry but I really can not stand Fitz and Simmons. They remind me of Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend from Prometheus. Sure, they mean well but I would almost put money on the fact that Simmons will do something that will get Fitz killed or severely injured by the end of the season.
- Ward is just terrible. Zachary Levi was more believable as special agent Charles Carmichael during the early years of Chuck than Brett Dalton is here.

The In-Between
- Melinda May is intriguing enough but her gruff exterior and not wanting to talk about her past is ridiculously cliche. This character and her story could go either way at this point.
- Did I miss something or did the weapon in question during this episode go from being an ancient, alien artifact to being produced by the Peruvian government?
- Nick Fury popping up really wasn't that surprising, considering the fact that he is the head of the organization that this show is about.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66974
Likes: 961 posts
Liked in: 714 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Grayson wrote:I finally got around to watching the second episode of this series the other night and I was extremely disappointed. The quality took a dramatic and negative turn from the pilot, which is saying something considering the pilot wasn't that great to begin with.

The Good
- Skye is easily the most interesting new character that has been introduced in this series. I like the theory that she may be Jessica Drew but I suspect that something else is going on here.
- I still enjoy having Phil Coulson around but I agree that his performance in this episode bordered on cheesy. However, I do appreciate the fact that he never lost his confidence in his team and he held is composure.

The Bad
- I'm sorry but I really can not stand Fitz and Simmons. They remind me of Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend from Prometheus. Sure, they mean well but I would almost put money on the fact that Simmons will do something that will get Fitz killed or severely injured by the end of the season.
- Ward is just terrible. Zachary Levi was more believable as special agent Charles Carmichael during the early years of Chuck than Brett Dalton is here.

The In-Between
- Melinda May is intriguing enough but her gruff exterior and not wanting to talk about her past is ridiculously cliche. This character and her story could go either way at this point.
- Did I miss something or did the weapon in question during this episode go from being an ancient, alien artifact to being produced by the Peruvian government?
- Nick Fury popping up really wasn't that surprising, considering the fact that he is the head of the organization that this show is about.


Skye, Chloe Bennet, looks like she could pass for Jessica Drew.

Image
"Venom Blast!"
Image

She's got the hair, the face and the build.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33641
Likes: 959 posts
Liked in: 515 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby outsider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm totally geekwishing, but Spider-Woman on the TV show would be both awesome and appropriate. Jessica Drew is nigh-to-never getting the feature film treatment, but to use a Spider-oriented Marvel character on TV would be pretty damn cool and get some ratings.
-

wowbrow
User avatar
A Quagmire
 
Posts: 16
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 am
Title: wats going on here then?


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby wowbrow » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 am

I posted this in another thread, but figured I'd repeat it here:

The dialogue has unfunny one-liners shoehorned in every possible moment at the expense of character, the actors are beautiful at the expense of ability, and the antagonists are shitty offcuts from the movies at the expense of drawing from the rich history of the comics.

Thats what I think about it. I really wanted to like it, but there we go.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 pm

The opening was going pretty good until the main cast appeared.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

"I had a brother who beat the crap out of me for eating a piece of his birthday cake."

:roll: :lol:

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14678
Likes: 3622 posts
Liked in: 494 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Online


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 pm

That's one FANCY semi!

huh... Skye's actually telling him the truth (after taking out her earpiece). Thats one way to get in.

Not really susprised that he doesn't want to go... but I'm glad that he's trying to contain the weapon.

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 10827
Likes: 451 posts
Liked in: 312 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The opening was going pretty good until the main cast appeared.


That's exactly when I switched over to CW's "The Originals" :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 20403
Likes: 172 posts
Liked in: 338 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Amoebas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 pm

This episode reminds me of Oolong Island.

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14678
Likes: 3622 posts
Liked in: 494 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Online


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Gee... I wonder what happened to Coulson's "muscle memory". :roll: 8)

anyone think he really is "just rusty"? Yeah, me neither.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, not only does Skye get used as a sexualized pawn by more powerful male characters, but in the end she even has to be rescued by another man and then taught a lesson by him too.

This is one progressive and not-cliche'd TV show!

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 20403
Likes: 172 posts
Liked in: 338 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Amoebas » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Graviton

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66974
Likes: 961 posts
Liked in: 714 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Skye running around in a wet dress with her neckline plunging deeper!!! :-D

Coulsen is an LMD.

So unless they plan on giving a TON of fanservice of her... this show may not make it to a second season.
They need to step and bring in the classic agents, the Super Agents and some minor characters that will not go to the movies.

And The Behemoth helicarrier.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Strict31 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Having a lot of trouble with this show.

A lot of what made Coulsen fun in the various movies seems absent when he's the focal character.

The two tech characters are like furniture that occasionally speaks. They don't seem to have much in the way of personality.

James Bond Jr. isn't really charming enough, and his canned bad-assery isn't looking too believable. And if Ming-Na Wen is going to get more physical on the team, their roles seem like they're going to overlap.

So far, the only one I care about is Skye, and I'm really not sure if that's because I like her character, or just because I wish to adapt her biological and technological distinctiveness to service me.

Whenever I watch this show, I feel like I'm missing other shows. I want to like it. I was stoked to hear about it. But it's just not doing it for me.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Zechs
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 43832
Likes: 121 posts
Liked in: 190 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: From Parts Unknown
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D


Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

HNutz wrote:Gee... I wonder what happened to Coulson's "muscle memory". :roll: 8)

anyone think he really is "just rusty"? Yeah, me neither.


Chun Li knows what happened to him or what he is. I swear some the reason Coulson felt so off tonight was to remind folks how on he was during the One-Shots. This wasn't a bad episode but they could build on a lot of the promise this episode showed. We at least have a possible recurring threat in Ian Quinn now.
Image
Image

Image


sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], psbot [Picsearch] and 62 guests

Advertisement